Software
Houzz Logo Print
mark617

Wood Floor Choice!!!! Down to 3 Options...HELP

11 years ago
I have narrowed it down to 3 flooring options...feel free to comment, vote, add new idea, etc. Thanks in advance for any input!!!!

Comments (122)

  • 11 years ago
    Yes indeed, IMHO, go with the lighter color one...pic #3.
    mark617 thanked Curt D'Onofrio
  • 11 years ago
    We went from really light flooring in our kitchen to dark dark brown and I wasn't prepared for how it makes the space feel so much smaller and of course DARKER!! Sometimes I wish I had kept our lighter floors. Also for what it's worth - I like the middle option. Not too dark. Dark floors are really trendy right now but as with all trends they turn in ya!!!!!
    mark617 thanked Deb Hopper
  • 11 years ago
    Thanks everyone!!!! I will try to answer some of the questions above...
    I have no kids/Pets, but I do not want to sweep daily for sure, no way!
    I have considered painting the cabinets, but I cannot justify it or the expense right now...
    Too funny about the Acacia/Walnut, makes perfect sense now. It's all about the education before the decision, normally, I do it the other way around which always gets me in financial trouble :)
    Thanks again everyone!!!! I am leaning towards the lighter Acacia version at this point. And, I have ordered one box of each the Sadlle Walnut and the Natural Acacia to test. I figure I am choosing 1 of the 2, so I will only be "Wasting" money on the box of wood I do not end up using.
  • 11 years ago
    I would choose the medium. the dark is nice but it will show more dust. the light is too close to the cabinets.
    mark617 thanked sacapuntaslapioz
  • 11 years ago
    Hope you'll post a pic when it's done.
    mark617 thanked Ann
  • 11 years ago
    I will def post pic when done...will likely post pics when i test a full box of each choice
  • 11 years ago
    I like the lightest one. With wood cabinets a slightly lighter than cabinets color looks best.
    mark617 thanked Tess Wakefield
  • 11 years ago
    I like the lightest one, too. There's still plenty of contrast and it won't show every crumb and little scratch. And will go nicely with the whole kitchen.
    mark617 thanked User
  • 11 years ago
    And the whole house!
    mark617 thanked Nancy Walton
  • 11 years ago
    First sample box is down for test...this is the Natural Acacia, the lightest of the options. Please pardon the poor lighting. Flooring actually looks a bit darker to the naked eye.
  • 11 years ago
    A few more photos...
  • 11 years ago
    That one is nice. Looks like it works well with the cabinet color.
    mark617 thanked Ann
  • 11 years ago
    It looks really good with your cabinets bc of the color variation. The lightest color in the floor is the same as the cabinets. Does it look that way in person?
    mark617 thanked emilyam819
  • 11 years ago
    Yes, emilyam819, I believe the light shades do match...this is only one box, and a bit darker than I thought, but I still like it. The second option (saddle walnut) box arrives tomorrow so I will add more photos tomorrow night or Saturday...hopefully I will find something better to do on a Friday night than put down wood floor samples :) But then again, I am enjoying this, I cannot lie.
  • 11 years ago
    Ok, some updates...both samples of wood down for additional colors and variations. I am glad I purchased one box of each, because they vary greatly from the original sample boards I saw. Thinking about painting the cabinets in a cream color with a glaze and coffee color accent...? But, I have no idea what the cost is for something like that. If anyone has experience with re-apinting/facing cabinets, please weigh in, thanks!!!
  • 11 years ago
    These are the samples of saddle walnut color...not as good a match as the natural acacia for the kitchen, but if I change the cabinet color to cream/off white, it might be perfect. Plus, I like the saddle walnut better in all the other rooms, but the natural acacia works the best in the kitchen. Any advice on painting cabinets is much appreciated, thanks!
  • 11 years ago
    Leave the cabinets and choose the acacia. Looks great!
    mark617 thanked emilyam819
  • 11 years ago
    The acacia looks so much more richer than the saddle. It has more depth of color.
    mark617 thanked Nancy Walton
  • 11 years ago
    I like the walnut better but like the acacia better with the cabinets (although the walnut isn't bad at all). I think it's expensive to have cabinets painted but no personal experience.
    mark617 thanked Ann
  • 11 years ago
    Just have to say, I have never had trouble with wood floors. There are some things you just don't do.. Leave water on the floor, put a pet dish down without something under it, I love wood floors in a kitchen, at my present home, there was left over flooring so we replaced the (ugh, vinyl) in a laundry room, jack and Jill bathroom, and a 1 1/2 yrs later, it looks fabulous. (3/4" Brazilian cherry)
    mark617 thanked kimberlysc
  • 11 years ago
    The wood will change color, did the showroom give you a sample of what it looks like a year after exposed?
    mark617 thanked kimberlysc
  • 11 years ago
    Well, oddly enough, the sample I had was not as dark, so I guess that sample is likely a year + old...which makes sense, good point. Thanks for the input!!!!
  • 11 years ago
    If you like the walnut better in the rest of the house that is what I would do because it sounds like you don't love the kitchen cabinets - even if it is a while before you do the cabinets you will be happy in the rest of the house and the walnut appears to have enough of the lighter color to blend.
    mark617 thanked mam1022
  • 11 years ago
    One more thing.. I think less is more, you tend to go classic in rest of your home, your wall color is gorgeous.. Clean simple understated, I would go with less busy color/grain
    mark617 thanked kimberlysc
  • 11 years ago
    The walnut is beautiful, imagine kitchen cabinets white with that flooring.
    mark617 thanked kimberlysc
  • 11 years ago
    Looking again, I'd go with the calmer walnut too. Even as they are, the cabinets look quite nice with it.
    mark617 thanked Ann
  • 11 years ago

