Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nalini_potineni

Steam shower

Nalini Potineni
9 years ago
I am at very early stage in deciding on remodeling my bath with steam shower. Any suggestions/opinions will be helpful on all aspects. -suggestions as to which company offers best steam shower product line
-type of tiles to use
-pitfall to avoid
etc. Look forward all suggestions. Thanks

Comments (29)

• User
    9 years ago
    Add an extra 10K-15K on average for the extra vapor proofing and mechanical and electrical upgrades. An upscale bath redo is already 50K. Can you deal with that added expense? http://www.remodeling.hw.net/cost-vs-value/bathroom-remodel-upscale?y=2014
    Nalini Potineni thanked User
  • PRO
    Martin Siwy
    9 years ago
    It will depend on the size of your shower. Typical setup is 5x5x8. I am going to be talking retail prices here. The minimum steam equipment you will need is a steam generator, controller and steam head. $2-4k. For waterproofing material check out Wedi ($1k). They offer best warranty against any damages and etc. The only 2 other things you need to do is to tile the ceiling and make sure your shower door goes all the way to the ceiling. Or you can install transom above the door. Tell your glass person to install silicone seals all around your glass panels. As far as the electrical goes you will need 208/240v and for this example you will need 50 AMPs. That's really it when it comes to steam shower upgrade. As far as the generator goes make sure that unit is not cycling (you want constant steam at constant rate), you probably want the fast start option included so you get steam in seconds and not minutes with option to turn it off from the controller if needed. For the equipment check out www.thermasol.com and let me know if you have any other questions. Good luck and wish you many relaxing days ahead in the steam shower ☺
    Nalini Potineni thanked Martin Siwy
  • Nalini Potineni
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Hi Martin & Cermac Builders, I appreciate you taking the time to give me the info. I now have good starting point. Hope to install one in the near future. Thanks and have a great day.
  • Nalini Potineni
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Hello Martin & Cermac Builders, I am starting to review products for steam generator, controller and steam head. Can you suggest manufactures who have the best product for these items. Thanks.
  • PRO
    Chermac Builders Inc
    9 years ago
    There are a number of good products available, some more expensive than others. You want to make sure you get a good unit that does not require you remove and clean the steam probe. This is a pain, and rarely done, which leads to premature failure of the probe. Kohler, Thermasol, and others. Do some research, then check with a local higher end Bath Showroom, and talk to them about what products they sell. If you have a Ferguson showroom in your area they are a good supplier. Like Martin said, figure you will spend between $2-4K for a good unit. One step further is to check out reviews of these products, then... make sure you have a plumber that has plumbed steam before. Proper installation is as critical as the unit you purchase. Making sure the line from the generator to the shower has the proper slope and doesn't hold water, is very important. Most good generators have a cleaning cycle and it is imperative that the unit drain the water used during the cleaning cycle properly.
    Nalini Potineni thanked Chermac Builders Inc
  • Nalini Potineni
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thank you for all the helpful hints.
  • PRO
    Chermac Builders Inc
    9 years ago
    You are welcome! I prefer to think of it as more "professional advice" over helpful hints!! Those are what Heloise and Martha Stewart give! Just kidding!!
  • Nalini Potineni
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    :) No problem we can change it to "professional advice". Thanks!!
  • fernon
    9 years ago
    Hi. We are currently in the process of finishing our basement and have chosen to add a steam shower. Thermasol is a great brand but we decided to go with a SteamMist. Both are available from Ferguson and they can help you size it but will need to know all your sizes and materials. Ours will be pretty large... 9 ft ceiling, and 6.5 X 4.5 with a mostly glass door to ceiling... except for a small pony wall. Besides what has already been mentioned... when in doubt go up in size to make sure you get enough steam quickly and decide and measure where your steam generator will be located for easy access and maintenance. You will need to flush it or purchase an autoclean that will need to drain into a drain line. SteamMist generator can me installed 25 ft from the value.... Thermosal goes up to 50 ft. We are going with large ceramic tile to hold in the heat and less grout to clean and a solid marble or granite bench seat.
  • PRO
    Martin Siwy
    9 years ago
    This is the most fun I had on houzz. Thanks @MelNeedHelp and @Chermac Builders Inc!

