Software
Houzz Logo Print
michelle_sobel

Marble Alternative? Maxx Tile Porcelain Slab advice

12 years ago
I love marble - who doesn't - but am having serious misgivings about installing it in my kitchen. Has anyone considered Maxx Tile porcelain slabs as an alternative to marble for kitchen counters? I'm wondering how it compares in terms of look and feel (either honed or polished) to marble.

Comments (12)

  • 12 years ago
    I am in the process of making the same decision. Did you come to a conclusion?
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    There are other natural stones that you can use that require much less maintenance than marble. A lot of our clients go with Classic White Quartzite or a quartz that mimics marble.

    Here is the Classic White Quartzite:

    Here is another sample:
    Michelle Sobel thanked User
  • 12 years ago
    Yes, we decided to go with Caesarstone on the counters and are adding marble to our backsplash.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Caesarstone is a great choice! A lot of our clients love it and it is low maintenance. Best of Luck!
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Thank you. Did you decide not to go with Maxx tile for any specific reason? I love the look but am not as sure about fabrication/ installation and maintenance?
  • 11 years ago
    I've looked at all the leading lines of quartz ... we have Cambria in our kitchen ... as well as Neolith and Deckton. I love the look of the MAXXtile Onice Perla. Saw it installed at the local Capco and it is just beautiful. And from what I've read, the slab porcelains are just about indestructible ... even to heat, which is an issue with quartz. The one issue I've heard is that the porcelain ... being thin ... needs to be transported and installed carefully by an experienced thin porcelain slab fabricator. (We're going with this in our bathroom.)
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    This is an old dilemma but I can't resist throwing my two cents in anyway. Yes, there are countertop materials that "mimic" the look of marble. I have viewed the different alternatives and the look alikes are tacky by comparison. Nothing like the real thing!!

  • 11 years ago

    Update: We had the MAXXtile Onice Perla installed in our bathroom ... countertop and shower bench. It is the only manufactured stone I have seen that is indistinguishable from genuine stone. It is beautiful and impervious to staining. That said, I don't know how I'd feel about installing in a kitchen where you could drop a pot on it. And it needs to be installed by someone with extensive experience. Our fabricator had to re-do the shower bench because the edge seams weren't invisible as they should be. If you're in the extended Denver metro area, I highly recommend Goodman Tile and Stone.


    Michelle Sobel thanked anconnell
  • 11 years ago

    I am in Denver : ) but went with honed granite for the kitchen for the reason you mentioned above. Thanks for your thoughts!

  • 11 years ago

    @michelle sobel ...how do you like the marble? Is it performing as you had hoped?

  • 11 years ago

    @bonnie - I didn't go with the marble.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths