Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cmfiereck

Do you think this coffee table is too big for this room?

Christina
10 years ago
Also, does the lighter wood color look ok with the dark chairs and tv stand? I don't want to add ANOTHER dark piece of furniture so I ordered the lighter coffee table. Please give me your thoughts or suggestions!! Thank you!

Comments (60)

• faith2believ
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    I would definitely do a glass coffee table to give the appearance of a larger space. I'm not clear on why the sofa is on an angle?? the room may look larger if was on a wall. Another suggestion is to go with a lighter color for storage (even if you painted what you have) under the TV that way everything on that wall isn't so heavy looking and black.
  • Ann
    10 years ago
    It's definitely not too big. I'm with abbyjean and would like to see a dark basket or something on it. The color might be fine then.
  • Christina
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Faith2believ. The couch is angled cuz hubby has to have couch "face" the TV and the TV has to go on the big wall. Plus I hate to cover up the window if I were to put couch there.
  • Christina
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Our room is long and narrow with the big vaulted wall on the south end, front door on the west side with a big window and the other end is east with a window. The stairs for upstairs comes directly down into the middle of the room and the walk way to kitchen and dining is on the easy side of stairs behind sofa now.
  • abbyjean
    10 years ago
    Lots of angles showing in the above pic. Love those chairs! If you were to put the ottoman with the other chair, could the couch be straightened? The coffee table should fit ok then still? Would love to see a nice big palm plant in the corner between the tv and the window where a basket is now? Maybe the cute little chair could go over on the other side, away from the chairs, too.
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    No, it's the perfect size. I would just repeat the light tones in other accessories in the room. A light planter pot with natural sticks in the corner on the left of the TV. I would add some beige/tan drapery. Add an art piece that uses all the colors with some brights for accents. Sofa pillows to add color. Decorative accessories on the table utilizing the color direction that you want.
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    What is the table between the brown chairs? if that were in the same tone as the coffee table, it would bring the color around the room. Can you purchase an end table like the coffee table to use with the brown chairs?
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    I would remove the child's chair from the right side of the TV. Do you really need that in the room for the children?

If you need it, I would use a light wood planter and natural sticks in the left corner of the room with the child's chair in front of it to be moved when watching TV.
  • PRO
    Michelle Scott for Ethan Allen - Laguna Niguel, CA
    10 years ago
    If you incorporate some lighter wood accents - lamps, bowls, candle bases, wtc - you can tie the color of your coffee table in with the rest of the room. Some examples... Also bringing in some color in pillows on the sofa - something that incorporates the dark from the other upholstery, but adding a bit more color - and some art on the walls will help the coffee table feel more a part of the room, rather than an add-in. Creating flow through repetition will make a huge difference!
  • abbyjean
    10 years ago
    Creating flow through repetition.......like that!!!
  • Stacey
    10 years ago
    Are you able to return this table? If so, I think a dark wicker table or chest would looks really nice. Amazon has a square one with four stools underneath for $500.00. The wicker would match the baskets you have in your cubbies. You have to be happy with your decision. Have fun! Your space is really cute.
  • Christina
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Abbyjean- I tried to straighten the couch more and it looks funny cuz it's not straight on with the TV and if I move the TV left more towards the wall it really makes the room smaller in this side. If I pull the couch out a lil farther from the window so it's perpendicular to the window it Cruz'ts into the walk way to the kitchen/dining too much.
  • Christina
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I WAS thinking of putting a palm or something in that corner. Just trying to get the furniture situated first! So maybe a new accent table in color of coffee table and maybe a lamp in that tone will help? I'm thinking if the kravet jellybean pattern for accent pillow for couch. I have always loved that pattern. Then should I do curtains instead of blinds or shades?
  • Christina
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Also planning on repainting using bm edgecomb gray. Have it in master bath and love it for a neutral kind if color.
  • abbyjean
    10 years ago
    Hubby would never want the chairs and couch to switch places, either, huh? Then that console on the wall could almost go behind the couch.
  • playaazul
    10 years ago
    Consider an cloth covered ottoman (great with kids), some drapes in coordinating colour and a few throws pillows and a few large pillows for the kids.
  • kovar
    10 years ago
    It looks like you have a lot of rectangle shape going on, what about having an oval coffee table to break it up. Dark would look nice and it would give it a cleaner look. What about putting a nice plant where your blankets are now. Are you planning on doing window treatments, if so maybe thats where you would use lighter coloring. I Good luck!
  • Christina
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Kovar- never thought of an oval table. That sounds more pleasing to ill kids running into the corners but all the tables I like which is the wood top look I guess I have not seen in oval shape. I want something nice and stylish but still able to put my feet up on and to put plates and cups on without scratching or at least NOTICE the scratches.
  • Christina
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I found a dark wicker like tray to put on them top of coffee table to break up the lighter color. Looks cute. Still need more on the table though maybe something a bit taller for balance. I will see about getting natural sticks or something for the corner by window and tv, a new lamp, and accent table. Looked online and couldn't find an affordable natural top accent table, have to keep looking. Planning to also do a gallery wall with black frames above the horizontal bookshelf to the right of tv. No natural color there... But it will fill up some of the bare wall space.
  • keado
    10 years ago
    I actually like the coffee table, but I also have small kids and I have found that a coffee table with drawers etc is very functional for us (games, toys). If it was me I would sell or find a new place for the cabinet under your tv - it's too dark in my opinion if you are trying to lighten the space. Then I'd find a taller and larger media cabinet on craigslist and refinish it in a bright bold color - red, green, blue, whatever!

