Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mayberryh

What color should I be?

Mary Ann
9 years ago
I found this free Armoire and I am considering painting it a nice rich color with maybe chalk paint. I have to paint my walls as well in the room. BUT hands of the eighties flooring. That isn't changing... I just have to pretend the eighties are making a comeback for now!

Comments (114)

• Mary Ann
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Painted Table... I don't get the time to paint these days as often as I would like. It takes much concentration...and I have a little toddler to chase around these days! lol Soon I hope.
  • Mary Ann
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Here is my fan site...not to much work posted but... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Mary-Ann-Hassick-Fine-Art/206869862706303?ref=hl
  • everdebz
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    My links have other colors, but you might've looked. I love the way sunlight shines through sheers and semi-sheers, and it cuts glare. What if you chose white shades with a pale yellow sheer, and Not polyester but nicer?............
  • Mary Ann
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    The floors are very eighties. They are light taupish gray with very small speckles...and there are border tiles that are a darker muddy grayish taupe. I want to warm it up a bit, the tiles are nice in summer but in the winter and other months in New England it is cold...on the feet and eyes.
  • magada
    9 years ago
    A heads up (for those not already in the know) for tight budgets and thrifties who yearn to get going chalk painting but shy at the price of THAT brand name chalk paint, you can easily make your own and just as good too, once you get your proportions and technique right.
    Chalk painting is an old old method, and also the web abounds these days with different recipes to reproduce it CHEAPLY !
    Any can of water soluble house paint, a few tubes of different water soluble coloring and you can produce exactly the tint that you desire. I've tried grouting, plaster of paris and calcium carbonate powder as chalking agent and i've found the carbonate gives best results as it's the finest ground and doesn't thicken up, and is a denser white.
    A gentle rub over with fine sand paper when dry may be needed and can also give that patina'd look if thats what you're going for.
    Then a soft transparent wax, or even natural if you're looking to dirty down the color a little.
    For heavy duty surfaces you're probably better off with a polycrylic finish.
    Mary Ann thanked magada
  • everdebz
    9 years ago
    Mary Ann, I forgot to respond about exterior. Yes I know what you mean, and I was just asking for info.
  • Mary Ann
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Okay... now. I need to finalize my wall color. Griffin was recommended and Tony taupe, from Natalie. Any other suggestions. I want to make the room a bit more cozy, dramatic, New England modern, country ...artsy.
  • everdebz
    9 years ago
    Does wood go toward any particular color [like gold]? pale yellow WAlls or quality semisheers could refer back -- a country color with a modern pattern in it yes to transitional!!

To pump it up I think of color to befriend your turquoise - a low-contrast soft Swedish use of pale creamy yellow not grandma sheers....

SWilliams online --their 'conch shell' was paired with 'mulberry' which seems a bit like your photos, and with 'silver' like the tile ?
    does a light neutral like 'decor white' go with grey? your unit? what color furniture?
  • everdebz
    9 years ago
    artsy would use a mix - if you have a distinctive rug or sofa or ..... that would do it on that part of room, you think? what would you like to mix in? maybe I missed something.
  • MarleneM
    9 years ago
    Mary Ann, I was away today so couldn't respond. Just to give you another look, I like this look. Seems very artsy to me, and I like bright colourful rooms.

