Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
quick123

Lagoon home! Help me make it more beautiful, please.

Quick123
10 years ago
Located right on the lagoon. Landscaping needs help. Pool needs to be refreshed and interior can use TLC. In summary, I need serious guidance.

It's all about Cost vs Value for resale.

Comments (199)

• libradesigneye
    9 years ago
    Plant a native 15 gallon something about as tall as the heater on the curve in front of all the pipes / filter (i know, wrong time of year to plant). Use a large neutral container with a potato bush and plant it just before closing.
  • rcnj
    9 years ago
    Hi Quick, to stage the gazebo, go to Craigslist. I just did a search for "wicker chair" and there are quite a few for sale in S. Jersey for $20 to $60 each. Not sure if they are in your area, but worth looking at. Posted June 25 is an entire set: two chairs, coffee table and love seat in Ocean City for $100. If you want to spray paint them, there are more options. Kathryn is right about getting lattice to screen the pool equipment. Even though it is technically see-through, it really makes a difference. What are you going to do about the pergola?
  • apple_pie_order
    9 years ago
    Gazebo looks great, all fresh paint and lovely. A table and seating for four, add a bottle of French lemonade and four bright plastic glasses. Add geraniums in full bloom around the border bed. If that costs too much, use two pots of blooming annuals at the entrance and throw some nice shredded bark on the bare dirt.

Excellent job on this one.
  • Quick123
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    rcnj: Pergola, may just be written off as a loss. unless you're convinced that it is a must have. is it?
    Will research the wicker chairs - thanks for your effort on Craigs.
    Apple Pie: nah, lemonade will attract mosquitoes and all the good stuff. Will follow through with plants idea. but i need a landscaper...? seriously, 2 of them i had already, are no good. any NJ locals on board?
  • apple_pie_order
    9 years ago
    You don't open the lemonade!
  • rcnj
    9 years ago
    Not a must-have but I sure would get a refund, now that you have pics to prove it collapsed really fast. You should join Sam's Club or BJs. They usually have cedar or wood pergolas in the summer. They also ship even crazy big stuff like that in less than a week.

To fill the empty space, you could probably just put in a four-chair patio set with umbrella and a lounge chair or two. Back to Craig's List! There's an insane number of patio sets of all kinds for sale, even teak. It's a bit of a hassle but nice things can be found if you're diligent. And you can include it in the house sale.

