Software
Houzz Logo Print
vjs12

What tables will go?

12 years ago
I'd like to find two end tables and a coffee table to replace these glossy, cherry wood tables in my formal living room. I like the round, lighter wood table that is in between the club chairs. The armoire and curio cabinet are cherry wood also and I like those. Would a cast iron antique brass table with a glass top work for the coffee table? Here are pictures of the space.

Comments (23)

  • 12 years ago
    This chart should help with selecting tables and perhaps new lamps for a real update.
    vjs12 thanked decoenthusiaste
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    I would never give up these beautiful and elegant end tables. I wish I could have them.
    vjs12 thanked Tania Alegria
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    deco, can you please suggest some lamps and tables? The solid brass lamp I'd like to keep because it is Stiffel. The couch arms are 24" high and the current end tables are 22". In the stores I mostly see furniture that is very modern. I'm going to be looking at consignments shops and on craigslist for the tables. Thank you Tania for your nice comment. (Portugal is too far for me to send them to you). I have had them for 22 years and want a change.
  • 12 years ago
    Anymore suggestions?
  • 12 years ago
    Have you considered letting the striped one in the center go?
  • 12 years ago
    Nearly clueless, I don't understand what you mean? The stripe couch perhaps?
  • 12 years ago
    Instead of changing out the tables, I'd suggest a light-coloured area rug so the existing tables won't blend into the floor. The rug would brighten the space.
    Edina Home Office · More Info

    Grosse Pointe Living Room · More Info
  • 12 years ago
    Hatetoshop, thank you for your suggestion. The floors are only a year old so I don't want to cover up most of the wood with an area rug just yet. Would a small light color rug, just under the coffee table, work or look to small? My DR furniture is lighter than the LR so the floor is a better contrast in there. I thought getting lighter tables would help. I didn't think of a rug. The room is 15x13'. How about a 4x6' rug just under the coffee table?
  • 12 years ago
    can you move the sofa off the wall ?
  • 12 years ago
    No, don't get the small rug. Believe it or not, your hardwood floors will be highlighted by a light-coloured rug (of appropriate size). So, in effect, you will not be hiding the beautiful hardwood, you will be drawing people's attention to it by the contrast. Buy a rug (that is returnable), and check it out on your floors. Best of luck!
    vjs12 thanked hatetoshop
  • 12 years ago
    mary, the sofa is about 4" away from the wall. The room isn't very wide.
  • PRO
    vjs12 thanked Warner Decor
  • 12 years ago
    I agree wholeheartedly that an area rug will give the room a big lift and enhance your beautiful wood floors. Keep it simple--perhaps a solid-color rug with some elegant lines to it. Make it lighter, but in the same jewel-like colors you are already using. If you want to change your lamp tables (and I think you should), don't be afraid to buy different kinds of tables for either side of the couch. They don't have to match. Maybe a glass-topped table for one end and and a painted table for the other side. It will also be easier to find them at consignment shops. My only other suggestion is that you perhaps consider changing the lacy lampshade, which looks out of place in that room (move the lampshade and/or the lamp to your bedroom and choose another lamp with a simpler shade).
    vjs12 thanked gregorybnyc
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Those are very beautiful tables i must say :)
    If you need a change then also change the lamps and the pillows on your sofa .
    Leilani Round Accent Table · More Info

    European Vallencierre Area Rug, Rectangle, Burgundy, 8'3"x11'3" · More Info
    vjs12 thanked Geneviève
  • 12 years ago
    I have 2 of these Haggar Pottery lamps from the 80's. How does this look? I know the lamp shade isn't right. I'll be getting the proper size lamp shade for it.
  • 12 years ago
    those are pretty I am sure the correct lamp shade will be nice
    vjs12 thanked marywashington
  • 12 years ago
    I come back with a photo on arrangement in similar end tables. Best regards.
    vjs12 thanked Tania Alegria
  • 12 years ago
    It seems I can't submit a photo. Sorry.
    vjs12 thanked Tania Alegria
  • 12 years ago
    Ok, I got it. Here you have nice shadows for lamps similar to yours.
    vjs12 thanked Tania Alegria
  • 12 years ago
    I purchased 2 new lamp shades and 2 smaller harps to go on my existing lamps. Also put the beaded lamp back into the guest bedroom and put the Stiffel lamp on the round table. Does it look better?
  • 12 years ago
    I decided to keep the 2 end tables. I'll look for a glass top/brass coffee table and a rug as Houzzers suggested. Thanks!
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    I think keeping the end tables is fine. They are nice. Have you just tried removing the coffee table all together? It's not for everyone, but I find sometimes it works for a narrow space. If you do replace the coffee table I would go with something a little larger, the current one looks too small to me. I would also replace the teal pillows on the couch with either navy to pick up the chairs or cream to pick up your new lamps. HTH
    vjs12 thanked hambirg