Software
Houzz Logo Print
oojeanie

Need TV and sofa ideas

14 years ago
I need new sofas and now the TV is broken too. I would like to stay with and earthy look since my house is near the forest preserves, however it is a brick Georgian with some traditional furniture too. I would like brown leather sofas. The new TVs are rectangular and won't fit as well as what I had in the armoire. The kids would like a big screen. Should I get a flat panel and put it in the armoir? Should I keep the armoir and get a stand to coordinate so I have something on either side of the fireplace? Should I start all over and get rid of the pine armoir, cofee and endtable? Thanks for any ideas!

Comments (24)

  • 14 years ago
    If you redo your room entirely I would at least keep the armoir and use it for storage somewhere in the house. Taking out the tv essentials and adding shelves allow it to be used in the dining room or bathroom as well as any other room for storage. You could paint it also for a different look. A large painting or mirror would look nice on the fireplace if you don't put a flat screen there. Whatever you do make sure your area rug and furniture all have the same feel to them. It looks like right now you have a modern sofa set, a traditional or formal chair and ottoman and a country armoir. Good luck.
  • 14 years ago
    last modified: 14 years ago
    HI -- Yes, get a flat screen (measure please ) and NO to the armiore.None of the new TV"s will fit the cabinet . Use it somewhere else for storage or sell ,which is what everyone has done , me too ! I would hang the NEW TV on the wall where it is now( get swing arm bracket) and have a console under for your comps and movies etc. Have another cabinet with painting above and a lamp on other side of fireplace for balance. If you get new side and coffee tables don't match set them , have the side tables same or same color and have another look for the coffee table . Or have a large upholsterd ottoman/coffee table to put your feet up for watching that new TV. When you are getting the TV DON"T be talked into geting the stand that goes with it , you won't like it I am sure . Ugly dust collectors ! And also hang the small art togeher and don't step them , really not done anymore . You might want to put up some drapes for sound and light control and it will look nice too. Find a large item for the fireplace , like maybe a big round mirror or something interesting. Wow ,I love that rug ,it has your accent colors in it !
  • 14 years ago
    If you have the budget, I'd be looking to do a wonderful built-in on either side of that FP in wood that matches your mantel and trim. Use one side for the TV installation and the other for a computer, plus shelves for books and decor, doored bottoms for things you'd rather have out of sight. Keep your wonderful rug, and match a new brown sectional to it. Sell the armoire, coffee and end table and replace the tables. Try a round glass topped coffee with a rustic/woodsy base - maybe a tree trunk or something foresty. End tables can be wood, but rustic. Take the cranberry and blue from the rug to window treatments and accessories.
  • 14 years ago
    I need to paint, also, so the wall color can be changed. If I put 2 new pieces on either side of the fire place would they be angled or against the wall? What about the TV angle?
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    Some great Ideas! I also think having build-ins on each side of the fireplace would really enhance your space and would give you a lot of extra storage as well as a great area to display fun accessories. However, with your floor plan I think the TV would best be mounted over the fireplace in the center of the room because on either side you will be fighting with a little glare from the windows or doors. Also, this would give a good balance to your room. Notice how the picture I uploaded looks so heavy on the left side and how you are seeing a glare in the TV?

    Other than that I think brown sofas would look great, I think the coffee and end table should be updated, and I think you should do something more neutral on the walls and bring color in with accessories (if you change your rug, I think you could put a little color on the walls). I think the rug you have can work but I do think the color palette is a little limiting because of the way it looks with that stone fireplace. There is something about it that doesn’t fit to me… I think a lighter rug would really help to break up the darker floor and brown sofas that you are going to be getting. Take a look at some of these!
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    Here are some more rug ideas...
  • 14 years ago
    Take out the armoire. Use it another room or sell it. Put built-ins flush to the wall on either side of the fireplace.

    The television should be at eye level when you are sitting down. Over the fireplace is usually too high unless you get a tilting mounting bracket. Heat from the fireplace might be a problem for the television.

    I would mount a flat screen television on a swivel arm so that it is at eye level when you are sitting down. Make sure you get the kind of arm that allows you to adjust the angle up-down and side-to-side. Have the swivel arm assembly and television "fold into" the built-in with a cabinet door so that it is hidden when not in use. Make the built-ins have symmetrical cabinets and shelving. You can put large "earthy" art on the cabinet doors to disguise them.

    Can the rug be moved to a different room? The pattern in the rug fights with the variegated brick masonry of the fireplace.

    Put the traditional furniture and accessories in other rooms of your Georgian home, and have this space echo the forest preserve. What views do you have out of the window and doors? Can you introduce one of those colors into this room to be complimentary to both the variegated brick and the brown leather you desire for the couches? Look for a rug that will accomplish this.

    Best wishes.
  • 14 years ago
    I agree that built ins are the best idea with the TV on a swivel bracket. TVs mounted over the fireplace have become common but give me a neck ache. I like the arrangement that Maron sent. Remember tha brick can be painted, too.
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    Ikea offers a Hemnes dresser in a gray-brown finish that could be nice on both sides of the fireplace. Both would offer storage, and one could have the TV on top. Over the other, I'd place a large piece of art, or a pair of large pictures. These dressers are43 1/4 wide x 20 1/8 deep x 38 1/4" high so they look like they would fit. At $149 each, they'd be far less costly than a built-in (which I would prefer but realize may not be possible), and could be used in a bedroom later.

    If you have too much space on each side of the FP, they could appear too small. Please let us know how many inches of space you have on each side.
  • 14 years ago
    Since the houzzers are advocating to remove the armoire, I'd like to suggest you repurpose it as a bar or actual armoire for clothes.
  • 14 years ago
    HI - oojeanie -- Never angle furniture into corners - kind of old fashioned thing to do . If the TV is on a swing arm bracket you won't have to angle.
  • 14 years ago
    don't forget window treatment. find something simple. and also pillows, trows to 'soft' your space.
  • 14 years ago
    lefty, why is angling furniture old-fashioned? I'm old-fashioned so don't care, but I'd like to understand.
  • 14 years ago
    This room reminded me of yours, and some good possibilities.
    Jane Lockhart Interior Design, Kylemore Model Home "Dublin" · More Info
  • 14 years ago
    Hello! Take a look at colors SW 6078 Realist Beige and 6085 Simplify Beige for walls and ceiling-yes wrap the color all the way around-if too much for ceiling go one hue lighter 6077 0r 6084. I too am in favor of the built-ins... Also, have you considered a sectional instead of two sofas? I think it would look wonderful. The rug has a rather busy pattern, something more subdued would work better with the mood you are trying to convey. Good Luck~Natalie
  • 14 years ago
    even with all the windows and french doors the room seems dark. if you want brown leather sofas, i'd go with some lighter colored window treatments - maybe a shade that matches something in your rug. i think the floating shelves someone posted look just as nice as the built-ins b/c you have that nice angled ceiling. i always think the pair of sofas with an ottoman between (at then end) is nice - especially if you have kids. maybe pick a fun color for the ottoman - red button leather? - to go with some colors in your rug and add a pop of color. i'd ditch the maple coffee and end tables. put the tv above the fireplace behind a giant framed picture. take it down when you want to watch the tv, put it back up when you have company. it's a beautiful room to work with!
  • 14 years ago
    last modified: 14 years ago
    coffee table and end table ideas for this room. this rug texture would be nice in this room as well. not saying you would have to stay with this color. You can add color with your rug choice, lamps and throw pillows on the couches.
    oops didn't get the rug pic in...
  • 14 years ago
    rug texture i was talking about....not necessarily this color
  • 14 years ago
    I think a warm earthy yellow would enliven the room and give it the feel you are after.
  • 14 years ago
    last modified: 14 years ago
    Wow! I didn't expect so many great suggestions. I really appreciate your help. I should have given some more details.
    * First, I have 4 kids so the TV is on often. I don't entertain much.
    * The kids have video systems and we need room for the large cable box and (DVD player???) I like covered storage for all their stuff.
    *The fireplace has a vent above it so the TV would be mounted very high and we would definately be looking up if we put it there.
    * The space on each side of the fireplace measures 53" each.
    * I am wondering if a sectional would be too modern for the room. I like kind of a resort lodge type look. Also, if I did a sectional I wouldn't have the table for a lamp. A table on the side of the sectional near the fireplace would be very busy near shelving, wouldn't it?
    * Any idea how much built-ins would cost?
  • 14 years ago
    If you use the TV often then I would go for a big flat panel and put it on a stand...or maybe you could find an armoir that is built in a way that suits flatscreens better. I think that dark cherry or expresso toned wood would be lovely. Brown suede furniture would be nice...maybe a sectional sofa-it would be so useful for 4 kids who love to watch TV. Also, I would consider painting the room in a soft sage or maybe a light tan-I think it would add a nice warmth to the room. Some bookcases on either side of the fireplace would be lovely, and built in would be amazing if affordable.
  • 14 years ago
    Do you actually use the fireplace? Could you put a television screen there? Just an idea...

    Built-in bookcases will probably be more expensive than individual ones (tall and skinny placed side-by-side and bolted together and to the wall, two short ones placed on top of each other and secured to each other and to the wall) etc.

    Oh! I just remembered that you could check with the high school shop teacher, and/or a nearby community college, and/or a nearby technical-vocational school. You may find that you can get your bookcases built by students under supervision, and they might also make your rustic furniture.

    Check online or in magazines and books for the "resort lodge look" you desire. Choose at least a dozen, print them out, and write down what drew you to the picture, what details you like, which details are not your favorite, and so on. This exercise is a good one for you to refine your desires, and will be of great help when you are communicating your ideas to your builders.
  • 14 years ago
    last modified: 14 years ago
    You could put a sofa table behind the sectional and top with a pair of lamps. Tuck a couple of seat/storage cubes underneath and it could double as a desk or snack area, plus some additional seating... Good Luck!

    [houzz=
    Entry · More Info
    ]

    [houzz=
    Lake Michigan Retreat · More Info
    ]