Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joezog

Help me design a home bar!

joezog
9 years ago
Hi,

I have a huge dilemma: I can't seem to find the perfect place to install a home bar (+back bar) without losing too much seating space while still enjoying the nice beach view I have.

I have enough space for a living room and dining room, that's the easy part. Incorporating the bar is giving me headaches :(

Comments (25)

• Nicole
    9 years ago
    What furniture items do you have and how many? (i.e. 2 chairs and loveseat) By home bar you mean drink bar?
  • PRO
    Bella Grace Signature Kitchens & Baths
    9 years ago
    If you do not have the images drafted in this computerized drawing, take a photo of the existing and we will be glad to help you.
    joezog thanked Bella Grace Signature Kitchens & Baths
  • joezog
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Hi all,

The house is under construction and i still didn't buy anything as i am waiting to see what can i buy depending on available space.

By home bar yes i mean a back bar to display bottles and a bar to sit and enjoy drinks/food.
  • PRO
    The Brahmas Architects Studio
    9 years ago
    Joe zog... Attached a simple design for bar
  • PRO
    Vertical Farming + Technology 4 your home
    9 years ago
    Hi, I think the wall to the housing can be removed.
    The smooth transition from the kitchen to the living room can make everything more generous. Let the counter with rounded soft
    Impact. Sorry for my english Translate. Best wish from Germany
  • PRO
    Should You Sell Or Should You Stay
    9 years ago
    You want living room, dining room and bar in this space?
    What are the dimensions?
    Red = opening door ways?
    Blue = solid walls?
    Black with grey = windows? how far from the floor?
    Green = floor to ceiling windows?
    I am guessing, pls tell me if the above is correct.
    Can you send dimensions of the room.
    Looks like 15' x 20' plus the green part.
  • joezog
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    @Wolfgang, I cannot remove the walls because the wife wants a separate kitchen so the smell of cooking doesn't go in the living room.

@Should you sell: red is opening for doors and windows, blue is solid walls and green is a balcony with windows from floor to ceiling (hence the view).

The dimensions are: 24' x 18'
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    Thanks! Is the black and grey window - if so how high from the floor?
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    I see the doors on the right going to a garden or a balcony, but the part in green in the bottom right hand corner that juts out - is it balcony also or is it indoor space with windows from floor to ceiling.
    As I understand it you want storage for bottles behind the bar and the bar will have stools to sit on. Who should enjoy the view, the bartender or his patrons?
    What else must go in this bar like fridge, glasses, wine bottle storage and how many different spirits.
    What the colour scheme in the room.
  • joezog
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Hi, I see no black and grey :( the oly window is on the right side, a horizontal red line that overlooks a flower pot (green dots). The other green lines represent a balcony that will be fitted with glass for the view.

I would like the patrons to enjoy the view more, since I will be living there, just can't find the proper area without losing seating space or walking space.
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    Does the bar need a sink and/or a tv
    Do you want a tv in the living room
  • joezog
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    No sink, and a TV would be nice but not necessary :)
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    I will get back to you tomorrow - mother's day today :)
    joezog thanked Should You Sell Or Should You Stay
  • PRO
  • joezog
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    The design you sent looks amazing, thank u so much.
    Actually, what you said is entirely true, never thought about it this way. When i am on tv i indeed dont need a view.

The other pictures are ideas of what i can use, correct?
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    I like the images from should you sell or should you stay, I want to add your question about location. Hope this helps
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    My suggestions.
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    Yes the other images are there to give you the contrast - ie what speaks to you or not. I have no idea if you want a tiki bar or a serious English pub.
    Search google images; if you don't find what you are looking for, change the words in the search bar.
    Now what is the amazing view; mountains, cityscape or ocean - I like them all.
    Good luck, designing and creating is so exiting.
  • PRO
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    Consider the beautiful french doors? near the space, look at the opening here and see if this is a concept you can incorporate; without knowing your exact dimensions, this is only a suggestion. Hope it helps!!
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    Bella Grace, that's a fine sample of a small bar - Joezog are your headaches gone yet?
  • PRO
    GN Builders L.L.C
    9 years ago
    If you can put a bar on adjoining kitchen wall, that would be the ideal, and hopefully you can bring the water line into that wall, unless there is one already there, to make a wet bar.

Here is a little sketch
  • joezog
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Hi all,

Thank you so much again for all the help.

@Bella: the design is very nice, I am looking at something more modern (not a wet bar thought)

@GN builders: this was my first guess of putting a bar which I thought would be ideal. The problem is that it takes the place of the living room and makes the dining room below much smaller, that's why I wanted to change it.

@should you sell: I have an ocean view from one angle + mountain view from another angle. I know it's a bit weird but as soon as I can I will post a picture :)
    And yes, the headache is gone, I am convinced it's the best placement I could get.

All I need now is to find the appropriate design of the bar/living and dining room.
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    Thank you for you comment joezog, of course you can incorporate your modern design theme to this concept, this was an example of a bar theme near your french doors or an opening likewise. That is the most wonderful thing about customizing your own bar, you can incorporate on not incorporate any of the suggestions.I am certain with all of the pros in your corner, it will be magnificent!
    joezog thanked Bella Grace Signature Kitchens & Baths