Software
Houzz Logo Print
mikimotomo

New build wooden flooring type/colour advice needed

12 years ago
Hello

This is my first post here so I hope I'm doing this correctly.

Me and my boyfriend are due to move into our new build in September. My dilemma is deciding what colour wooden floor to have on the ground floor. It will cover the hallway which leads to the open plan dining and lounge area (quite vast).

I've attached a picture of the showroom flooring, a screenshot if the sofa we have bought (2), finally I've attached a screenshot if the look I'm after but i don't want the dark flooring, so my question is, can you help suggest a good colour wooden flooring? I was thinking French Oak?

Thank you in advance.

Comments (9)

  • PRO
    12 years ago
    A very modern look can be had with just about any wood colour. The "yellow" that is showing through in the show room is not quite in fashion right now...but that doesn't mean it won't work. A floor with a hint of gray in it (same "light" look without all the gold) is a great option. You will need to work with a strong patterned rug/art to "anchor" the room but I personally like the look of light furniture on light gray wood flooring. It is very European. Tres Chic.
    Wendy F thanked Cancork Floor Inc.
  • 12 years ago
    Thank you for taking the time to respond. I am not keen on the yellow look neither and have toyed with the grey tones in wood. I would love to have light flooring but as it will cover the floor from front door to main living area I'm not sure it would look right.

    I will be getting a dog later in the year too so that's a good point made!
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    The "French/Euro Cut" Oak offers a wide range of option from VERY White to Black... and everything in between. We've been doing a lot of the "washes" which are a reduced version of whites or grays... They offer a nice neutral palette, and will co-exist with just about anything.
    Wendy F thanked Select Hardwood Floor Co.
  • 12 years ago
    If you are looking at flooring on line, request samples, they look very different in hand compared to on line. I request about 20 samples, they all looked different from what showed on my screen.
    Wendy F thanked Bridget
  • 12 years ago
    Whatever you do, DON'T buy hardwood or engineered hardwood from big box stores like Lumber Liquidators, Home Depot and Lowes as their wood isn't dried enough so the boards cup shortly after being installed. If you have an extra few minutes, checked pissedconsumer.com and search Lumber Liquidators for flooring horror stories.
    Wendy F thanked hayleydaniels
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Looks like you're in the UK. We've been looking at flooring from Havwoods and Flooring Supplies, both have a good range of quality products.
    Wendy F thanked MexArt
  • 4 years ago

    True solid European French oak can be hard to source. We ended up getting a pre-finished solid white oak flooring in random widths(3,4,5) and I love it!

    If you live in a humid climate and want a wide board (anything above 5" widths) go with an engineered wood product otherwise you will have warping with a solid wood product.

    European French oak is becoming more popular so there are more prefinished and engineered options.

    Don't buy anything online without viewing a box of it first and laying it out in your home so you can see how your lighting compliments it. Our local flooring store actual contacted a previous client and they let me come see their floor. That way I knew exactly what I would get with my thousands of dollars!

  • 4 years ago

    Here is our white oak with barley prefinish, picture taken in the evening so its a bit lighter in the day.