Software
Houzz Logo Print
kimbersoo

Dull dining room and odd window shape..advice please!

12 years ago
My dining room is dull. I thought some curtains would help, but they look too small for the space. Everything looks brown and the gold color is making the brown wood appear more yellow. I would really like a more inviting look. Everything I keep trying look old. I don't want Tuscan or formal. The rest of the house is camel, greenish gray and bluish gray with cream. I would like to have this space be neutral and to be a little more transitional and relaxed. Any ideas won't break the bank? I know china hutches are out, but I would like to keep mine if possible. So the curtains need to go? Bare windows? Valance? Help!!!

Comments (26)

  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Part of your dilemma is that you’ve partially treated the window, essentially cutting the room in half. Your eye should take in the whole wall at once, not stop to look at the bottom half and then the top. The treatments should be floor to ceiling. In addition the panels are not wide enough. On that size window each panel should be at approximately 90”wide pleating down to about 36” wide.

    Add a transitional patterned area rug to define the space and to add some color. Reupholster the chair seats to coordinate with the window treatment and rug. Purchase a great centerpiece and your done.
  • 12 years ago
    The drapes would need to be at least 144" long.. Which is why I hesitate. Short rods or a long one across. All a pattern or should it be solid or band? Big investment. I want to get them right.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Probalby a long 3" rod acorss the top. You could also two shorter rods with 4 finials.

    If you want your window treatment done right then contact a window treatment specialist in your area. They will know the right proportions, color, scale, and pattern to use to get the best results. You're right, it's a big investment, but a professional will save you money in the long run by slecting just the right fabric and design so you won't make a mistake on your when trying to do it on your own.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Must have the long drapes..and I would have the rod all the way across. Really need a rug and one with pattern and maybe a little color. Change out your seat covers to something that goes with the "new" rug..maybe a wide stripe. The light fixture is too high...looks to be about 2' too high. The china hutch is too short for the room, so add something tall onto the top. It could be a very large plate on a stand with something smaller with it..even a plant.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Hi, I can't see the wall opposite your china cabinet, but, if there is a wall you can feature in a fresh color, look at light blues like Benj. Moore "Woodlawn Blue" #HC-147. This shade has an undertone of Gray and will enliven your room. Then take down the drapes, have a workroom add another 1/2 width to the outside edge in a solid that matches the blue wall/s.
    You'll need to replace the rods with a longer pair to accommodate the widened drapes.
    Next I'd lower the chandelier to 30" above the table. To be honest, if I could I'd change it out for a new one. A natural iron chandelier with crystal drops would look good.
    Above the wall unit hang plates (solid blue or blue and white) or silver (old) trays in an arched grouping. Inside the china cabinet add some large chargers in (again) blue and then nest your dinner ware in front.
    The center of the table would have more oomph with an oval tray (silver). Place a few Blue and White containers in different heights on the tray.
    Blue and White Chinese style containers are a classic and you can add more to the room. A tall Vase on the floor in a corner works well with Bamboo shoots.
  • 12 years ago
    Wow - great ideas. Is it best to select a rug first or fabric? I know the chandelier is crazy high and my huge hutch does seem very small in the space. Do you think tall drapes will exaggerate even more?
  • 12 years ago
    Too timid - go for the drama and add some sparkle!
    Goryeb Residence · More Info

    Jane Lockhart Interior Design · More Info
  • 12 years ago
    FYI I love the blue/white pottery collection!

    If you want to keep the room neutral, then you must add more texture. How about a sisal or jute rug for under the table? Perhaps a linen table runner?

