Software
Houzz Logo Print
nancy_stella

Need paint color advice

12 years ago
Built a house four years ago and painted the interior off white until I was ready to decide on colors. Now I'm ready. I've fallen in love with Benjamin Moore Coventry Gray and Palladium Blue. Thought I would paint my foyer in 1/2 tint of Coventry gray, the living room and dining room in palladium blue and the kitchen and breakfast nook in full tint Coventry gray and take the gray down a long hallway where my four bedrooms and laundry room are. The main living area is pretty much an open floor plan for the dining room, living room and kitchen area. Thoughts? Floors are mahogany with beige/gray tile in the foyer. Attached some "before" pictures of living room, dining room and kitchen eating area.

Comments (22)

  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I think this will be gorgeous!
  • 12 years ago
    Be sure and get a sample of the gray, and paint either a poster board or a small piece of sheet rock to see how it looks in the light in your house. Lighter grays have a lot of purple in them that shows up in different light. You'll want to make it you don't end up with a room that looks purple half the time.
  • 12 years ago
    Thanks for the comments. I've taken a few pictures of the area. The quality is not great as I used my iPad but will give you a general idea. There is a wall between the kitchen and dining room which allows for a break in the paint color. The large piece of furniture in the first picture is in the dining room and against the wall between the kitchen and dining room. The second picture is view from living room into dining room with kitchen doorway to the right. Third picture is from the dining room into living room. Fourth picture is from the foyer into living room. Fifth and six pictures (if the attach) are kitchen shots.
  • 12 years ago
    Here are the kitchen pictures.
  • 12 years ago
    Hi---two gorgeous colors... From what I can see the Palladian Blue is perfect. I do recommend painting a sample of the Coventry Gray and see how it looks with the wood tones of your floors--should be fine. Good Luck!
  • 12 years ago
    Thanks. The floors are not as red as the appear in the pictures. I will paint a large sample of the gray and see how the floors look with it. I had thought about doing the living room and dining room in the gray and using the palladium blue in the breakfast area and down the hallway. I would use the gray in the kitchen as I think it would accent the granite nicely. Any opinion on this option?
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    It's hard to answer without really understanding the layout of the house. Is the breakfast area connected to the hallway?
  • 12 years ago
    Thanks for your help. The hallway opening separates the breakfast area from the dining room. The kitchen and breakfast area are opposite the dining room, separated by the wall that has the microwave and refrigerator on it in the one picture. In the picture with the dining room chandelier , you can see the hallway opening. The breakfast area is to the right of the hallway.
  • 12 years ago
    For the health & well being of the paino, it is not good for an outside wall.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Sorry - I'm still not clear on layout. Can you draw a rough sketch and post. I'll look and answer in the morning.
  • 12 years ago
    I will draw the layout. Thank you!
  • 12 years ago
    Thought it would be easier if I showed you the floor plan from the architect's plans. The hallway opening is on the back wall of the dining room and the breakfast nook area is to the right of the hallway entrance. (You'll see the words attic access near the hall opening on the plans). That hallway takes you to the bedrooms and laundry room.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Will look at this in the morning:)
  • 12 years ago
    Thank you for the advice on the piano.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Nancy - I can't make out the floor plan! It's too small to see on my monitor and when I print it, it's too blurry. Sorry - could be my non technical skills.
  • 12 years ago
    A light turquoise should fit it pretty well.
  • 12 years ago
    Rebecca, I'm so sorry! Thanks for you patience. Here's a hand drawing, not to scale.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Hi Nancy - thanks for the additional sketch. It confirms what I was going to propose. What if you did the grey in the LR and kitchen and then introduce the blue with an accent wall in the DR (the wall that has a small painting on it?) and continue the blue to the other side of the house where the breakfast area is?
  • 12 years ago
    Rebecca, I like that idea! Yes, that's the wall with the small picture which will be replaced with something more interesting.

    Would you take the gray down the hallway that begins at that accent wall or continue with the Palladian Blue?

    I think I need to select a different gray. I painted a large sample (thanks to a suggestion I received) and it tends to look purple in some lighting situations.
    Thank you so much for your interest and time!
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    You could go either way with the hallway, really. Both would work. Glad I could help:)
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I think your choice of colours are excellent, however, based on the architecture of the home, it looks like there will be an abundance of free space on the walls. Perhaps you could consider adding wall art stickers that would complement the palladium blue and Coventry grey perfectly. I'm sure you can find some to suit your walls whatever colour scheme you go for, which you can easily get from: http://www.infinitywallart.com/wallstickers