Software
Houzz Logo Print
foreverfarm11

How do you keep your hardwood floors clean?

12 years ago
I am new to hardwood floors. I have dark reddish hardwood floors and a big st. Bernard and 3 cats and my floors seem to be dirty ALL THE TIME. Everyday I go home and run my Roomba, then I either clean the floors with bona, steam clean them or use wet swifters to get the dirt up. It is a lot of work and I am concerned that I am cleaning them to much. It doesn't help that my house is surrounded by dirt right now (new construction) so I am hopeful that I will have grass soon. How do you take care of your hardwood floors?

Comments (8)

  • 12 years ago
    I use a backpack vacuum 2-3 times a week to pick up dog hair, etc. I use Bruce's Hardwood and Laminate Cleaner in a spray mop on weekends and as needed. I stay away from water/steam because I've heard it's not good for the wood. Some folks swear by it, though.
    foreverfarm11 thanked ispoildogs
  • 12 years ago
    We just damp mop. Not too much water. Water is the enemy of wood, but some is needed so dust clings to the mop. If your hardwood receives even a little bit of Sun, this minor water evaporates very very fast
  • 12 years ago
    I have used" Bona" Hardwood floor cleaner for years ;)
  • 12 years ago
    Cancork Floor Inc thanks for the advice. I can not imagine trying to keep up with it and am hopeful that once we have more grass around the house it will be easier. I am actually ok with it a little more than my husband. every time he see's a footprint on the floor he thinks we need to clean it lol.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Buy him a mop (micro fibre) and some hardwood cleaning solution for Easter. If he wants it clean, he can do it himself...mine does.

    If not, then I guess his OCD just isn't strong enough to affect others.
  • PRO
    8 years ago

    The best way is a professional recommendation.I would like to say that one of the modest and coolest methods of keeping the hardwood floor spotless and making it last a long time is to-vacuum it regularly.Every dog holder with hardwood floors has pondered how to keep hardwood floors clean of dog hair,but the answer isn't always a simple one.A regular routine of pet grooming and floor cleaning can minimize hair problems.

  • 8 years ago

    I sweep with the Bona microfiber mop, and vacuum as the debris collects, then use the microfiber cleaning pad with either Bona hardwood floor cleaner or Murphy's orange wood cleaner. Currently I'm trying Seventh Gen and I like it. I have to do this at least twice/week, more in the spring and fall when windows are open and all the dust comes in from the lots still under construction. We are replacing the bedroom carpeting with wood to get rid of all the dust that just won't vacuum out. Sometimes I just sit on the floor and wipe with cleaner and a microfiber cleaning rag, especially good for corners.