combine

Design help please! 8x8 bathroom

combine
Hi there. We are a family of 6 with one bathroom. We are hoping to build an addition in a couple of months which will include a main floor bathroom. This bathroom will be well used as it's on the main floor and will be close to our new bedroom. We have decided not to put in a tub. Shower only. Double sinks. I will likely purchase an old dresser at auction to use as a vanity. Can I still make this small bathroom beautiful? Our home is an OLD fieldstone farmhouse. The wall beside the toilet in the drawing will be stone. The colours of the stone are mostly grey and cream with a hint of green....I'll take a picture to help. I M open to ideas! I don't do well visioning things in one dimension, so if there is anyone willing to show me a plan I can really see, wow, I'd be great flu, thank you.

• combine
    Here it is!
  • combine
    I need a shower curtain....taupe? Something neutral and calm as not to compete with the stone. Also would love ideas for lighting and a mirror. I will show some more pics
  • combine
    Another pic
  • combine
    I have to post these one at a time, sorry
  • combine
    Last one
    I wish you'd use glass instead of a shower curtain. If not, then A simple natural canvas one would work, preferably made extra long to go almost to the ceiling. It's all looking great!
  • combine
    Hi again. You had recommended glass and I went straight to shopping to take your advice. I had some time during shopping to think a little more and soon realized a couple of things. First, I have a well and hard water. Hard water is really difficult to clean off glass. It leaves a film and lots of hard water marks.....glass never looks clean. That is also the reason I chose chrome for faucets in kitchen and bath....a duller finish shows hard water marks terribly. Also, a few things came up during our Reno that took some of our bathroom budget. Our septic system was several thousand dollars more than we had anticipated for one. There went the tile shower! The shower we chose is really plain and really white. It is an eye sore next to the taupe colour in the stone which we were trying to feature. I was really set on having a half wall ( one of your suggestions) and a tile shower with glass doors and it would have looked much nicer, but budget said otherwise. The other thing that was a factor is that I'm married to a Farmer. This is the bathroom used when coming in from barn and it gets DIRTY. shower curtains can be changed frequently when they get a little tired looking.
  • combine
    I forgot to tell you that I did take your advice on the pocket door. Thank you for that. I don't think a regular door would have worked at all....except now I have no where to hang my towel. Thanks for your suggestion. Good idea. Feels less crowded
  • combine
    .....what do you mean by natural canvas? Do I go to an art supply place to buy material and have it made?
  • combine
    Any suggestions for mirror?
    I understand your concern about hard water. Natural canvas is available at fabric stores by the yard.. It's an off white color. You can use a framed mirror or wall to wall mirror with cut outs for the light fixture(s). A good sized verttical mirror with a light sconce on each side would work nicely. Hobby Lobby is a good mirror source if you have one near you.
    Here are two sconces that could work nicely. Even tho it looks like you are wired for only one fixture, it's usually easy for the electrician to change it to two.
  • combine
    Thank you for your replies. Still on the hunt for a canvas and these sconces are lovely.
    Natural canvas is similar to cotton duck fabric, plenty of which is available online. Here's a shower curtain that might work for you, or you could order fabric and make a longer one.
    combine thanked Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
  • combine
    How's this one?
    That one works nicely.
  • combine
    Yay! It's a keeper then, thank you. Now....onto accessories for vanity????
    I would keep them to a minimum. You'll need soap. I like Wiliam-Sonoma liquid soap and I keep it in its original bottle, along with W-S lotion. You could also use chrome dispensers. White towels always look pristine and perhaps a flower in a vase could be added. Kleenex can go in your makeup drawer, or in an attractive container.
  • combine
    Okay....I'll look up the soap online, thanks. I put the garbage can in a cupboard is it's not seen and can do the same with Kleenex. Would a silver tray be overkill? I shoukd probably keep it minimal right? How does a full mirror go on the wall when the crown moulding from cabinets interferes?
    You can certainly use a silver tray on the countertop. That would be lovely. Can I please see a photo of where the mirror will go?
  • combine
    Let me know if this is okay for you
    The mirror company should be able to cut an angle to fit close to the crown moulding, but I doubt they'll cut all the grooves without a big surcharge. So I suggest you paint those 2 corner areas the same white as the cabinet so that the small parts of the wall that show will not be obvious. Maybe they'll caulk those areas. Ask the mirror people what they have done before in similar situations. Alternately, could you remove the crown?
  • combine
    Crown is staying. Could I do a mirror that is a bit smaller rather than 6 feet by whatever that height is.....the mirror would be huge!
    Yes, you could use a framed mirror. You have one sink, and I don't know if you decided on one bar shaped light above the sink or two sconces flanking the sink. The wall to wall mirror would greatly increase the visual size of the room and that's what I would select, particularly if you're going with the horizontal light above the sink.
