Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
llemay

Need design ideas - have an ugly, too narrow cement sidewalk

llemay
11 years ago
last modified: 11 years ago
Hello Houzz Community,

We bought a new house this winter, and while it has some lovely features, this side of the house is not one of them.
I think the biggest problems are that the cement sidewalk is too narrow and therefore out of scale with the house, and also, it's right up against the side of the house, which just looks plain 'ol bad.

As we have many projects to do, and of course we have a budget, I was hoping to find a solution which does not involve the expense of removing the sidewalk.

Some ideas I have include 'rock-scaping' over the sidewalk right up to the siding, then planting on the yard side of those rocks - rockery type idea. Then putting in a meandering path with some stairs further away from the house, keeping the path fairly natural looking (think steping stones with rocks used as steps in small clusters where necessary to handle the slope).

The stairs at the top pretty much have to stay as the rockery beside is lovely and I don't want to try and move those rocks, so I was thinking the new path could meander away from the house at the bottom of those stairs. Also, we will likely replace the siding at some point in the future and will coordinate that project with the installation of larger and more traditional style of widows (double-hung in sets of 3 likely....). With the new siding, we also have the opportunity to break up this large wall with different siding (ship lap below & horizonal above is one idea... ) but for now it's walk that I want to deal with.

I should note that this path to the back of the house is used infrequently so I have the luxury of keeping asthetics as priority 1. This is the side of the house seen from our driveway (front door is to the left when looking up the hill).

Thanks in advance for your ideas!

Comments (11)

• larryhinkle
    11 years ago
    The slope looks like it would be too steep for your gravel idea. Rather than worry about the sidewalk, since its rarely used, why not focus on landscaping and tie the rest of the slope into the landing. And istead of just a linear strip you could use the slope and do a 2 or 3 tiers. Landscaping will make the sidewalk vanish
  • llemay
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Interesting ideas... if I do 2 or 3 tiers (& I'm assuming you mean across the slope) how do I tie in the sidewalk since it's not tiered? A small retaining wall? Also, not sure what you're referring to as the 'landing'; the driveway above the existing stairs, or the start of the sloped sidewalk at the bottom of the stairs, or other?

I wasn't planning to use gravel in my idea. By 'rockscaping' I was thinking more along the lines of large rocks like those that are already in place to the right of the stairs (when looking uphill). Rocks of this size covering the existing sidewalk would also hide the unattractive cement sections below the siding.

Thanks. Keeep the ideas coming.
  • llemay
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Dytecture, I agree completely. As I stated in my post, one of the biggest problems is that the sidewalk is right up against the house. I actually have the pic you posted in my ideabook.

The question is can this look be accomplished without first removing the existing sidewalk.

What drawbacks are there to just landsaping over the existing walkway? If we place large rocks over the existing walk to essentially create a rockery between the house and the new walk/stairs (something like the attached picture, but with somewhat smaller rocks
    Wood and Stone Steps · More Info
    ) , would there be any concern with stability, soil retention etc. given that the existing walk would be underneath? Would plants do OK with the cement beneath the top soil?

Thanks.
  • PRO
    Mint Design
    11 years ago
    Do the rockery and hide irrigated pots in the rocks. When you redo the siding and windows copy the beautiful picture from your ideabook. :)
  • PRO
    K.O.H. Construction Corporation
    11 years ago
    You have a good idea. The sidewalk will support the dirt and rocks. The planting would be subjected to the freeze thaw cycle because they're not below grade which is harmful. The transition from the steps to the new pathway is challenging. How would it connect at the bottom of the walk. I would want to cover or hide the foundation lines. This is a lot of work and the design has to be spot on. Have you got an estimate for removing the sidewalk. A lot of the times it's better to start witha fresh slate. Good luck to you and we would love to see the after pics.
  • llemay
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thanks K.OH. It's good to know that we COULD landscape over the sidewalk. We may still look into removal (what's a week of sledge hammering and jack hammering out of our lives.. HAHAHA) as I agree that a clean slate is preferrable. Nice to know what our options are. We may just remove some of the cement near the bottom of the stairs to ease the transition. Will post any progress that we make, but if you or anyone has further suggestions on the 'bury the sidewalk' approach, I'd love to hear them.

Thanks for your time.
  • larryhinkle
    11 years ago
    how does that area drain? is the sidewalk a small stream during heavy rains?
  • llemay
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Drains really well. Roof has a larger overhang (see photo looking uphill), there are large trees near by that provide some rain cover, and the grass area drains well. Also the weather in our neighbouhood comes at us from the back (downhill) side of the house, off the ocean. Were you thinking of erosion problems with the cement beneath?
  • rendancechick
    7 years ago

My parents just removed the ugly ole sidewalk from the front and only spent 300 having it broken and hauled off. I think it is worth looking into. Sunset magazine has a great landscaping with stone book. I heartily recommend it.

• Roblox 4life
    last year

Add a reel or some box along the path or both. Or some brick along the side of walkway would extend the width.