What's left for professionals to landscape? Looks like you can do the rest yourself. Geraniums alternated with grass spikes, four-to-six bags of mulch, and you're done in two hours. Or look around at who's mowing the neighborhood lawns and hire them.
    Quick123 thanked rcnj
  • Quick123
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    rcnj: believe it or not, i have asked neighboring landscapers, they all say they are too busy. It may not be too tough to finish, but i'm clueless. Also, not sure if and how to work this sprinkler system. every landscaper said something else. i know landscaping is so important and willing to pay what it takes to make lawn look "popping", but i cant find the right company. don't meant to complain (but i'll complain anyway, lol)
  • Quick123
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    regarding painting the front deck and rear deck around pool, I will do that. question: to paint the concrete driveway as well the same 2 shades darker than vinyl siding, or leave as is?
  • rcnj
    9 years ago
    People in Jersey are turning down work?!!! I am shocked. But then I have 7 slacker cousins down there, so it shouldn't surprise me too much. It seems like you are down to the bit where you just need guys with shovels to plant and mulch. Is that correct? There are ways to find people like that. And if that is the case, we can help explain exactly what to buy and where to put it. For the irrigation, post photos of what is confusing. Is it on a timer system? What brand is printed on the sprinkler heads? Is it one of those cursed soaker hose setups? Oh BTW, shore lawns always look parched, so don't stress too much on that. Lawn Doctor can sometimes be useful, though. For that super-green chemical look.
  • rcnj
    9 years ago
    Hi Quick, I just had a thought about your irrigation system: It's possible in your town that the installer had to get a permit. If so, the town will have a record and possibly a diagram of the installation. It also will tell you who did the original work, and maybe you can call them to come look at it and tell you how to operate it. You will probably need to find the underground valve box to check the solenoid(s).
    Quick123 thanked rcnj
  • PRO
    Kathryn Peltier Design
    9 years ago
    Might as well stain the driveway, too, since the concrete continues right up to the porch.
    https://www.houzz.com/photos/834-preston-way-exterior-traditional-exterior-denver-phvw-vp~1825299
    Quick123 thanked Kathryn Peltier Design
  • Quick123
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Is this what he had in mind? or color is no good?
  • PRO
    Kathryn Peltier Design
    9 years ago
    Hate to tell you, but it just looks like wet concrete. Color needs to be warmer.
  • Quick123
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    it is mushroom tan Glidden exterior paint, Satin finish. HD chose as it was 2 shades darker than siding. Let me get some better photos before i redo. in the meantime i stopped the painting.
  • rcnj
    9 years ago
    Is the grey color the primer? That means the color on the roller is the mushroom tan? If so, it is a bit yellow and makes the siding look pink. Try taking a pic with the flash on. It is sometimes more accurate.
    Quick123 thanked rcnj
  • nwduck
    9 years ago
    On my computer, the tan looks great. Nice and clean, goes with the house.
  • libradesigneye
    9 years ago
    I'm not sure it is a problem given your goal. I would have chosen stain over paint for maintenance reasons but this is not offensive and should show well. Probably cooler this way which can be important in your climate!!
  • rcnj
    9 years ago
    The color looks good against the edge of the pool and the low wall, which are reddish, so maybe it's just a photo problem. If you think the color is too yellow against the house, try a sample with a bit of blue. Sometimes a greenish yellow will bring out the yellow in a pinkish beige. Sorry, best explanation I can come up with!
  • Quick123
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    in case it is a photo problem, attached are some more pix, (taken with flash, per suggestion). I did stop the painting until we get confirmation that it is ok to continue. I think it looks much nicer... what say you?
  • Quick123
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Foyer light fixture, Kitchen, Dining Room, Bath. Good, bad or ugly?
  • Quick123
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Kitchen progress
  • rcnj
    9 years ago
    I don't think the color is dark enough. There isn't enough contrast with the siding color. As a comparison, look at how dark the concrete is. You should sample a darker version of that color. But the pool looks very nice, and I see you've got the pergola upright again. Good progress. I am terrible at choosing lighting, so I will defer to Kathryn!
    Quick123 thanked rcnj
  • Quick123
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    RCNJ, Pool deck was already painted. Can I just do driveway and front deck a different color or do you feel that the pool deck should be redone to a darker color? any specific color you can suggest? ...and yes, Pergola is back up (for now). good eye!
  • nwduck
    9 years ago
    Pool deck that color isn't going to be a deal breaker, I should think. Maybe you could do the front entry concrete in a blue/gray. That should go with the new shutter color, I would imagine. Do you NEED to paint the driveway? I'd just power wash it, to be honest.
    Quick123 thanked nwduck
  • Quick123
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Im being told to paint the front decks, while doing so i might as well include the driveway. blue grey wont be too loud?
  • nwduck
    9 years ago
    Personal opinion....painted driveways seem like a maintenance issue waiting to happen. Just went back and looked at the photos....if it's clean concrete in good shape, which it seems to be, leave it. If you do the front entry concrete a darker color that reflects the accent shutters, it will seem more like a "porch", and hide any repairs you may have made to it (as I recall there were some needed).
  • rcnj
    9 years ago
    I agree with nwduck. If you paint anything, just do the porch, unless there are driveway repairs that make it look patchy. A guideline for color could be the grey shutters. Get the sample card and look at the color that is two shades darker. (You go TWO shades because the eye has trouble distinguishing the shades that are next to each other, in case you were wondering.) Or find something close to what the concrete is now. Sometimes when I am looking for a color, I start out asking myself if the current color is OK in terms of hue (actual color) and/or intensity (lightness/darkness). You could look at "Web Grey" from Sherwin Williams, but it might be too blue. It is probably the right saturation though. It's on my porch floor (which is wood). You should invest in color decks from all the major paint companies. The SW one was $10 when I bought it a couple years ago.