    [houzz=
    The Palmetto · More Info
    ]
    [houzz=
    treasures from Thailand · More Info
    ]
    [houzz=
    Tiburon home remodel · More Info
    ]
    [houzz=
    Powell Residence Dining Room · More Info
    ]
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Always choose the rug first it is always hardest to find one you like..from that choose your drapery fabric color, chair seat fabric..etc. Basically choose your palette from there.
  • 12 years ago
    Cool room. So tall! I agree with Maine Bldg: Stay away from giant hanging fabric curtains. They will make the room look like a haunted house. I'd get rid of all treatments except maybe white paneled shutters (made to resemble the wainscoting), or even plantation shutters, for the bottom part, and leave the top alone. Paint white or add trim to the small slice of wall that separates the upper and lower windows. You might want to "scale up" the window trim, and definitely enlarge the crown molding.
    The china cabinet is OK, but Federal Style furniture is, by it's nature, rather stuffy. It has a certain formality, but without the vibrancy of other formal styles. You could re-upholster the chairs, maybe in a bright color, stripe, or chinoiserie.
    The main thing it needs is some sparkle. Chandelier, mirrors, silver something.
    Painting a brighter color would help, or wallpaper. Definitely change the chandelier to something more period, or even modern. If you want to keep the room traditional, a blue a little more intense than Wedgwood would look nice. If you want to make it eclectic and modern, try a Moroccan orange or coral pink. I'd leave the floor alone, or paint it black and white like a checkerboard.
    Some great wallpapers: http://www.bradbury.com/index.html, but they are best used by pros.
  • 12 years ago
    Okay. I will take the curtains down tonight and see how the windows look bare. Then if I don't like that, I will try and hang them at the divider before I spend a bunch on custom curtains 144" long. Just to be sure. I will post tonight.
  • 12 years ago
    Does the room look better without drapes? Should I hang them above the lower window or do I need to have 144" curtains made???
  • 12 years ago
    Yes, I think it lookw better without the curtain. Focus on a new chandy and art for the walls, then styling the china. After that, if it still feels bare, go for the window treatments.
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    I want the same style as you, your room is beautiful. I personally like everything in the room and would add a rug and some art work. It doesn't look like it needs much. I like the drama the curtains give. Can you maybe lower the chandelier?
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Also, obviously, restyle the hutch. Maybe put your blue vases on the top of it so the colors make a statement. Sorry, I just read a PRO suggested the same things!
  • 12 years ago
    What color are your curtains? Where did you get them?
  • 12 years ago
    I like the simplicity of your room. No drapes. The chandelier is fine; just lower it--a lot. A platter to add height to the china cabinet and plain sisal rug are all you need.
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Groveraxle is amazing...
  • 12 years ago
    Beautiful window!!! The highlight of the room, I would put see through flimsy material in an arched rod to cover the top of the window only. I would accent the window wall with a bold color and pick up that color in your hutch decorative pieces. Beautiful window... Susan
  • 12 years ago
    Just my 2 cents worth here.....I have a country french style hutch, it has wire instead of glass, and I love it. But it is also a bit short for the space, so I added some blue and white ginger jars on and it looks great, I think. Plates, a plant....anything up there will help it look more proportional to the height of your ceiling. I think the window looks great without drapes.....but it might be the clean freak in me is talking now, the thought of cleaning those long drapes and having dust gather all around the bottom makes me a tad crazy. Lol
  • 12 years ago
    Ohhhh... How about connecting he two drapery hangings with a stenciled or actual metal design from the tops if both draperies?
  • 12 years ago
    I recommend using a 'Laura Ashley' French weave rug in duck egg blue, and painting the room in two shades of Duck egg blue, and definitely shorten your curtains, to the divider height..then your Blue & White china display will look great..what about some blue & white Chinese style lamps?
  • 12 years ago
    Beautiful rug will add a warmth and personality to you room. Then you may add long drapes. Douppioni silk is timeless and always stunning.
    www.domirugs.com, vintage and custom made rugs and kilims
  • 12 years ago
    I love your room without drapes. And I agree you need to lower the chandelier. I also like the suggestion of putting blue and white china in your china cabinet ....... or maybe just white. Have you thought of recovering the fabric on your dining chairs? Maybe something elegantly gray/blue? And I agree with a rug. One more fabric if your budget allows....put two fabric chairs at each end of your table. You have a lovely room with great bones.

    Fabric: https://www.fabric.com/buy/uj-208/premier-prints-ozborne-village-blue-natural
    Rug: Safavieh CAM121A-4 Cambridge Area Rug in Light Blue / Ivory
    Chair: https://www.jossandmain.com/Weekend-in-Provence-Bacall-Side-Chair~FV23771~E9641.html
  • 12 years ago
    Lik e it better without curtains.
    I agree with what someone said about going dramatic. The room is built for it.
    In fact, mine is fairly similar. High ceilings, gorgeous view, nice furniture but painted the same as the rest. Not dull but not great. Thanks!