    I would go with the lighter one, as it has some matching color to your cabinets. Dark would be nice if you had white cabinets.

    mark617 thanked botis
  • 11 years ago
    I love the darker one on the left. But the other two "match" the cabinets really nicely. They are all great choices, so it's just a matter of personal style...which floor makes you feel happy?
    mark617 thanked lfrey333
  • 11 years ago
    Voting for darker...knowing full well you prob have already made a decision. The darker is more formal looking...the more grain you see the more rustic it looks. I think a more cohesive look will do best throughout the house as a backdrop for gorgeous rugs.
    mark617 thanked OldGrayMare
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    The dark one
    mark617 thanked Daniele Pannuto Architetto
  • 11 years ago

    Believe it or not, I have not made a final decision...I added another option, it is called cobblestone oak with a slight wire brush and 7.5 inch wide plank. It has more of a flat finish to it...the one on the right.


  • PRO
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Middle sample gets my vote. Middle one meaning in the first picture at the top of the email.

    mark617 thanked Vicki Saul
  • 11 years ago

    Would love to see the final pics.

    mark617 thanked 59theresa
  • 11 years ago

    @59theresa, I think I finally found my installer, and I am temporarily putting down two more boxes of wood tonight for final samples (I hope)...I am looking at a maple bronze and a maple smoke color...will post a couple of pics hopefully this evening of samples down...though the lighting is always a challenge. Stay tuned :)

  • 11 years ago

    Quick update...and yes, I am losing my mind over this. This is maple chestnut by Garrison...would love comments/advice/thoughts.




  • 11 years ago
    I like the middle one. Incooperates the hardware and the cabinet color. Yep, middle hands down. I'd not the middle, then the darkest.
    mark617 thanked Miranda Rose
  • 11 years ago

    Nice!

    mark617 thanked happyleg
  • 11 years ago
    I personally do not like floors that are darker than cabinets unless cabinets are white. Pick a color that is the same or lighter than cabinets b
    mark617 thanked Tess Wakefield
  • 11 years ago
    Middle
    mark617 thanked Karen Millar
  • 11 years ago
    I don't like the wooden panel it's an obstruction.
    mark617 thanked maryammodibbo
  • 11 years ago
    Lightest cobblestone oak gets my vote. Has just enough contrast with cabinets.
    mark617 thanked cparfc438
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Going back to your December 14 photos, my pick would be the saddle walnut. The newer oaks seem a little flat to me. While this is a wonderful forum, you are getting multiple differing opinions which is probably driving you up the wall; there is no clear winner? In the end, go with your gut, Mark!
    mark617 thanked Shaker Interiors
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    I am hoping to update with photos of this flooring in the kitchen tonight or tomorrow...but it looks like I might go with marble now throughout. Any input is appreciated


  • 11 years ago

    Not such a great photo...but an idea of what it will look like without grout...not much different than the existing tile, but has more grays and browns in it than the existing tile, which has more yellow/gold.... This will add consistent flooring at least and I can change the cabinet colors and counters down the road if I want to.

  • 11 years ago

    Mark, this looks beautiful, but are you aware that marble stains? You might want to look into the care of marble. I have dark marble in my living room and formal dining room. These are rooms that are not used often, but yet they have some kind of spots, like water spots, on them , that I have not been able to remove. I had a professional come out to see if they could be removed and he said no...They look beautiful until the sun is shining on them, and then you can see the spots...Just be aware..I do not know if my cleaning lady used something that caused the spots, but be sure to read about the maintenance of marble.

    mark617 thanked djswls
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    @djswls, does travertine present the same issues with staining?

  • 11 years ago

    Lovely & clean!

    mark617 thanked happyleg
  • 11 years ago

    Mark, I am not sure. I have been told that you have to seal travertine...

    mark617 thanked djswls
  • 11 years ago

    Hi again, Mark. It'sbeen a long time. They do make porcelain tile which looks almost like marble. Thatmight be the best choice.

    mark617 thanked Nancy Walton
  • 4 years ago

    i like the lighter one with your cabinets....because....well...just because I like it! very pretty!