Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
steeleli

Color oain dilema for this small half bath... Please help me..please

Eli Martínez
9 years ago
1/2 Bathroom re do. what color should I used?
The picture I posted with a round white frame was my inspirational design but I am way off track...

Comments (50)

• User
    9 years ago
    I see a neutral light forest green with silver faucets.. A round mirror wouldn't look proportionate I would stick to a rectangular mirror with again a silver frame to add color you can get a cute small basket for face cloths neatly rolled up. If there is not enough counter space don't overcrowd it. Just a simple soap pump (not dish) and install A small towel hanger to the right of the sink. If you need storage I would add a type of curtain to cover the shelves. Or you can use decorative items like potpourri :)
    Eli Martínez thanked User
  • User
    9 years ago
    I would place mosaic tiles on the inside back walls of cubby hole shelves. I would get a more delicate looking mirror, but silver is good.
  • PRO
    Thos. Baker
    9 years ago
    I agree. Your color isn't that far off. On my screen, it looks like your inspiration photo is more lilac grey, but your color choice is pretty close. Here's a color sample from Sherwin Williams called Unique Gray.

It has a lilac hue to it, but is probably a shade darker than your inspiration photo. I agree with painting the backs of the niches or using a pretty mosaic tile. Also agree that the silver rectangle mirror is good, but one with a thinner frame would be great!

Christi, on behalf of Thos. Baker
    Eli Martínez thanked Thos. Baker
  • Eli Martínez
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Wow...You guys are so kind and generous to share your ideas and offer me your advise.
    here is a picture with the idea that some of you had, adding mosaic tile or something similar to the niches.Please tell me what you think? Will be taking a look at the Unique grey and love the idea of the light green forest..... thank you so much...
  • Eli Martínez
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I absolutely agree that the mirror needs a thinner more delicate frame ....
  • Eli Martínez
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    If I mount the sconce upside down wouldn't I get shadows on my face?
  • User
    9 years ago
    I assume there are no windows in that room. The color you have works fine and the mosaic tile sample you posted looks great with it. If you could put sconce lighting on either side of a slim mirror, the lighting will be most flattering.
  • Eli Martínez
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    No windows, the electric is already done and the back wall is tile so i wont be able to add the sconces. :) Gosh, to me the color is too much all the same, i see no contrast with the back tile
  • Eli Martínez
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    what do you think about the wood shelves inserts?
  • User
    9 years ago
    It's a matter of taste and style. A color would work just fine. Only be aware that it will be darker than your paint chip and you will feel closely surrounded in a small room, each wall reflecting the others. Some people like the drama of a dark color in a small space. A light sea glass color would be fresh looking. Depends on the mood you wish to create. Neutral walls can be invigorated by bright towels and other accents.
  • Eli Martínez
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I do like the see glass color... by any chance Do you have a color name or number? i seem the be color blind...Thank you so much for your time and advise :)
  • User
    9 years ago
    Try Sherwin Williams Sea Salt or Benjamin Moore Wythe Blue or Palladium Blue. You can look up photos of these colors on Houzz web page. If you think you are color blind, you'd better have someone else guide you when you select paint. Keep in mind, colors on the monitor don't show true.
  • PRO
    Color Zen
    9 years ago
    Frameless, vertical, rectangular mirror that fills up most of the space. Perhaps the notion of a frame is just holding you back :)
    Eli Martínez thanked Color Zen
  • acm
    9 years ago
    I was going to suggest frameless as well -- less distracting, and will block less light. Love the pebbles in the shelves, but depends on what you plan to put in there.
    Eli Martínez thanked acm
  • PRO
    CLOSED
    9 years ago
    Sea glass from Kelly Moore would be a terrific choice #KM4851-1 and I'd paint the inside of the shelving areas Wind Jammer #KM4852-2 to give the room more depth. If you're going to paint the wooden shelves I'd paint them white to make them pop. Also, neither of the mirrors look all that wonderful. You have a lot of rectangular objects in the room, pick an oval shape for the mirror. Good luck with your project. Marla
    Eli Martínez thanked CLOSED
  • PRO
    Thos. Baker
    9 years ago
    Hi Eli. I think the niches look more modern without the wood shelf inserts. Also, mosaic tile in the back of the niches would be very pretty if there were a splash of color in the tile. Here's a couple of photos of mosaic tile ideas. What do you think? Also posting a couple of different mirrors to show how a more slender frame or a frameless mirror would work over your sink. You're doing great! It will all come together one step at a time!