Then you could work in accents from there - pillows, art, throw, storage baskets for books.

It's a great space with natural light and it looks like your sofa and chairs go with everything :)
  • kovar
    10 years ago
    Here are some photos ideas. I know they my not be your style.
  • happyleg
    10 years ago
    Your table in top pic is fine. You have enough dark items in room. It has contrast with rug & furniture.
  • kovar
    10 years ago
    Sorry, about the double photo. Here are two more.
  • mermaide
    10 years ago
    put a bright area rug under neath the table, a big one that extends into the room, and it will work.
  • Christina
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Honestly, how horrible is a fake palm or another type of tree/plant for the corner. I live in mn and even with all the light I get in there I do not have a good track record for keeping plants and fish alive. So when someone suggested the sticks or reeds, I could handle that!
  • abbyjean
    10 years ago
    Fake are not horrible if they do not look fake. BUT then they cost a lot of money, too. You can get large palms at a great price even at Menard's or WalMart or Lowe's. BUT you might be just as happy with the sticks, too. Done correctly, they are a nice accent piece.
  • Christina
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    So with the sticks how is the "right" way to do it? Grab a planter or taller vase and put a bunch if sticks in it? How many is too much or too few?
  • abbyjean
    10 years ago
    Good question! I would google it right on here to see what you find out. I think a vase to give an accent color is a great idea....maybe a patterned one even. Height is important and so is fullness.
  • Christina
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Found some "natural" color stuff to help tie in the coffee table. What do you think of the sticks, candle holders and the new lighter basket? Still wanting to get a new accent table for the chairs in the natural color too and then I think it will blend beautifully!
  • Christina
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Ok then what is an idea to put on the coffee table along with the flat basket already there? Something taller I assume on the other side but also something the kids can't knock down when dancing around the coffee table.
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    Books with binders that have color. Stack 3 on the coffee table. A dark brown wood bowl for snacks or for guests. One chunky natural color wood candle holder with candle in an accent color that you want to introduce in the room. Choose an artwork with your favorite colors. That will help in choosing colorful accessories and sofa pillows.
  • abbyjean
    10 years ago
    LB........any suggestions for the decor on the new accent table, too? Wonder how big the new basket is? Could we take a look at it? Maybe a few things LB suggested could go IN the basket if it is on the larger size, as I have it pictured, for some reason.

Love the visual......kids dancing around the table. Mom and Dad, too??
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    On the end table. An interesting paper print book box to hold note paper and pen.
  • Christina
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Oh seriously!!! My pic didn't upload?? I took this after buying a few things to test out.
  • Christina
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Abbyjean- YES!!! The kids have "dance parties" to the music at the end of movies during the credits. Most popular- wreck it Ralph!
  • abbyjean
    10 years ago
    The basket on the table is just like I had it pictured. Not sure about the candle sticks by the tv....they would bother me there as they almost seem like they interfere with viewing a show......or dancing to the movie credits! LOL Maybe try them on the table instead. LB did suggest one, so see what two look like.

