Software
Houzz Logo Print
smythtracy

HELP - with getting kitchen island lights!

14 years ago
Looking for some advice on what kind of lights to hang over our kitchen island. We just got done doing some custom trim work and we are still waiting for our new island counter top. It will be a dark brown - Wellington by Cambria. (Quartz). I am at a loss as to what lights to put up?? 2 chandeliers? 3 pendants? What kind of pendants? Clear glass? Brushed nickel? You can see the trim work is dark with lots of details so wondering if I need to keep the island lights simple? Any help, pics, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

Comments (43)

  • PRO
    14 years ago
    I would suggest putting 3 pendant lights over the island, you have a lot of recessed lighting, so you're not short on light. Putting something more dramatic will help the space feel more inviting. Something similar to these:
    Luxury European Kitchen · More Info


    You have a lot of brushed nickel and stainless already, so I would compliment with a darker aged bronze on the light fixtures.
  • 14 years ago
    Thank you! I feel like it is so dark with all this wood. Just wondering if I should add some sparkle or bling? More like a crystal type of pendant or just clear glass to let the light sparkle off the glass?? Thoughts??
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    Definitely! Something like this would really add a lot of pizazz!
    Durham Chocolate and Cream Kitchen · More Info
  • 14 years ago
    Thanks so much! That article is helpful. I like the lights you picked out Gabberts - they might just be a little too dark from what I am thinking though. I am trying to attach a picture of some that I like too but not sure if it is working. /Users/tracysmyth/Desktop/366782_0-w240-h240-b0-p0--.jpg
  • 14 years ago
    Trying again..... These clear lights are what I was kind of thinking but not sure??
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    Hmm...I can't seem to open your picture. Try right clicking on the photo, and then it will ask you to open another window. Once it does, copy the url and paste on your next comment.
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    Those are pretty...but may be too large for your space. Something like this?:
    Urban Homestead · More Info
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    Or these with an aged bronze finish:
    Black & White · More Info
  • 14 years ago
    Thank you! I love the first ones!! I guess I am trying to stay away from too much iron work because the light that I have over the island now and the one that I had before both have black or bronzed iron so was trying to stay away from it. Just had too much dark up there and felt heavy. The first ones are nice and light - those could work. Plus, I think that maybe I have been swaying toward a more modern look for lights over the island so that my kitchen does not go in one whole traditional direction. Thanks again so much for your help!!!
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    You're welcome! Post pictures of the final product!
  • 14 years ago
    I will - thank you!! =)
  • 14 years ago
    With your beautifully detailed trim, I love the formality of the glass pleated shades on these pendants. http://www.carolinarustica.com/lighting/pendants/mini-pendants/minka-lavery-1730-series-mini-pendant-ml-1731-167
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    I like your choice michigammenom, but when I look at the second view of the room I wonder if all white would get lost against the white windows? How about these ones, they have some sparkle and some of the colour from the countertop (I think) and also reference the bronze. You can find it here on houzz at lumens.com

    Susan Mills
  • 14 years ago
    SO pretty ♥ I just love that picture!!!
  • 14 years ago
    oh Love this look Susan these light would look great with her cabinets and island. I agree with the aged bronze as well with the cabinets. So many people think that with stainless steel they need to go with Nichol but the warmth of aged bronze really compliments the cabinets and appliances. .
  • 14 years ago
    smythtracy what is your back splash I like it
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    I feel the island lights should be kept simple. Otherwise it might look too dark over there.

    http://mydecoreview.blogspot.co.uk
  • 14 years ago
    last modified: 14 years ago
    My favourite lighting website is www.shopcandelabra.com. I hate that they don't ship to Canada (I'm close to Toronto), but, I browse for ideas all the time. If you are going with 3 pendants, have you thought about amber glass or mercury glass? I picked out these 3 for you.

    http://www.shopcandelabra.com/arteriors-arianna-pendant-1.html

    http://www.shopcandelabra.com/currey-and-company-hudson-pendant.html

    http://www.shopcandelabra.com/jamie-young-co-long-lafitte-pendant-amber-glass.html

    If you don't change the electrical, you could save some cash and spurge on a great island light...

    http://www.shopcandelabra.com/global-views-coil-3-light-island-bronze.html

    Can't wait to see what you pick!
  • 14 years ago
    Thanks everyone! Cait - I love the first pendant light. Really different. Thank you Susan - I do like what you picked out. I just think that I am done with the amber glass colored iron ones. You can see from the 2nd picture that I have a big island fixture hanging over that is dark in the amber glass colored shades with the wrought iron. It is pretty big and heavy (spans almost 4') so maybe that is why I do not like it. Maybe pendants will not seem so dark and heavy? The total length of my island with the new counter top (when it gets here) will be about 133" (around 11'). I will be getting under cabinet lights installed soon also plus a light rail trim on bottom of the hanging cabinets to finish off the trim work. Michagemmemom - I love the shade pendant lights you picked out also, but not sure that I want such a formal look in the kitchen. Ugh, this is so hard! ha ha - I want sparkle, I want light and airy, I want modern but yet classic. Is that possible??? ha ha
  • 14 years ago
    Diann - our back splash is a tumbled marble. I am not sure what the name of it is. We purchased it from a local tile/granite place. It is the diamond pattern. =)
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    Hi again smythtracy, I understand all you are looking for with the lighting. I agree you need a bit of sparkle, and something light and airy, modern though? with classic, yes as long as it it has both. Not too modern more updated classic. If you look carefully at the light I chose it is modernized shape with some traditional features, it has many colours in the glass more iridescant than amber and with three of these singles over your bar it would have the right amount of light and not look heavy. These are the things to look for to narrow your search. I also looked at both views you sent of the kitchen, something with colour was needed for the view towards the windows and the sparkle was needed to the view towards the cabinets. Good luck and it's good that you are sure of what you want even if you haven't seen it yet.

    So many great websites to browse.

    http://www.feiss.com/
    http://www.seagulllighting.com/Indoor-Lighting.htm
    http://www.pacificcoastlighting.com/
    http://www.kichler.com/

    Susan Mills
  • 14 years ago
    Here's another thought. These mini chandeliers have the sparkle you desire and they are not much bigger than a standard pendant. They might be the jewelry you are looking for to complete your gracious kitchen. http://www.carolinarustica.com/lighting/chandeliers/small-chandeliers/hinkley-lighting-casa-3-light-mini-chandelier-hl-3503ol
  • 14 years ago
    last modified: 14 years ago
    Thanks smythtracy we have only lived in our house now almost 8 weeks and have not decided yet on back splash . Mine is more tuscany I have a 10 foot inland took whole slab of Granite. I also have only pendants they are bright so I have a dimmer switch on them as well as most everything. So nice at night .Ours is by Kichler we love them . love your kitchen by the way
  • 14 years ago
    Thank you Michigammemom. I have thought about doing 3 mini chandeliers too! Maybe that is the word I was looking for - Jewelry for my kitchen!!!! =) I do really like those hinkley ones you posted! Thanks for the compliments Diann on my kitchen. I do really really love the all white kitchens so when we moved into this house that was already built and kitchen already picked out, I was bummed to settle on this brandywine colored cabinets. Now that I have done some of the upgrading on the detail trim work, I do love the warmth of the stain. Just need to finish it already and decide on some island lights!!!! ha ha - Thanks susan for tips on the websites. I will be checking those out now. I love Murray Feiss. I have a few of his lights - all my outdoor lights, and powder room lights. Maybe I'll get lucky for pendants.
  • 14 years ago
    last modified: 14 years ago
    I like the one you already have! Maybe use clear bulbs or get new globes/shades. You could always paint the wrought iron if you wanted a different color as well. You could dry brush some acrylic silver paint to get the antiqued pewter look. You cabinets are beautiful. I especially love the twisted island legs.
  • 14 years ago
    good idea 7768 I like it too , clear bulbs would make a big difference Love the iron work on it as well.
  • 14 years ago
    These are lights I saw in one of the lighting stores by me. I fell in love. Going to see if I can paste the pic on here. I thought 3 of the small sized ones would be pretty but still not sure. http://www.Feiss.com/28780/Chandeliers-FS-F27421BUS.html#
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    Oh smythtracy I feel your pain, it's like wanting to wear our new chandelier earings but have to be careful the dress is up to it! IMO I think these are too dressy for this kitchen, they are best suited more sparkle all round. Take that as your cue though and find something not so evening gownish. Having said that though, this is your home and you should have what makes you happy.
  • 14 years ago
    I agree. I really love those, but probably not for my kitchen. =( I went into a lighting store today and had some good help from the designer. We have a few other options. Going to try to past them. Your thoughts would be great! Thanks!!! =) http://www.lightingdirect.com/quoizel-kd5003-transitional-three-light-up-lighting-mini-chandelier-from-the-kendra-collection/p835725?source=gba_835725

    http://www.bellacor.com/productdetail/minka-lavery-1233-580-accents-provence-patina-three-light-mini-chandelier-with-white-patina-g-618385.htm
  • 14 years ago
    smythtracy, I prefer the Minka Lavery white patina mini chandelier. It has an Old World elegance about it, and would blend nicely with your creamy granite and backsplash.
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    I agree with michigammemom on this choice for all the reasons she stated.
  • 14 years ago
    Thanks michigammemom and Susan. The minka lavery is the one I was leaning towards. I think I get a little of everything that I wanted. I am also thinking about possibly having a professional come in and paint (just my island) in a warm antique white to break up all of the brown wood. If I decide to do that down the road then these Minka mini chandeliers will still go nicely. Thanks so much for all of your help!
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    Oh that would look lovely, I have done this very successfully and if you have a warm glaze applied over it so that it works into the grooves and edges it would really add to it. Choose a glaze that is very reminiscent of the wood colour if you do.
  • 14 years ago
    Yes, that is exactly what I was thinking Susan. Thank you! Once I get the lights up, the new quartz island counter top on and the paint change I will post another pic. I'm excited to have a clear path now! =)
  • 14 years ago
    My new lights are up. Posting a few pics to show you. I love the way these turned out. I think this is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for all the help! =)
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    Looks good and so do those happy little boys!
  • 14 years ago
    Exquisite smythtracy! The mini chandeliers are delicate and elegant.
  • 14 years ago
    oh my so happy you posted your new lights for us all to admire. Truly are perfect looking love them and your little boys they look so happy and show your kitchen off beautifully they sparkle just as beautiful as your new lights do. Awesome thanks for sharing
  • 14 years ago
    smythtracy, what color and type of hardwood floor is in your kitchen? I think your kitchen is beautiful. Good Job!
  • 14 years ago
    Vjs12 - thank you!! This floor was in the house when we moved in. So I am not exactly sure what type it is. It is a high gloss finish dark cherry wood color. I am pretty sure they are oak stained in a cherry. I do like them....but did consider changing them to a wide plank floor someday and I love the look of the high gloss when it is cleaned, but with 3 kids it tends to show every little mark. Would rather have a wide plank that is more rustic or beat up. Thanks for the compliments on the kitchen. I am still waiting for my island counter top to come in. Very upsetting!! =(
  • 11 years ago
    How do I find the article on over counter lighting?