• Eli Martínez
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I am so exited to have all of your support..., okay.,, no frame on the mirror, the one Christi posted on the right w out frame is georgous, I think I can get it at Lowes... Will try that one and oval shape. The color mosaic is very attractive .... I was planing to put a sea shelf collection inside those niches...not sure if they both mosaic and shelf would work. I have to research the colors because defenectely everything is just too dead .. I like something lighter and fresh look... I told my husband that this was the last time I ever buy semi gloss paint, it is just horrible ( he loves the drama ) My husband will be helping me w the colors...did you guys see the picture where the niches are painted in off white?
    Dear Christi, I love the light fresh look of the bathroom picture you posted, that is what I want.. More neutral tones. Once we get done with right color and mirror we will try with and with out shelve inserts and see what looks best. Thank you all ... You guys are so talented... This is very hard to do for my self. :)
  • PRO
    Lauren Jacobsen Interior Design
    9 years ago
    Turning the light fixture upside down, yes, you will get shadows on your face having no side lighting. However, you are still only lighting the top of the ceiling which isn't good either.
  • Eli Martínez
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    There is one more light (led) in there un in ceiling which gives out good light. I wish I would of wire the electric for side sconces like I did in the master area:( Thank you so much
  • User
    9 years ago
    Somewhere down the line it may be feasible for you to have a solar tube installed in your ceiling for natural light. I have no experience with these but have heard from others that it makes a big difference in a room without natural light. Perhaps others can give a report on this idea.
  • everdebz
    9 years ago
    also Revere Pewter?
    Palo Alto Traditional · More Info
  • PRO
    Thos. Baker
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    Hi Eli. I'm glad you liked the mirror and the bath photos! I studied the color you chose for your bath against the photos you like and it seems to me the reason your color isn't working for you is that it may carry too much brown in it, which is weighing it down. You're after a "light and fresh" look, so you need to go with "cool" undertones, not "warm" ones.

What do you think about this color? It's pretty close to the color of the bath with the frameless mirror. Actually, it's a bit in between the wall colors in the two photos, but has more purple than gray, brown or blue hues. I'll post side by side, so you can see. I think once you get the color that inspires you, the rest will fall into place!

The color is Behr Paint "Lavender Lace." If you like it, be sure to go with Behr Ultra Premium paint in a Satin or Eggshell finish.

• PRO
    Thos. Baker
    9 years ago
    Eli...you may also want to check out Benjamin Moore Winter Gray (left) and Benjamin Moore Whisper Violet (right). If none of these shades feel right, then we'll keep kicking it around until we find the one that does. Someone here on Houzz will come up with the perfect color suggestion for you -- they usually do!

• PRO
    Design Harmony
    9 years ago
    I really love Sherwin Williams Repose Gray
    Eli Martínez thanked Design Harmony
  • Eli Martínez
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Hi Christi, your description about color dilemma is exactly the way I feel....Amazing.. It does bring me down, too heavy. I understand now finally that I need cool colors, to tell you the truth I have never used them before.. wow, Thank you for making sense of this nite mere.
    the lavender lace inspires me, very nice! I will get a color sample.
    The idea of adding a sky lite is a wonderful one, I am keeping that in my next to do projects.
    I am checking Benjamin Moore colors from the color chart but I can not find Whisper Grey, winter violet :( those two inspired me a lot) neither Repose Grey in Sherwin Williams... I ll go to the store, so estrange they are not here.
    Does anyone know where can I get Kelly Moore paints? I have never heard it before.
    Thank you so much
  • Eli Martínez
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    To: Rainy morning: Sea Salt from Sherwin William and Whythe blue are good looking colors but they seem to be too warm for my dark 1/2 bath...Thank you... Working on cool tones that Christi suggested.thank you :).
  • PRO
    Thos. Baker
    9 years ago
    Hi Again Eli!

It's Benjamin Moore Winter Gray -- not Whisper Gray. ;) Here's the link:

http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/wintergray

Also, here two more great colors. This one is Benjamin Moore Slip:

http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/slip

And Benjamin Moore Dreamy Cloud:

http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/dreamycloud

Also, I think Home Depot carries Kelly Moore paint, but if you shop at Home Depot and have a choice, I'd recommend Behr Ultra Premium instead.

You can take the name and number of any paint color to a paint store and the computerized color system will match that color to use any base paint the store carries. So, the important thing is to find a color you love and then use a good quality paint for best results!

• Eli Martínez
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Hi Christi, here is the new mirror I got...what do you think? I am Still gathering all the new color options. Thank you very much :)
  • PRO
    Thos. Baker
    9 years ago
    Hi Eli! I think it's beautiful! Good job! Have you hung it on the wall yet? Or did you just set it on the sink for the photo? The reason I'm asking is that it needs to be hung 2-3 inches above the sink. Let us know when you pick a color -- you're making great progress!

• Eli Martínez
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Hi Christi. The mirror is not hung on the wall yet .. Since that wall is tiled I wanted to be sure it was the right one before I dril into it and create a permanent hole. Great observación! ... :) I Will Hang At 3" as you suggested...I am traveling from Miami now but I feel I am leaning towards a color in the lavander family I need to put more time into it...Thank you for your enthusiasm ... My progress is a bid slow but steady as a turtle walk :) thank you ver much
  • User
    9 years ago
    A soft lavender paint color will be lovely.
  • PRO
    Thos. Baker
    9 years ago
    Hi Eli...you're most welcome. Take your time picking out the right color. I'm sure you don't want to repaint your bathroom yet again! Slow and steady is better than rushing and regretting! If you find something, but you're not sure, post it and see what everyone thinks. We're all just hanging out here sharing ideas! :)

• PRO
    Luxa interior
    9 years ago
    Dark magenta with combination white color
    White color should be full white and it should be used as narrow lines
  • carolinabaille
    9 years ago
    I have had small windowless powder rooms and love the surprise of darker colors with many reflective surfaces. consider metallic paints or stencils and shiny reflective surfaces of your mirror. Silver braid on your towels. Don't be afraid of wallpapers with silver or gold, if you prefer, One of the most outstanding powder rooms I've ever been in was a deep chocolate brown with gold metallics all around. It was intimate and elegant and created a sense of privacy as they are usually in a busy area.
    Eli Martínez thanked carolinabaille
  • Eli Martínez
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Hi, Carolina..... I think everyone here would like to see it. Could you post a picture? Thank you
  • ll249
    9 years ago
    You could also find some towels with a pop of bright color instead of the pale ones to wake up the space.
  • ll249
    9 years ago
    and glass tiles in the niches would give you some depth to whatever color tiles you choose.
  • carolinabaille
    9 years ago
    The bright, bright towels is another good idea. In small spaces go bold.
    For those who asked, I will try to upload some sample photos. One home I had I did the walls in deep camel color (in 1975!) the wallpaper was the same background color with monarch butterflies. The wing colors were lt. blue and complimentary shades. Think where all the black outlining would be - was in silver. The counters were black marble and the floor speckled black, brown and cream tiles. I used lt. blue for the towels and rug. People adored it. A white statue on the counter with silver and crystal faucets. Hope the photos will give you some ideas to suit for your taste and other rooms.
    Eli Martínez thanked carolinabaille
  • flyergal
    9 years ago
    If you are worried about shadows on your face, go with a lighted mirror. I love mine.
  • Eli Martínez
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Hi Everyone Again ! Please look at this colors. # 1 is Lavender Lace and # 2 purple essence. Christi... Lavender laze is the one you suggested. What do you think? I like the purple essence or similar a little deeper tone to it.
  • ll249
    9 years ago
    I like the top one
  • PRO
    Thos. Baker
    9 years ago
    Hi Eli -- of the two shades of lavender, I like the bottom one best. Is that Lavender Lace? (I'm not counting the one at the very bottom that looks beige). The top one is pretty, but I think it's a bit too bright and has too strong of a purple hue to it. The bottom one is more subdued and sophisticated, and I think a softer shade will give you a better end result.

That's my opinion, but what's important is that you love the colors in your home!

• Eli Martínez
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Hi Christi.... Yes, The lighter shade is the lavander lace.. I am stock betewen the lighter and the more purple one on top... The only way for me to be sure is just paint one entire wall. Will post the picture in a few days. Thank you so much !
  • PRO
    Thos. Baker
    9 years ago
    Eli....looking forward to seeing the outcome! Post photos!

• Eli Martínez
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Hi Christi,defenectely I will post the pictures ... My whole house is under remodeling, the kitchen, the other two bathrooms and all the lighting ... Crazy! Thank you so much for caring :) we just got the kitchen island granite... Would you like to see it ?
  • Tamy
    9 years ago
    Wallpaper in hey combo metallic pattern inside the niches. They can be all the same...or different patterns with same metallic.

Or, you could paint them much darker.

You need to buy a round mirror and put it up so that when you are liking in it...that you are centred in the mirror. Mirror should not be larger than countertop. You will be able to mount a small glass shelf between the mirror and countertop.

If you have space under your bathroom sink cabinet...find yourself or build yourself a drawer with small wheels for extra storage. Put a really shinny cabinet pull and towel hooks or bars to match the chrome finish of your faucet.

Oh, if you have a shower curtain, buy one that is long enough to be hung from the ceiling...this makes a nice difference on the appearance of night. So, if you have a bulkhead there, then put it in front above the bulkhead.

Nice job so far.
  • zazfuzzroc
    9 years ago
    Hello, I think you're doing great and I see you have much help. I have one thing to add. :) Please make sure you check the manufacturer's instructions on your lighting fixture, some lights can Not be mounted the opposite way. Please check before you change it. :) Good luck with your space. :)
  • bblakeney
    9 years ago
    This powder looks great. I love the niches with wood. We are going to redo our 1/2 bath and I love the wall tile. Do you remember the color and who makes it? Thanks so much!
  • Eli Martínez
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Hi, the color name is Algas Gris 12 x 24 porcelain from Spain. I bought in Miami at JD Home Design. Good luck!