Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nhollingsworth

Anyone tried under-floor insulation?

A few friends have suggested this for my house - (weatherboards with timber floorboards so pretty cold at night in winter)- but they have not actually had it, they have just heard of it.

Has anyone had experiences with it?

Also., the polystyrene sort pictured seems very unevironmental. Eager to hear of more eco-friendly options..

Comments (13)

• Curt D'Onofrio
    9 years ago
    Looks that guy is in a crawl space. I don't know anything about polystyrene but it looks like styrofoam. In a crawl space i trust that more than fiberglass. Whatever you do do NOT install fiberglass in a crawlspace or anywhere where a potentially high humidity will occur. Prev owners of our house tried that and the fiberglass deteriorated beyond (almost) recogination
  • User
    9 years ago
    Polystyrene is a good insulation material, but flammable. I never have saw it used in floors but here is used to insulate external bricks walls, inner walls and ceilings, it's very durable and can block humidity. And is cheap, at least here.

"The thermal resistance or R-value of polystyrene foam board depends on its density, and ranges from R-3.8 to R-5.0 per inch." It's higher that mineral wool for example
    http://energy.gov/energysaver/articles/insulation-materials

I don't think is more environmentally unfriendly than other insulation materials, most insulation materials contaminate a lot.
  • J Petempich
    9 years ago
    If you are insulating a crawl space in the north be very careful how it may affect your water lines in the winter. You don't want them to freeze. Talk to experts before doing this.
  • gouches
    9 years ago
    In one of the comments about installing fiberglass insulation in a crawl space. I have a story & 1/2 older home. I have a space on both sides of my house but I call it under the eaves, is this the same as your talking about because I laid fiberglass insulation there. It can breath as it is vented I take it from the eaves. Would this be OK, I have a floor out there also?
  • PRO
    GN Builders L.L.C
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    Sophie gave a good advise, you should insulate your crawl space walls also and make sure your crawl space has proper ventilation to prevent entrapment of moisture and mold issues.
    As the floor joist insulation goes, use R-30 insulation with with a vapor retarder and make sure that the vapor retarder facing up towards heated area of the home. Place insulation between the floor joists, and secure in place using insulation supports made specially for overhead installation, some use wire which is sold in most Box stores already pre-cut, etc.
  • Annette Nazeri
    9 years ago
    Ask a trained professional since you might also make bedding for Critters to stay warm like Field mice and other
  • Annette Nazeri
    9 years ago
    Also ask you Local Building Inspectors for a feasible solution because your insurance might not pay for what you add.....go to local Building Place Like Home Depot and get some Ideas and samples bring to a place where you can safety testing on all Bring a Fire Extinguisher
  • taupo13
    9 years ago
    We installed (or at least tried to install!) this type of underfloor insulation . What you have to keep in mind is that they make it look very easy in the ads (here in New Zealand) but that it is only easy if the joists are spaced exactly the same size apart as the width of the polystyrene sheets. They are an absolute nightmare to try to cut to size - and we are very experienced renovators. It was an older type home with different spaced joists so we gave up after we had just the floor under the living room done. Over here you can get underfloor fibreglass insulation with foil on both sides and an overlap that you staple to the joists - definitely our choice next time!
  • PRO
    J Design Group - Interior Designers Miami - Modern
    9 years ago
    For this intent and purposes the best is to consult the appropriate professional. Its the best way to go.

J Design Group, Miami Interior Designers - Williams Island - South Beach - Sunny Isles - Coral Gables - South Miami - Miami - Pinecrest - Modern Interior Design Firm in Miami, Florida - Ocean Front Contemporary Decorators - http://www.JDesignGroup.com
  • martman300
    9 years ago
    My wife bought a house about a year and 1/2 ago. The builder sprayed an insulation, under the house. This is the type like I have seen in commercial metal buildings.

The stuff stays on the wood, so get the picture, that it's basically molded to the floor joists of the entire house.

This definitely made a difference. Even though we don't have snow here, I lived in a raised house for many years and the floor was always cold in the winter.

This house wasn't, I plan to do that in the house we are about to build.
  • Tommi
    9 years ago
    I'd go for cellulose insulation. It can be blown in place, and it handles moisture well, etc. Be careful with vapor barriers/retarders.. There is likely one already below floor material and adding another one into the crawl space insulation will for sure cause problems.
  • Zoe Kendrick
    8 years ago

I had no idea there were so many insulation methods! It looks like everyone has their own method. I also don't blame you for wanting a more eco-friendly option. A lot of insulation methods have proven to have some pretty bad effects. My husband and I are looking to insulate our home again at some point in the near future. Hopefully we can find a good method that works for us! I hope everything worked out for you, Neryl! http://www.warmhome.ca