Idea Cottage in the Hamptons · More Info
  • Mary Ann
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks Marlene... To bright for my taste though... I sort of liked the other suggestions of a dark taupe wall...then I can add bright accents.
  • MarleneM
    9 years ago
    Good choice Mary Ann, the taupe walls will give the room a cozy feel.
  • Natalie
    9 years ago
    Mary Ann---did you pick up the paint charts yet? If so, thoughts?
  • Mary Ann
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Yes! I did pick up the paint charts. I like what you have suggested so far. I am thinking that I should try some samples up on the wall. I am also looking at other colors on that paint sample like mega greige and maybe backdrop or warm stone?? They are all similar but up on a wall could look very different. I may also need to get some samples to paint up on the wall next week to see.
  • Mary Ann
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Do you like either of these colors? Or do you think I need to go darker???
  • Natalie
    9 years ago
    Hi Mary Ann---the colors are nice, but not deep enough. There should be a little more contrast to the floor tiles---probably a shade or two darker... That armoire turned out Gorgeous!!! Keep us posted.
  • Mary Ann
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Okay.. I am going to get some more samples tomorrow to paint up on the wall. I think I know what you mean... Not as dark as the small brown sample though right?
  • Natalie
    9 years ago
    I do like that small sample too-didn't see it there. :) Your room is all windows on one side, so light hits that wall---it could handle a deep color. Did you try Griffin or Tony Taupe yet?
  • PRO
    Interior Affairs -- Vickie Daeley
    9 years ago
    I like the turquoise color..
    Mary Ann thanked Interior Affairs -- Vickie Daeley
  • Mary Ann
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    The one on top is Tony Taupe...
  • pam h
    9 years ago
    I like the one on top
  • Natalie
    9 years ago
    Hi---yes, as I mentioned, that room gets a lot of light, you could go darker. Ben Moore's Ashley Gray might be an alternative. Keep us posted. :)
  • Natalie
    9 years ago
    ok wait, one on top is TT? Is there a chance of you painting the TT closer to the floor tiles? If there is some contrast it might work. The bottom color fades right into the tiles-the top however, has a bit more warmth to it and might be enough to show interest between wall and floor. Slap some paint up and post a pic. :)
  • Mary Ann
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I just went to the store and got more samples! Along with Griffin ,.. and some others. I will post soon. We are having dreary overcast weather today so the lighting will be artificial and dull overcast...
  • Mary Ann
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    More colors!
  • Mary Ann
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    The photo keeps cropping off the top portion of the picture! Anyway I added it also to my ideabooks. Still learning how to do things around here.
  • Natalie
    9 years ago
    Hi Mary Ann---ok, from what I can see (dark pic), the one I think is safe to 'rule out' of the 3 new colors, is the top one. It looks too brown, at least to me it does. :) Might be best to take pics in the daylight tomorrow. What are your thoughts? Do you like any of these? Too dark?
  • Mary Ann
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    The top on is BM Fairview Taupe, the middle is SW Griffin, the bottom is SW Backdrop. At first I really liked Backdrop, my husband likes Griffin. Yes. Sunlight will definitely alter the look of these but I agree we need to go darker. :)
  • Mary Ann
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    It's a bright sunny morning...here are the colors this morning.
  • Barbie
    9 years ago
    My vote is for backdrop.
  • Katy Richard
    9 years ago
    I like Griffin. Better contrast w floor. Love the cabinet.
  • Mary Ann
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    My photos keep getting cut off... The top on this picture is BM Fairview Taupe, Then Griffin, Then Backdrop and last is the leftover lighter color near the floor...that I nixed. It's too light.
  • tabelle70
    9 years ago
    I think dark and dramatic like Griffin is great looking. Similar to Grover's posting above.
  • Mary Ann
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks everyone! I think we may just go with the Griffin. It's dark and dramatic and with the high contrast and bright color accents. I think it will prove to be really colorful in the end!
  • Natalie
    9 years ago
    Hi Mary Ann---Wow, Griffin looks perfect! I love it in both pics---that is what's important, must look good day and night. Did I tell you how much I LOVE that armoire? LOL!!! Gorgeous! Keep us posted. Can't wait to see the progress... CheerS!
    Mary Ann thanked Natalie
  • MarleneM
    9 years ago
    I think Griffin is an excellent choice too.
  • Mary Ann
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Griffin! Now we need to complete the drop cloth curtains and we are going to make conduit pipe rods! We still need to paint all the trim.
  • groveraxle
    9 years ago
    Looking fabulous! Griffin is beautiful, and the white window trim really pops. Red rug and green armoire is INSPIRED!
    Mary Ann thanked groveraxle
  • MarleneM
    9 years ago
    Its looking lovely and cozy!
    Mary Ann thanked MarleneM
  • Natalie
    9 years ago
    LOVE it! Looks fabulous with that armoire too. Thanks for the update-looking forward to more photos during the transformation. Yay!
    Mary Ann thanked Natalie
  • Mary Ann
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    More updates!
  • Mary Ann
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I really need lighting and lamp ideas! I am terrible at that. Any suggestions?? I have overhead fans with lights I really want to update the lamps I have eventually.
  • groveraxle
    9 years ago
    Love the curtains. Did you just fold the drop cloths over and clip them to the rings? If so, that's brilliant.!
  • groveraxle
    9 years ago
    You could use a bit of the teal from the armoire sprinkled around the room. How about one of Lamps Plus's Color Plus lamps in teal?
    http://www.lampsplus.com/color-plus/
    Color Plus Ovo Oceanside Glass Satin Turquoise Table Lamp · More Info
  • Natalie
    9 years ago
    A Tiffany lamp, would look nice. Nothing too busy and/or colorful... [houzz=
    Tiffany-Style Modern Table Lamp · More Info
    ][houzz=
    Quoizel Riverbank Tiffany Style Table Lamp · More Info
    ][houzz=
    Quoizel Gardner Tiffany Style Table Lamp · More Info
    ]
    Mary Ann thanked Natalie
  • Mary Ann
    Original Author
    3 years ago

i realized I never posted the finished result!!!

• Angel 18432
    3 years ago

Turned out very nice. Love Chalk Paint.

• everdebz
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I started about 5 years ago, and I recall discussion about painter's cloth for practical curtains, etc... did you do that?

But your chalk paint, nice and a soft look. What color is it?

• Jen Osborne
    3 years ago

So cool that you posted those updates! What did you do with the rest of the room?

• Mary Ann
    Original Author
    3 years ago

some more of the room
    yes I did use the painters cloth!! loved it for all these windows!!

Sponsored
Old Dominion Kitchen Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars29 Reviews
Loudoun County's Kitchen & Bath Design Experts | Best of Houzz 3x