Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
susancryor

Need help with fireplace

susancryor
9 years ago
Gas fireplace gets HOT can not put mantel up, installed ceiling fan to disburse heat still too hot for paintings, etc. do not like the look of bookshelves, too cluttered, (and I hate to dust

Comments (16)

• susancryor
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    My post was cut off...so here you go ..... a mantel would have to go SO high it looks awful, a mason suggested facing with half stone, too heavy looking. No art work would survive the heat. I can not even find out the name to describe this style fireplace to google ideas for it!
  • susancryor
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Oh yea this is our family room
  • everdebz
    9 years ago
    Modern Farmhouse · More Info
  • PRO
    Sustainable Dwellings
    9 years ago
    A heavy mantel would be great, is this gas fireplace vented with proper pipe? I would probably remove the eagle above the wreath.... out of scale. Sorry.
    susancryor thanked Sustainable Dwellings
  • Lynne Mysliwiec
    9 years ago
    Is it a gas unit or a wood-burning fireplace?
  • Lynne Mysliwiec
    9 years ago
    Am thinking that it was improperly constructed if there is so much heat on the exterior of the fireplace / masonry
    susancryor thanked Lynne Mysliwiec
  • everdebz
    9 years ago
    Eagle is the third thing on fp surface, ok though small. The small shelf on right is 'off.
    susancryor thanked everdebz
  • PRO
    Ellsworth Design Build
    9 years ago
    Cast iron stove inserts are designed to give off heat, they are often the primary heat source in a home, unlike my pretty little gas log set which is designed to be ... pretty. If you don't need this for heat, switch it out for logs. Regardless, get the bottom third of the fireplace faced in stone with a stone mantle shelf to deflect the heat away from the chimney breast.
    susancryor thanked Ellsworth Design Build
  • PRO
    Sustainable Dwellings
    9 years ago
    Did you build or buy? Try to have someone check the pipe.... you should be able to pull the unit for service.?. We have similar ( two story fireplace/gas) and have stainless steel double wall pipe ( Class B... google piping for gas units). Otherwise, check with a local gas fireplace dealer. It is important for fire safety, and exhaust fumes.
    susancryor thanked Sustainable Dwellings
  • Craig CraigMDesigns
    9 years ago
    It's a room heating stove and is meant to do that. You need an expert to check if the chimney is real and the have it changed out to gas logs . Hopefully it is convertable. No way to put a mantel on this shape so I'd do a shelf or mantel on the walls either side wall to wall flush with the chimney. They could be cabinets beneath with glass doors and open storage or a mix of open and closed. I'd go about 30-36" high and I think it would be very good looking. I must same that's the first arched fireplace I've seen that isn't ugly! Good luck!
    susancryor thanked Craig CraigMDesigns
  • Gary Ware
    9 years ago
    I have a neighbor that does amazing scenes with spray can paint and brushes. You could use heat resistant paint (any auto store) and 1. spray an outdoor scene, 2. paint a tree or stone, etc.
    susancryor thanked Gary Ware
  • susancryor
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Answers to above:
    It is a gas, yes designed for heat, had it installed, properly by fireplace installers with proper piping and venting. It heated our home in Maine. We purposefully brought it here in NY for its heating capability. We bought, did not build this home. Chimney real....even ash clean out in the basement. No problem there. They are gas logs. Ellsworth-Hallett, interesting as that is what a mason suggested. We are just not excited about making it LOOK so heavy. might need to revisit your idea! Yea, the Eagle was given to us from my Dad, who is now in Arlington Cementary .....always been over our fireplaces....I see what you are saying as well as the shelf which is home for an antique mantel clock....was always on the mantel....is out for service at this time....
  • Nia Anderson
    9 years ago
    Have you had this serviced recently? I'm only asking because you may be running it too hot. We have a floor fan pointing directly on ours on low and it warms the room much faster and keeps the mantle cool.
  • susancryor
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Oh yes, serviced every fall, same as furnace!
  • susancryor
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Gutierrez01, setting on low, not anything higher, tried the fans, even behind the stove, prior to having the ceiling fan installed, it is Jotul stove. Designed to heat. Doing its job !