MelNeedHelp, please let me know what size shower you are going with (Length x Width x Height)
  • PRO
    Chermac Builders Inc
    9 years ago
    Fernon - just a suggestion... I would recommend porcelain tile over ceramic. It is fired at hotter temperatures and is stronger and more water resistant. It should perform better on a steam shower environment. I would further suggest using a single component grout like a soliconized material (Fusion), or urethane based (Quartz-Lock2). They two should perform better. Resistant to cracking, mold/mildew, etc.
  • PRO
    Chermac Builders Inc
    9 years ago
    Martin... It's just nice having another Pro confirm what we say rather than throwing bin their 2 cents that makes no cents!!!
  • fernon
    9 years ago
    Thanks Chermac. Good info
  • Nalini Potineni
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Hello Martin & CBuilders, Finally got a chance to get back to this project.....work and weekend schedule took over. Uploading our present MB Bathroom....lot of work to be done. We have been renovating our house in phases. Early next year we hope to do MB Bath. Plan is to take out the Whirlpool tub and reconfigure the space to add steam shower etc. Thanks!
  • PRO
    Chermac Builders Inc
    9 years ago
    Great way to go. Break the house up into budget manageable projects. In my opinion it is better to do a room at a time as you can afford it not settling for less to do more at one time. Better to wait a year or two and do it right, than skimp. Just my opinion.
  • Nalini Potineni
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Martin &CBuilders, Is it more safer to have steam shower in the basement with regarding leaks etc?
  • PRO
    Martin Siwy
    9 years ago
    MelNeedHelp, drain pan is required by local codes in most if not all states underneath the generator. This drain pan will need to be plumbed. If the pressure relief valve would ever get activated or the tank would leak (all very rare cases) that water would ended up in a drain pan and travel to the plumbed drain. If your basement has a floor drain already in place you can utilize it as a drain outlet. Install it where you will have an easy access to the generator. Also if you decide to go with it in the basement, make sure it's climate controlled (not sure where you are you don't want the water to freeze)
  • PRO
    Chermac Builders Inc
    9 years ago
    MeINeedHelp - Martin is right... yet again!! Since you are essentially doing this from scratch I wouldn't let the potential for "leaks" drive where I place the steam shower. If you want it in your Master Bath, and that is where it will get used the most, then I would locate it there. I also agree with Martin that having convenient access to the generator is a good thing to have. If the new steam shower is properly installed, plumbed, etc., there should not be too much to worry about in the way of leaks. Again - do some checking on your end to make sure you get someone who is familiar with steam, pick good equipment, and you should be fine!
    Nalini Potineni thanked Chermac Builders Inc
  • Luca Penati
    9 years ago
    Anyone knows a good contractor specialized in steam showers based in San Francisco/Bay Area? thanks in advance!
  • PRO
    Martin Siwy
    8 years ago

Luca, did you ever find anyone you would recommend? Just curious....thanks.

• kmalcolkp
    8 years ago

Yet another steam shower question - does the placement of the generator in terms of above or below the steam head matter?

We're putting a steam shower in our master bath (2nd floor) and I'm planning on installing the generator approximate 15' away in an alcove near the ceiling of the 1st floor (i.e., below the shower enclosure). That said, I also have a large linen closet on the 2nd floor that it could be installed in.

Is one location more ideal than the other for performance?

• kmalcolkp
    8 years ago

ps. We're likely going with Steamist if that matters....

• PRO
    Martin Siwy
    8 years ago

Hi kmalcolkp, if you go with ThermaSol you won't have to worry about the sound of solenoid valve constantly opening and closing to replenish the water inside the tank. As far as the location I would say go with "above" the steamhead if you have that choice. If you install it below and you turn off the unit any left over water in the steam line will stay inline which may cause "water spitting" effect the next time you turn on Steam. Let me know if you have any questions.

• Eric Hanson
    7 years ago

Any advice about putting in a window in the steam shower? I would like to have one for the lighting but am wondering about how to handle the privacy issue and also the cooling effects in one spot.

• acm
    7 years ago

@triceric I'd start my own thread with this question rather than piggybacking on an 18-month-old discussion.

• PRO
    Chermac Builders Inc
    7 years ago

From a privacy perspective you can use a frosted glass, or some other "obscure glass" that would provide privacy. There are many obscure glass options. Additionally you would want to make sure you use tempered glass, and probably most importantly check with the manufacturer regarding warranty issues that could arise in installing an insulated window unit in a steam shower environment. There could be an issue with the window heating up on the interior, and the exterior pane of glass being cold during winter months. This could cause the seal between the panes of glass to prematurely fail, leading to condensation between the panes of glass. One other option you could look at is an acrylic block window (similar to glass block, but made of an acrylic material). As with glass there are various obscure options. Also, as with glass, I would consult the manufacturer on using one in a steam shower environment. Hy-Lite is a good place to look at acrylic block windows. Hope this is helpful.

• PRO
    Martin Siwy
    7 years ago

@triceric there are really nice options with electric privacy glass. Here is one example of company that makes them http://www.switchlite.com/home.html

• PRO
    Providence Flooring and Paint
    6 years ago
    I realize this is an old discussion, but never use QuartzLock2 or Fusion in a steam shower. Epoxy is the only grout I would recommend for that environment. steam showers are also a beast to maintain.