I like the new basket by the tv, too, and that the little chair is gone from that space. The sticks in the corner.....hmmm...just seems like they need to have more presence there. That is a pretty big space to play with. I would also like them a different height than the tv.
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    The sticks need to be in a large floor vase. Move candle holders on the table too.
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    I like the tray on the table. Now you can add some color with other items.
  • Christina
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Yeah I haven't found a colorful vase yet for the sticks but once I do that should make them a lil higher than the TV. But yes abbyjean that is a big space to fill. I like how it blends with the coffee table but it would be nice to have some green "live" looking plant there too.
  • Christina
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    So no to the candle holders or at least there? I doubt I would have them in the coffee table as they would be too easy to knock down. Should I leave the space empty then where the holders are now or what else could I add?
  • PRO
    Laurel & Wolf
    10 years ago
    The base and size are totally spot on. However, I would go with one with a top that had a lighter wood tone or a stone top! Something like this would be great: http://www.wayfair.com/Home-Styles-Turn-to-Stone-Coffee-Table-5131-21-HO4117.html

or: http://www.westelm.com/products/box-frame-coffee-table-g557/?pkey=ccoffee-side-tables&cm_src=coffee-side-tables||NoFacet-_-NoFacet-_--_-

Wether you keep the existing coffee table or replace it you need to bring in some color to your space with fun throw pillows for the sofa. Go for simple patterns and cool tones.
    http://www.westelm.com/products/chain-crewel-pillow-cover-light-pool-t1072/?pkey=cpillows&cm_src=pillows||NoFacet-_-NoFacet-_--_-

Finally, you need a rug to help define the space. A hide is aways a good option or you could do a simple solid colored rug ( blue might be nice)!

Best- Leura
    www.laurelandwolf.com
  • abbyjean
    10 years ago
    I say no to the candles by the tv......leaving that space blank/empty is my choice.
  • Christina
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Laurel & wolf- I DO like those tables you suggested but price is a little out of my range. So would it look funny to have a rig over my carpet?? And also since my sofa and coffee table are at an angle with the rest of the furniture.
  • PRO
    Artworks
    10 years ago
    Maybe some art in the room also to pull it all together?
  • Christina
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Art and pillows are coming. As well as curtains or shades. Maybe I'm going about this in the wrong way by adding accessories first but I kinda know what I want for pillows and accent colors and stuff. Just tryin to see if the coffee table should be returned or not yet.
  • Christina
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    So my mom was over tonight and joked that my coffee table looked like a picnic table!! Does it???!!! I know these are the types of tables I've been drawn too and seem to be everywhere but now she has me paranoid!
  • happyleg
    10 years ago
    So what , maybe a little. I like it. It 's modern & comfortable. Put a puff stool under it. It is nice for the kids & can't get ruined as easy. It is ok, just laugh, love, live! Enjoy your space!
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    Everyone gets a response about things that remind them of something. If you like it go for it. There is nothing wrong with the choice you made. Just accent with similar taste and repeat color tones and it will have your own stamp of design for 'you'. Don't be afraid to be you and let your personality be seen. Cheers. Isn't that what most of us want anyway?
  • PRO
    Darla Scheuerman
    10 years ago
    I personally would have put a very large round ottoman in that area. But you chose it because it appeals to you and is suited for your family. Throw some matching colors (espresso) on it and call it good. Hit goodwill and purchase some books with dark covers. It's just a coffee table.
  • redsilver
    5 years ago

You have the option of altering the color of the wood of the table, if you choose too. Even if you just added a bit darker toned varnish to boards 2,4,6,8 and both ends....or just the 4 boards that create the edges. Nice table, should last thru 2 generations! But, bringing in some lighter toned items works, as would painting the legs edgecomb or just painting the top Edgecomb, even(tho who doesn't like the color of that pretty woodgrain!?) At least you can do some minor things and it will be perfect.

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County