Software
Houzz Logo Print
gale4

Need help with living room furniture placement

14 years ago
We have a new house and this is the plan showing the living room.As you can see we have hallways on both sides that become a part of living room.
The size of the total space is 19 ft(side with fireplace) x 17 ft. the fireplace is 7ft wide ..all stone extending till the 9ft ceiling...with tray..10ft.Built -ins on both side of the fireplace.

I have a 9ft couch with a 6ft love seat and a 3ft chair.Also 3-4 options of accent chairs.

How would you place the furniture.I want the room to look inviting...so am wondering if the back of the couch or love seat from the foyer will look ok if I place them in front of firplace with maybe 2 chairs against the wall opposite to fireplace...need advise..thanks!

Comments (10)

  • 14 years ago
    no one ?..sigh...
  • 14 years ago
    last modified: 14 years ago
    Comments on discussion boards often die down over the weekend. Don't despair. Once Monday rolls around, bump your question back up to the top, and I bet you'll get a good number of replies. Also, consider adding a photo or two of the space if you can. I think that will get people's ideas flowing even more.

    I wouldn't put the couch or love seat with its back to the fireplace, but you can do two chairs with their backs to it and a table in between them. The fireplace then feels still available to the rest of the room. You could L-shape the couch and love seat (a side table would fill in the corner between them) with the love seat's back toward the back hallway, that way no furniture backs point toward the foyer. It's welcoming, and you still get to use your furniture in the room. I wouldn't care as much about the back hallway.

    Have you tried cutting out some to-scale paper rectangles and squares to represent your furniture and moving the shapes around on the floorplan? I recommend doing that. Good luck.
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    AMN , Is right , its the weekend , in the meantime add a few shots .
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    Give us a better layout showing all opening and relation to other rooms and we will draw you the best layout.
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    last modified: 14 years ago
    With so many doorways and openings I'm afraid there is really no room for the 6 foot loveseat to be placed in this living room and have enough circulation space to walk around.

    I am also concerned that the tray ceiling isn't centered with the fireplace or the room.
  • 14 years ago
    Could we mask the fact that the tray ceiling is not centered with fireplace by placing furniture on angles? Placing the sofa (or the smaller loveseat) in the far "corner" angled to face the foyer?
  • 14 years ago
    my suggestion would be the sofa facing the fireplace, the love seat facing the foyer by the wall with the door next to the sofa, and put one chair by the fireplace on the foyer side. try to create an outer square as a walk able path in that space. unfortunately the sofa, love seat, and 2 chairs won't all fit in that space, but to maximize your seating that's what I would do. I would also have a circular coffee table in that space to create an open welcoming feel.
  • 14 years ago
    Thanks for all the suggestions..I was also thinking of angling some pieces for a better flow in the room.

    Another thought is to anchor the sofa against the wall facing the fireplace,the loveseat facing the foyer with 2 chairs facing it..so that we have 2 sitting areas...
    Unfortunately ,Cannot post any pictures at the time,as everything is a work in progress..the fireplace,floors,walls etc...

    Will keep you posted as the work progresses..thanks !
  • 13 years ago
    This is what the living room looks like now...still some tweaking to be done..
  • 13 years ago
    oops..posted the fireplace twice..