  • Lari Darryn TX (8a)
    I'd like to interject into this interesting conversation. The ideal fabric for a bathroom shower curtain is hemp. They can be found online, but you could also make (or have made) a custom curtain. I highly recommend purchasing samples before buying any fabric online! Here is a wholesaler with an extensive collection (Carolyn could probably get the fabric wholesale) http://www.envirotextile.com/hemp-fabrics/wholesale-hemp-fabric/ Combine, your home is so lovely, and Carolyn, your suggestions are so thorough , flexible, and true to the house's origin!
  • combine
    I haven't decided on lighting yet at all. We actually have not purchased one light for our entire addition! Just light bulbs hanging from all the ceilings for a while. I am thinking that I'll have time to shop for lighting on the new year.
    Thank you, Lari, for those lovely remarks...made my day, and it's early in the morning here in Austin!
  • combine
    Hi Carolyn. I went online to order the soap you suggested. You can even have your name or initials inscribed! When I completed my order, I discovered they don't ship to canada. I will find something as close as possible as they are perfect, thank you
    So sorry they don't ship to Canada, but glad to hear you're going to look for something similar.
  • combine
    Carolyn here's some tile I had brought home a couple of months ago for bathroom. Your thoughts please? I don't want it to look too busy with the counter and the stone wall. I like the stone wall to be the feature I think.
  • combine
    Another photo
  • combine
    Here's another tile I found.... Left over from kitchen. I want to pick tile soon so I can get a mirror!
  • Ramona
    don't do the small tile. It's too busy with the countertop and the other wall. I like the textured tile just above. Please make a link to what that product actually is.
  • interiordesignme
    hi, just giving my opinion :) i dont think you should take that subway tile- will get too busy for you, i like the pic u posted before with that solid beige colour, Looks very natural. besides, too much pattern in a room will make it look smaller
    I very much like the textured tile that Ramona likes above. I just realized that I'm also answering questions about your laundry room!
  • combine
    Yes Carolyn! Same tile, same countertop. My mudroom is on here somewhere too. This whole addition we built is great, but I deliberately made it a little blah so I could add some colour and interest but make it changeable. We plan to stay here for good, so the cabinetry etc will remain very long term. So you think the cream, plain subway ish tile is best? Does it look good? I could get more samples. Would I do 3 rows high? What's the height you would recommend?
    If you go too high with the tile the mirror will start rather high, so I'd stick with just one row. I like the idea of 3 rows but am afraid it would create too high a splash. Are the tiles 3 x 6? Is your countertop 36" high?
  • combine
    Yes the tiles are 3x6 and 3x12. Counter is 36" high. When I see where the water splashes on the wall when washing hands etc, one row of tile won't cover enough. Probably because the faucet is tall.
    Okay, that's a very practical approach to design. Let a splash of water dictate the splash height!
  • combine
    So that would mean either two high or 3 high. Is two a bad number?
    While I would prefer one or three, if two is the right number, so be it. You could instead use a matching granite splash. Maybe you could stack up two rows of tile and show us a photo.
  • combine
    Okay. I can't take the tiles off as they are cemented onto the display board (I will call store and request though). I think two high is the practical number. I really need a mirror ASAP. Frameless or framed? (Remember I am working with the crown moulding at top of cabinets). If I go framed, I need help with colour. Black? Wood tone as this one here? Dark Gray? Edgecomb Gray to match cabinets? That's the cabinet colour. How thick should frame be? I would like the mirror to be as large as possible. I have attached a close up of the countertops and another pic of bathroom. Also, I found a light that I LOVE LOVE LOVE. thoughts?
  • combine
    Oops. Here's the light.
  • combine
    This is the closest light I've found so far
    The light looks great but it may not give you enough light. You could add two recessed lights. I love the look of the round mirrors and suggest you find two in a dimension you like. Since frame could be gray or black or in between, see what you can find. I know West Elm has one, but so do other people. I don't have time to help you look right now.
  • combine
    Thank you. I know you're busy. I appreciate your advise very much and the time it takes to think about it. Is it okay to use to mirrors with only one sink??? THanks for your imput about the light. Ill look for mirrors and let you know what i come up with
    It's okay to use 2 mirrors with one sink if you can get used to it. Since what you do in front of a sink is usually the washing of hands or face and the brushing of teeth, a mirror is not truly necessary and if you want to see yourself brush your teeth, you'd have to move over a bit.

However, the real reason I suggested two is the picture of the light fixture made me forget that you had only one sink. How many light fixtures are you using? If you are using the one which I think you are, I think that two mirrors will look better.
  • combine
    Okay, Im hearing you. I can get two mirrors and see what I think. If I can't get my head around it then I can return them. I do my hair and makeup there too which is really why I need the mirror. Yes, I am only using one light fixture.
    Good plan, combine. Glad you're flexible. Let's see how it goes.