jerickas

Address plaque

J Childress
I am not sure I like the placement of the address plaque. Any thoughts as to where I can put it?

• Brandi Nash Hicks
    Larger numbers on the right front beside the steps
    J Childress thanked Brandi Nash Hicks

Finding home address numerals/plaque

you can hire an artist, or a sign painter perhaps. I actually made my own house numbers. I took a sheet of copper and added numbers in a vertical. Found a metal bird on a twig at hobby lobby and attached it with bendable metal. Turned out pretty nice. You could use wood or whatever material you like for the actual plaque though.

Remove Address Plaque from Stucco Home

Wondering if you found a solution? We have the same problem! I was going to try and break them and scrape the tile off.

What Type and Where to Place Address Plaque

I did a terrible cut and paste: Whatever you get definitely needs to stand out more than the existing numbering. No matter what, any house numbers should be visible at night by using lighting. I can't tell from your pic how far away the road is. Like the poster above said, a number on a mailbox or a marker along the road might be a good idea if your house is far off the street. Here's my cut and paste pics of on-the-house numbering: This plaque comes in many colors/lettering color and style. I found it on Amazon. Where I'm from, a lot of people have the number etched out of cement and it is installed within the bricks.

How do I remove address plaque?

Are the numbers removable or integrated into the background? The reason I ask is because it might be possible to mount a plaque over the existing one. I don't know, but it's worth checking out IMO. https://www.wayfair.com/outdoor/pdp/whitehall-products-rectangle-modern-personalized-1-line-wall-address-plaque-whp3303.html
  • J Childress
    Thank you!!
  • goodtaste
    I would say go with the right or the left pillars - it should be also visible to the people looking for the house number
  • Lana Shaffer
    Looks like something is missing. I would place some sort of lighting where the address plaque is currently, if at all possible, and place the address plaque just beneath it, or on the left column out front.
    Adrian J. Naquin Interior Design L.L.C.
    it's the flatness of the facade without a element that says front door IMO I would add a custom copper awning above the arch with a sloped detail that mimics the curved roof end and place light fixture to left of door - move numbers down to 8" above stair coping/ pillar - also add two plants on top of these pillars- alter existing porch light to a adjustable wall washer recessed can fixture that can show of the warmth of the wood door.
    Thos. Baker
    Are the numbers visible from the street? They look very small in the photo. The plaque itself is a good style for the home, but I agree that it's hung to high, as mentioned above. A vertical plaque would be another option. I also agree that adding two plants on top of the pillars would brighten up the entry. Plants that drape and flower would be especially attractive.

Christi, on behalf of Thos. Baker
  • annoulaxeni
    Vertical numbers are hard to read! You always need to remember the possibility of police or an ambulance needing to read the address.
  • prospera
    Make sure it is adequately lit at night. We have one that came with the build of the house and of a like material that looks like carved stone. We had them add the street name, as it changes every time it turns a corner. Looks great, but to our dismay, it is away from the front door, which has a huge light over the entrance. It is on the most prominent wall, which is great, save the fact that that wall has no lighting. We tried temporary solar light, but it is just not bright enough and gets moved around by critters. We plan to eventually do landscape lighting, but for the time being, it is rare if the address plaque can be seen in the dark.
  • Darlene Bruehl
    I think I'd put it on the short pillar on the left of the steps, still visible, but not disturbing the beautiful lines of the architecture.
  • chime1
    Wow, how much fun is this? Maybe try printing the photo, and move the numbers around until you find your spot? Love the idea of lighting the numbers, but really in the age of GPS, who can't find your house? Like the idea of a light fixture where the numbers are now, then placing the numbers into the face of the front steps. Might even be nice to stake the numbers into the landscaping?
  • Tom Kumpf
    Here's a vision for three placements (hover over photo to see all three).
  • hillcountrycapecod
    My first thought was one of the pillars, but with the above visual (by My Home Photographer), I definitely vote for the left pillar!
  • karenjones115
    I would like to share that it is way to small for the site, try a larger scale above the arch of the door. I think it is to small for the site. Good luck.
    Julia & Elizabeth
    I like the pillar or lower where it is now.
  • jh77
    I'd leave it or move it to the left pillar. Before doing so check with your local fire department/police. They need to be able to read the numbers on the house day or night in the event of an emergency. Some locales may even have laws/rules on placement of the numbers (how high, etc.) I think the plaque itself is a bit boring and traditional. I'd be inclined to get larger numbers and locate them diagonally to the left of the door. The staggering from the diagonal line will make them easier to read than straight up and down placement and depending on the font and material you pick could give your front entry some pizzaz.
    Cleveland Designs
    Easy, Large address numbers in a Darker color to the right or left of the Pillars or above the Door. They should be lit at night with outdoor low voltage spots. Additionally, I would build a 4' high mini wall near your Drive or Sidewalk if there is one, with the Address Numbers there as well and lit. In an emergency or visitors need to see you home address numbers with ease, Police and Fire person's will tell you this and stories about how difficult it is at night to find a house, often seconds count in an emergency. The house has light colored brick so use, dark numbers so they will stand out. Look at the mini walls used throughout Palm Springs Ca. on Homes.
    Robnett Properties, Inc.
    Left pillar.....
  • masterpowell
    If the plaque is large enough - it would look great about 2 feet OVER THE DOOR. I realize the custom is to have the numbers to the right or left, but I see a lot of empty space up there asking for something. A nice light shining on it would be cool too...
  • Jessica Kerry Mack
    Due to the wrecks in front of one of my family's homes, I've had to call emergency enough times to know how important it is to have house numbers that are CLEARLY visible from the road for the fire department, police, or ambulance to be able to find you as quickly as possible in an emergency. Having numbers at the road if you have a long driveway and the house is not visible from the road is important as well. They need to be visible both day and night since you never know when you might have an emergency.

From the photos shown, the numbers are not clearly visible. They need to be much larger. For my two cents, I'd place very large numbers above the entry. They make some now that are solar powered so the numbers are visible at night without running any extra electric to the location you hang the numbers.
  • okibujp
    I like the light above the plaque idea and then i would just add a couple of planters!
  • klmt
    I like the urns on the posts, but looking back at your original pic, the first thing I'd do is get rid of the C banner, or whatever it is - it's very distracting and interrupts the pattern of the fencing. If you want to use it out front, consider placing it beneath the small tree standard in front of the bay or another location where it's not interfering with the fence, which is a major design element. The address plaque is definitely too high right now. lower it to be visually even with the wreath on the door. Alternatively, and I think probably better, mount it on the RIGHT column beside the steps, because on the left it's already visually busy due to the fence pattern. The numbers will also be more visible there simply by virtue of being closer to the street. For lighting, landscape lighting should be much less expensive than trying to mount new electrical boxes in brick walls, I would think. If you like the urns AND want to keep the plaque where it is but lower, simply choose urns that aren't quite as tall as the ones pictured above. I would plant something in them that spills over, rather than is strictly upright.
    Cole Lumber Co.
    You need a lantern light fixture hung on a bracket above the arched opening. http://www.gaslanternsandlights.com/Mustache-Brackets-for-Gas-Lanterns.aspx There are electric versions of these as well. You already have power to the light that is on the ceiling of the porch now, so you could tap into that source for the new fixture.
    Move the address plaque down onto the right pedestal and hang it about 4" below the top cap. I like the urns with plantings too!
    EMW Architecture
    Beautiful house! Where ever you put the address plaque - lots of great suggestions have been made- it must be lit, so new guests arriving at night can see the house number. A decorative light above the arch is a great idea! If you put the house number plaque on the pillars, install those little clam shell lights to light it up. Love the flower urns idea too.
  • fnstf
    I like the idea of larger numbers over the arch of the door - echoing that shape. Two lower urns on the pillars. Lighting at the doorway or reflective numbers. Personally, dislike the plaque. It's not functional, imho
  • bungalowmo
    Wherever you place it, paint that plaque in contrasting colors. It's of no use when it cannot be read, even if the plaque itself can be seen.
  • Cheryl Weatherly
    I wold put the letters under the steps in a cream color!
  • jmpjmp
    I would place the plaque about a foot lower or on the short pillar on the left. An oval would work better here I think. For legibility it needs to be horizontal, not vertical, as others have posted, and contrast enough to the background to be seen easily. Colors should pick up colors elsewhere in the design. The "C" sign next to it is hideous and should be repositioned or removed if possible, at least hung straight. I do not like tall planters on the pillars at all, but smaller pots with trailing something would be very nice (if you leave the plaque higher). The entry way is very dark and forbidding. Better lighting would help. The fixture is too stark and too small and too dim. Try a halogen or LED of 3000-3500 K and the next stronger "wattage." The front yard needs work and those two trees have no where near enough room for future growth. Painting the front door an off-white to match some of the trim seen elsewhere would do wonders as well. Also make the dormer harmonize more. Wonderful house. Good luck with it.
  • sdwilk
    My thought is do not interrupt the smooth brick arch and roof line over your lovely front door with a plaque. One suggestion is to buy individual numbers (as opposed to a plaque) and put them on the riser of one of the front steps.
  • cremeduhlacreme
    Centered, right above the doorway. Also, a black on white or more visual coloration would be appealing. Cheers.
  • gaillegato
    I agree, centered, right above the doorway. I like the plaque you have.
  • druesig
    An oval plaque would echo the arch and by all means make the numbers BIGGER...not all of us have GPS! Thanks. :)
  • macdp59
    Looking at the shape of your address plaque in the shape of your door; centered above door. But I also think the shape of the address plaque is bothersome for the style of your house. I would have chosen individual numbers.
  • spisland
    I agree with klmt, first thing I'd do is remove that "C" flag immediately from that location.
    klmt also mentioned using plants that spill over and down urns placed on both pillars.
    I'd then step back and view again, and take another photo for context.
    This may be all that's really needed.
  • chloebud
    jerickas, you have lots of great help here! I like the plaque where it is but agree it should be lower. I also agree some planters on the pillars with something pretty flowing/trailing over them would be nice. I like those urns okibujp posted, but you'd need some a bit shorter if you lower the address plaque. Lovely home!

BTW, I have ivy geranium in several locations outside our home, including some urns in front. I like the "Blizzard" variety. We live in Southern California and they provide color all year long.
    VizX Design Studios, LLC
    What ever you do, make it bigger and put a light on it for night time.
  • Cindy Rowzee
    You could add lighting to the post out front to light the walk way. Add a matching light above the address plaque.
    Robnett Properties, Inc.
    I like that Idea!
  • amandagettes

What do you put on the sign itself? My address is xxxx West Berteau Avenue - how much of that do I put on the plaque? Thanks!

• J Childress
    Thanks for all of the help! I ended up going with single numbers. I like this look a lot more!