Software
Houzz Logo Print
sarah_mcgrath

HELP! Ready to buy furniture for bonus room, but what will fit???

14 years ago
This room is proving to be very challenging. I want a cozy bonus room with lots of seating for movie night with my hubby and the kids. I would love any ideas for furniture placement or pieces that would fit. We have a 55" TV and that's it.....I'm hoping to buy and refurbish most of the furniture off craigslist, but will most likely buy the couch new.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Comments (8)

  • PRO
    14 years ago
    Hi,

    Maybe try thinking of this as two spaces or "zones". Since the light from the windows might interfere with the TV, that can be a seating area for reading & playing games. Try flanking the fireplace with bookshelves/storage for games. A couple overstuffed chairs opposite the fireplace with a large round coffee table and cube ottomans for extra seating.

    Then, the second half of the room (assuming top of specs is North) place an "L" shaped sofa (or loveseat & sofa arranged in L) on the west wall, just south of the door on the east wall. The longest side would be on the west wall, the shortest side (or loveseat) would float towards the east door. The TV could be on the remaining 12'-5" section of the wall, with extra seating (double chair on wheels) in the south-east corner.

    Just aim for 3' clearance around your doors & you should be fine. I'm not sure what flooring you have, but rugs can be used to make each zone its own & to add a cozy feel.

    I hope my description wasn't too confusing! :). Enjoy your new family bonus-space!
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    last modified: 14 years ago
    Hi Sarah, this is a bit unconventional, but I would place the TV in the center of the room, and have a bookshelf on the other side which matches the scale of the fireplace so it reads as a large entertainment unit. The seating is split to provide circulation space from the door to the sliding door, you could have 2 sets of sectional sofas instead to provide more seating space.

    Good Luck.
  • 14 years ago
    Thanks for the ideas everyone! Barbara, I'm a little confused...I think I get the couch placement but is the TV on the East wall next to the door?
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    I'm sorry, it certainly can be hard to describe via text. :) Yes, the TV would then be on the East wall. Unless you have a TV that is not wall mountable, in which case, you would want to possibly angle the TV in the south-east corner & put chairs on the east wall.
  • 14 years ago
    This room is large enough to have two seating areas, one for TV watching and one by the fireplace. By the fireplace I'd place a couch in front of the windos and add one club chair. On the wall opposite the fireplace, I'd put a small game table and four chairs. I remember all the night my faimily played Risk and Monopoly.

    On the wall next to the fireplace I'd put a large couch or sectional. On the opposite wall I'd mount the TV in a wall of cabinets and shelves. Add one or two club chairs, lamps, coffee table, and end table.
  • 14 years ago
    Houssaon, I just saw this! Im not sure which wall you think I should put a sectional?
  • 13 years ago
    Sectional ordered for upper right corner, corner sectional 108x108.

    So.....now what should I buy next?