    Quick123 thanked rcnj
  • PRO
    Kathryn Peltier Design
    9 years ago
    If you use masonry STAIN you can do the driveway too.
  • Quick123
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    What color Stain? Can it be different than front deck color?
  • PRO
    Kathryn Peltier Design
    9 years ago
    By front deck color, do you mean the pool deck? Here is a Sherwin Williams masonry stain chart. It's very hard to select a color, especially since you already have one on the pool deck - I think they should be similar. Having said that, though I would tend to think that maybe the Autumn Brown would work? You are going to have to select this. Take ia sample of the pool deck color you have and compare it with the masonry stain colors wherever you're going to get it. http://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/color/find-and-explore-colors/stain-colors/concrete-stains/hc-concrete-stain-solid-color-waterbased/
  • Quick123
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    front deck, meaning, front Porch (where the 2 red chairs will be placed eventually)
  • PRO
    Kathryn Peltier Design
    9 years ago
    Quick, while I don't dislike the chandelier in the kitchen, I think it is too traditional looking for the cabinets. Something a bit more contemporary or even transitional would work. How about this one? On sale at World Market for $39.99 http://www.worldmarket.com/product/hammered+metal+pendant+lamp.do?&from=fn
  • PRO
    Kathryn Peltier Design
    9 years ago
    Oh, well then even more important that they coordinate as closely as possible!
  • nwduck
    9 years ago
    Quick, since you made that repair to the front porch concrete right there by the door, I think the concrete paint would cover the repair better than a stain. After thinking about this more, I'd paint it that neutral color you used on the pool deck. If you match to the shutters (or a darker gray) then new homeowners are kinda stuck with it....and who knows? They may paint the shutters a completely different color! If you use a stain on the driveway, a nice light brown tone would work.
  • Quick123
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thank you X3. All your ideas and sugg's were incorporated. Kathy, I used your front door, driveway masonry stain, red chairs in gazebo and red Adirondacks. See below pix, and please give me your feedback, criticism and or compliments. THANK YOU TO ALL OF YOU!
  • Quick123
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    like this staging of fireplace?
  • er612
    9 years ago
    Wow! The exterior looks great!
    Quick123 thanked er612
  • rcnj
    9 years ago
    The exterior looks very nice! The front landscaping, the pillars, the new door, the lamps, all look great. I might change my mind about concrete stain -- it looks very good. The fireplace, though, I wish you'd posed that photo months ago so we could help you with it. It is a bit dated. I think you should move the candles to the mantle and find something for those flat areas left and right of the firebox. Traditionally, kindling or stacked wood and fireplace tools would go there.
    Quick123 thanked rcnj
  • rosecottagehome
    9 years ago
    Hi Quick! The place looks absolutely great! All the finishes, colors, love those pillars, gazebo, red chairs, concrete stain, the landscaping and mulch..........curb appeal is going on here! Agree the fireplace looks a tad dated, but honestly with all the upgrades, don't think it would be a deal breaker. Candles up on the mantel, yes and a neat little stack of wood on one of those flat areas is all, IMO. Good luck with the listings and do let us know how it goes.
    Quick123 thanked rosecottagehome
  • PRO
    Kathryn Peltier Design
    9 years ago
    It looks great! Everything looks crisp and well-maintained (the accent color looks very similar to the Tennessee house). I seriously wouldn't worry about the fireplace - everyone knows what it's for ;-) The red chairs give it some nice oomph!
  • PRO
    Kathryn Peltier Design
    9 years ago
    Also meant to mention: I think the stone edging looks extremely nice and I like the door very much - that is a huge improvement, too (like the color - can't remember who recommended it)
  • nwduck
    9 years ago
    Looks great, Quick! The red chairs really pick up the color in the beautiful Japanese maple there by the door. Agree about the fireplace....usually people put candles in/by the fireplace box if the fireplace doesn't work, and I know you don't want to convey that. One nit picky thing is on the gazebo. The little vertical decorative pieces just below the roof are not complete, and you've got a couple "leaners". The concrete stain looks fantastic. Congrats!
    Quick123 thanked nwduck
  • libradesigneye
    9 years ago
    It is wonderful to reach the end of a project - all the neighbors are thanking you!!! now go make their property values rock!!
    Quick123 thanked libradesigneye
  • Quick123
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    rcnj: thanks for walking me through this project. Yes, I get it, the consensus is to move the candles... will do. too bad i didnt ask earlier
  • Quick123
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    rosecottage: Thanks for the compliments, ideas and responses...
  • Quick123
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Kathryn Peltier Design: YOU made this a reality!
  • Quick123
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    libradesigneye: your approval is much appreciated
  • Quick123
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    nwduck: thanks for being on this project with me from the get-go!
  • nwduck
    9 years ago
    Looks like "Waterside Americana" to me! Let us know how it goes.
  • PRO
    Cascio Associates - Site Planning - Landscape Arch
    8 years ago

A year late with advice, but here it is.
    Looking at the four photos you showed on May 23, select the one on the lower left. The front entrance walk should begin at the street and pass right through this bed on its way to the front porch. It is the perfect view of your home, and the one you should offer your guests.

Put the large evergreens or their twins back to itheir spot by the driveway, so that, when your guests are leaving, they will be looking at this handsome evergreen or a group, rather than the cars and pavement. This will also enhance the view from the living room windows for the same reason.

Quick123 thanked Cascio Associates - Site Planning - Landscape Arch
Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville