Software
Houzz Logo Print
kellygreen28

New Home! Need Help with color choices for Great room and Kitchen!

14 years ago
last modified: 14 years ago
Just bought a new home. The pictures I have are those that I took when we looked at the house before putting an offer in. The color scheme the sellers have make the rooms look very cold. The floor throughout the Great Room and Kitchen is slate tile floor. The kitchen is done in all black, white, and grey marble counters.

This is my problem- I want to warm up the rooms but don't know what color to choose. I was thinking of a light sage with an accent color. Not sure how that would look in the kitchen since I plan on using the same color throughout both kitchen and great room.

Any help would be appreciated!

Comments (35)

  • 14 years ago
    Sage is a lovely and popular decorating color. Just change the seat covers on your bar stools.
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    Sage is a great color and works well with some warm neutrals.
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    I think that sage green is a wonderful color that I would like to use in a smaller area of your home. For a great room and kitchen combination, I would prefer a more neutral color. And since it needs to go with the black, white and gray of the kitchen, I believe I'd select a nice taupe such as Sherwin-Williams SW6106 Kilim Beige. That's because taupe is a mix of tan and gray that will create a lovely warm atmosphere while at the same time living happily with the gray in the kitchen.
  • 14 years ago
    HI -- Any warm color would work like what Carolyn gave you . One thing I like to do is for your vaulted ceiling living room is to paint the whole room , ceiling and walls . I like the feeling of being wrapped in the color and seeing no division between ceiling and walls. In the kitchen you could do the same thing or use a warm or blue tint white on the ceiling. Looks like a great house.
  • 14 years ago
    last modified: 14 years ago
    HI Carolyn , you and I are on the same wave length a lot , I also like doing walls and ceilings the same for small bathrooms and always do it for basements so the ceilings don't make the space feel short . What's your take on it ? I enjoy your input . Thanks - Lynda
  • 14 years ago
    HI - kellygreen28 -- Was just looking at the living room again and I think you need to find a large amazing chandalier to replace the ceiling fan that's there .
  • 14 years ago
    http://www.colorcombos.com/color-schemes/61/ColorCombo61-with-colors-C0C0C0-FFFFFF-999966
    This is white, gray, and green palette.
    As much as I love a neutral green, I'd paint a warm gray (yellow undertones) with accents of green. I think gray would work pleasantly with the existing black and whites in the kitchen as well as the stair case.
    Sage green would be a stronger, livelier contrast to the existing hard surfaces so it comes down to what you'd like to live with.
    You have a gorgeous space. No matter what you decide, I think it will be beautiful.
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    last modified: 14 years ago
    Why not add warmth with
    Morning sunshine By B.Moore
    2018-50
    As energizing as the first rays of early morning sun, this creamy orange-yellow captures the cheerful exuberance of a summer
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    Taupe shades are the safest bet as suggested by Carolyn as they go with almost everything , but Dare to be Different , its your House , and if you end up not liking it , then Long time for Christmas , you have time to Repaint it .
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    Hi Lefty, painting ceilings the same color as walls (except for very dark colors) just makes sense to me, making for a more cohesive look. And when there's crown moulding, it's wonderful how the crown really stands out beautifully and doesn't just get lost against a white ceiling. I'm glad you're on the same page!
  • 14 years ago
    It depends on what colour your slate tiles are. If they are pure grey or if the have some beige in them. Warm beige will clash with white. Lemon yellow will warm things up but will match white and black well. But lemon yellow is a pale yellow. By lemon, I mean pastel. Pastels are the colours that go well with PURE black and white. You might not want to do that, but. PS, congrats on the nice house.
  • 14 years ago
    What is the orientation of the great room and kitchen? Check out Farrow & Ball's site on choosing colors. They had some great tips I followed for an East-facing bedroom and it was spot on. If you don't know the orientation, pull your house up on Google maps and look at the little compass. That's what I did.

    I just read an article about colors and it looks like people prefer gray (I love Apparition or Silver Chain) or off-white for living rooms these days. I have a west facing living / kitchen combo and have Ben Moore Berkshire Beige on the walls and it's lovely. It looks good with my white cabinets. Please excuse the messy photo - was still unpacking and haven't figured out the furniture yet. The next room over (can't see) is Monroe Bisque which is also a very lovely Ben Moore color. Good luck!
  • 14 years ago
    I think a taupe, tan or a grey would be great in this space. Sage is a wonderful color but it might be too much for this large space.
  • 14 years ago
    We just just did a very large family room in Kingsport Grey from Benjamin Moore....love it, and so does everyone who walks in our home. It is a grey to some and beige to others. Your rooms look large enough to handle this great colour
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    No one has mentioned it so I may be in Left field here but the last time my wife an I could not agree on colors we used Kilem Beige by SW with white trim and picked one wall for an accent color. The agreement was if the accent color worked well we would add another wall or two if not the Beige would stay. We have stayed with only one accent wall but have had fun changing them up every once in a while. The great thing about paint is it is the cheapest way to decorate.
  • 14 years ago
    Beautiful home! You mentioned sage and I think it's a wise choice. I suggest painting the kitchen a pale color, the walls in the great room a medium color, and the soaring ceiling a color 2-3 shades darker than that of the walls in the GR. I'll give you 3 color charts which I think would work well for your home and all can be intermixed. Sherwin Williams Color Charts 23, 24, and 25 (numbers 6154-6174). Sorry to disagree with those who posted earlier in regards to the ceiling and walls being the same color. I do agree however, to adding crown molding-it would look really nice. Here's a link for painted ceilings: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&sugexp=les%3B&cp=16&gs_id=1q&xhr=t&q=painted+ceilings&biw=1093&bih=451&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&wrapid=tljp1346592991819030&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=2WBDUMKtMs2LrQG584DoCg

    Have fun and keep us posted...
    Good Luck!
    ~Natalie
  • 14 years ago
    Find a pillow case, scarf, napkin, blouse, etc., that has a color combo that you love (it doesn't matter what the pattern is). This can be your whole house color palette. If you keep your color choices in line with what is found in the inspiration piece, the whole house will look 'put together' in a smooth & cohesive way.
  • 14 years ago
    When picking out colors for my house, I narrow it down to 4 or 5 choices , tape them to the wall & ask the hubby to either pick the Yes or to remove the No colors. This way I get what I like & he feels like he had a say in what our house looks like.
  • 14 years ago
    Warm greys, taupe, include cathedral ceiling, yes. Sage and beige , booooring! Invest in a few beams in the cathedral ceiling if it is within your budget.
  • 14 years ago
    I would print out a photo of your rooms on plain paper and place paint chips on them to try to visualize the colors before painting them, or color the walls with a marker, crayon to try to do a mock up (decorators have software) If you have photoshop, you can choose colors in that program and change the wall colors.

    I really like antique white on walls personally and then add color with the drapes, pillows, photography to give a pop of color. In the kitchen, I like darker colors with the white cabitets like a medium brown or fairly dark blue. They really make the white cabinets a wow factor instead of a blah, ho hum. I used to flip houses. Sage is great if you really like it ( I am not a fan; but, I won't be living there; and that is what it is all about - you will be)

    Bottom line you have to like the color. Another thing to consider is, how long will you be staying in the home. You don't want to paint a color that someone you are selling it to will not like or their furnishings might not go with.
  • 14 years ago
    What a magnificent home. Taupe is an excellent neutral which will give it a warm feeling, and you can bring in splashes of colour in accessories and soft furnishings which will not tie you down in the long run. I love the sage green but think it will be way too much in such a large space. Have fun and post pics of your final choice.
  • 14 years ago
    Forgot to mention, I painted A3 pieces of white cardboard with my colour selection and taped them to the wall with masking tape, moving them around the room at different times of day to see how the light changed the colours. This helped me decide on which shade worked best in the space throughout the day.
  • 14 years ago
    Check out SW 6205- Comfort Gray - it's a blue/green/gray - we have our great room, dining room and kitchen which are all open to one another painted this color. We love it. It's a little darker than Restoration Hardware's Silver Sage. It does look different at different times of the day. Very "comfortable".
  • 14 years ago
    Sage green would be a great color for walls and ceiling! I actually love Sherwin William's Jersey Cream--the palest yellow...looks great in any room. (especially w/white crown moulding or white cabinets) It makes the color POP! If I had one color only--I'd pick Jersey Cream, hands down...and what is pretty rare--my husband sez the same!
  • 14 years ago
    A warm Taupe is a great choice! I love how it changes slightly depending on the time of day. Great bargain getting different shades of colour for the price of one. lol

    Something that has been on my mind since looking at your pix is the curtains. White or off white shutters would work wonderfully on both doors and windows below the divide.

    Also painting ceilings and walls the same colour is a great idea. I used to manage a paint store and I always tried to suggest that.
  • 14 years ago
    I had a very similar situation with my home - 2 story ceilings, everything in white/cold shades. I simply put tongue and groove cypress on the vaulted ceiling - it warmed it up and gave a very dramatic look.
    Painted the walls a deep yellow/gold - with wood floors
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    kellygreen28, I have read all the input, and since the photos show how someone else decorated, what is your furniture like and what are your favorite colors? Natalie had a great suggestion - to make the ceiling darker than the walls. I think that is really good advice, it will help visually bring the ceilling down to a more human scale. I love the Benjamin Moore Historic Color Greens, HC-115 through 126. They are rich and beautiful. I have used Georgian green, Sherwood green, and van alen green in design projects and they really last because they are easy to live with.
  • 14 years ago
    I have never thought about painting a the ceiling a darker color... or anything other than white actually. I checked out the website of painted ceilings but didn't see any rooms similar to mine. Most of them had flat ceilings. I am pretty sure of doing a green in the kitchen and a tan color in the great room. The lighting is really wierd so all the colors I've put up look different on each of the walls. I plan on getting a storage bench built into the bay window and having the padded seat cover tie in the colors of both the kitchen and great room. My furniture is mostly traditional - I'll probably be getting a new couch and placing a very nice Pottery Barn rug in the Great Room to help warm up the space.
  • 14 years ago
    I have never thought about painting a the ceiling a darker color... or anything other than white actually. I checked out the website of painted ceilings but didn't see any rooms similar to mine. Most of them had flat ceilings. I am pretty sure of doing a green in the kitchen and a tan color in the great room. The lighting is really wierd so all the colors I've put up look different on each of the walls. I plan on getting a storage bench built into the bay window and having the padded seat cover tie in the colors of both the kitchen and great room. My furniture is mostly traditional - I'll probably be getting a new couch and placing a very nice Pottery Barn rug in the Great Room to help warm up the space.
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    last modified: 14 years ago
    And I have never considered painting a ceiling a different color from the walls unless the walls are a really dark color, or there are other VERY unusual circumstances.
    Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    Hi Kellygreen! Looks like you got some pretty great advice here- particularly from Carolyn. I would advise away from sage green as you have lots of wall area. The green isn't quite as neutral and you end up 'stuck' with it. Going with a taupe/gray would go really well with the slate & kitchen counters/tile- and you can add all kinds of details in accent colors that will make the room come alive - artwork, pillows, mirrors, rugs, etc. That way, even if you get tired of the accent color, you can easily change things up by throwing a few new pillows in the room- or even painting a piece of furniture. Good luck and I look forward to seeing the results!
    Brenda
  • 14 years ago
    I would leave the walls and use sage sheers in the great room, the bar stools, wall hangings etc... Its more crisp feeling, yet the curtains etc will serve to warm it up.
  • 14 years ago
    We have a similar open layout with large windows. Our designer used Whispering Wheat by Glidden: http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://st.houzz.com/simages/270965_0_4-1586--paints-stains-and-glazes.jpg&imgrefurl=https://www.houzz.com/products/whispering-wheat-by-glidden-gln28-prvw-vr~270965 .

    I typically don't like neutral colors, but I'm in love with this paint: it looks great in any lighting, as do the pops of color from the decor. I agree with the suggestions to paint ceilings, especially if you have (or plan to add) some great crown molding. We white tinted with 10% of the wall color.
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    I think Benjamin Moore Palliadian Blue HC-144 is a wonderful color in the Sage-ish family. It will work well with the white trim and dark bannister on the trim. http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/palladianblue
    You might consider tiling the kitchen back-splash with a colorful mosaic. Orange makes a great accent color in this scheme.
Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz