Software
Houzz Logo Print
lokilo

Landscaping help!!! Small patio and driveway

14 years ago
last modified: 14 years ago
First off, since I'm not seeing a "landscaping" section in "Ask the Community," not sure this will get any responses. But here it goes...

For the past several years, I've struggled with a small patio, walkway, driveway outside my very small old New England house (ie. "cottage.") I've attached pics below. Here are the issues:

1. the patio area (actually, the whole garden) is very small. Patio itself accomodates two chairs, maybe a third, if it's small. Gets walked on a lot when gardening. I used to have flagstones there, with the vision of thyme or something growing in between. Total failure.

2. Last year, I ripped everything up, including the ugly broken up cement walkway. Transfered the flagstones from the patio to the walkway. Created two tire tracks from recycled cobblestones. The vision: no grass, but creeping thyme, irish moss (not real moss), etc. growing everywhere, including the patio, so that it would be "soft underfoot"

3. Aside from the plants growing in between the flagstones, and lots of weeds growing in between the two cobblestones tracks, it's been a total failure.

4. Just last week, I've re-dug up the ground in the patio and between the cobblestones, amended, added humus, etc... with the hope that this year, the plants will take.

Before I add more plants, and spend more $$$, I thought to ask the community here.

My questions:

Given the fact that the patio, when used, is small and gets a lot of foot traffic, am I just beating a dead horse trying to get something to grow there? (The ground does feel very tough, even with all the amendments.)

Should I just go for pebbles or flagstones and call it a day? (I disliked the flagstones before b/c they were uneven and the chairs were always rocking).

Same with area between tire tracks. Should I just put pebbles and call it a day? (I dislike the idea of pebbles in driveway b/c I live in the northeast, ie. winter, snow, shoveling, etc.). And I don't want to deal with grass.

Thank

Comments (7)

  • 14 years ago
    last modified: 14 years ago
    I love how lush everything looks in your garden. very beautiful!

    On the dilemma at hand, there's nothing wrong with pebbles but they do a job on heels (if you wear them). You might want to check out a nice paver stone like arcadia from oaks. They aren't too pricey and you wouldn't need too much to get the job done. I'm in Canada and they run $6.25 a sq/ft. I'd get them professionally installed but that's because it would be a total hack job if I did it myself. :) Plus they would make sure it's properly supported and held together (the compound looks like sand) so you don't have to deal with weeds or an uneven surface.
  • 14 years ago
    Thanks! That first pic was from several years ago. The second one is from today. The growing season just started, so we'll see what survived :) I am slowly coming to the realization that the patio with the foot traffic and eventual compacted soil is not a good candidate for soft fuzzy groundcover... :( Funny how we can be bullish in our visions. :/
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    Hey there -

    The pavers are a nice solution but I don't think your vision is wrong - in fact, I think you've keyed in consistently with a Cottage garden vision. It may be an implementation issue. for instance, the irregular cut stone patio is a great idea - to avoid wobbling stones, they should be at least 18" x 24" in size and have at least a 1" thickness. I would go with even bigger stones than that. Set the patio in sand to level the stones. Make your gaps between the stones around 1"-3" to allow for the plantings. And a smoother finished Connecticut bluestone could work.

    As for planting in between, they will need consistent watering to get established. Creeping thyme is a great idea because it can take a beating and handle dry spells. But the first year of watering is really important. Put new soil in between the stones. Groundcover doesn't need much soil (an inch is enough) to grow, so the new soil will provide the right environment.

    As for the driveway, well, that's perhaps where you should 'call it a day'. I've designed this many times and you invariably drive over the groundcover. Its just not that resilient...
  • 14 years ago
    Thanks a lot for this feedback! Watering was definitely an issue: the soaker hose would get the raised beds, and I'd quickly water the patio, but maybe a bit too quickly! So this was definitely and issue. This year, I buried the soaker hose under that patio ground, so maybe this will help keep my hand watering habits in check...
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    I was just going to say the same thing. There is 1/4" soaker hose that you can bury or a product called Netafim, an inline irrigation. Makes a huge difference, especially in the first season when things get hot.

    In my own garden it took me a while to get the Creeping thyme established and it turned out it was all watering. By the second season I couldn't kill the thyme if I wanted to!!!
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    I have a personal favourite that I have used successfully for foot traffic. It's called Isotoma fluviatilis 'Blue Star Creeper'. Also called Pratia penduculata. It has pretty little blue or white flowers for most of the growing season. I have grown it in full sun and part shade. It's often used as a lawn substitute and grown in between flagstones like thyme. You can see examples of how I've used it on my listing under Traditional perennial project. Here's a link for more info.

    http://www.ehow.com/video_4950005_grow-blue-star-creeper-pratia.html

    I hope this helps!

    Glenna
  • 13 years ago
    Cobblestone would be nice, but we work on alot of yards and weeds still creep up in between. Mazus reptan could work. Pea Gravel another option but a pain to walk on. Weeding is much easier however. Good luck. Nice little spot to enjoy a cup of tea and chat.