Software
Houzz Logo Print
shamrockgal_gw

My first rose

19 years ago

I am about to purchase my first rose in honor of our beloved 16 year kitty who died of heart failure two months ago.

We would appreciaate any suggestions for a hardy tea rose (we want fairly long stems ) suitable for cutting (not necessarily a Floribunda) to bring in the house as a beautiful reminder of the loving, special relationship we enjoyed. We would like to have a very fragrant, DISEASE RESISTANT rose that would do well in our zone 8A. We do not have a truly protected area and often have high winds in winter. I know, who doesn't in WA? Please help me find a rose in the pinks,rose,mauve,or lavender, if possible.

Comments (4)

  • 19 years ago

    Knowing the zone you're in is only the beginning. City would help immensely as climates are quite variable through zone 8.

    Disease resistant and fragrant hybrid tea? that's asking alot. Disease resistant usually means not fragrant, and vice versa. That said there are a few that do pretty well for me here in Olympia, but not necessarily any other area of WA, and rosarians in Seattle or Tacoma or elsewhere will have other choices that do well in their areas that won't cut it here in Oly.

    I do very well with Memorial Day so far, I've had it a few years now. Huge frilly pink fragrant flowers, but late to bloom. On the other hand it's very healthy and it still has most of its leaves even after being fully exposed to a small cyclone, record high rains, and numerous nights with temps below 20 degrees with only a few handfulls of maple leaves for protection. It's a relatively new hybrid tea so should be easy to find.

    Lavender and mauve roses are notorious for poor health and lack of vigor. I did pretty well with Melodee Parfumee and Fragrant Plum, but they didn't make the cut when I had to leave most of my roses behind.

    Peter Mayle is a dark rosy pink which also did well for me but didn't make the cut when I moved. Not very productive but probably would have done better in better soil. Fragrant, long stems, healthy. Stephen's Big Purple was another one, not at all purple for me, a dark rosy pink, again not very productive but heavenly fragrance. These two are not that easy to find, you'd have to do mail order.

    Aloha is a great rose. Pinky salmony hard to describe, but more pink than anything else. Fragrant, healthy, but not a hybrid tea, I use it as a small climber. The flowers are hybrid tea-like and on long enough stems for cutting, but only just. You could disbud it to get fewer flowers on longer stems. I think technically it's a shrub. Wonderful rose, I did bring it along when I moved. This one is fairly easy to find, sold as a climber. Like Memorial Day, it too still has most of its leaves and it's right next to Memorial Day so in all the same wind and cold. I have it planted on the cyclone fence next to the rose bed.

  • 19 years ago

    Thanks very much for the explicit information. I live in Anacortes, 300' elevation, 1/2 mile from the water. My southern exposure is the drivway which means I need to plant a rose on the west side and as far south as possible. Memorial Day sounds like a good choice for a first rose. I think I can find it at Christensen's. I appreciate your response! You may use my email if you wish.
    Peg

  • 19 years ago

    Christianson's has various roses planted out near the schoolhouse, where you can see how those particular roses have done. They also host local rose shows, where you can see what other people in the area are getting good results from.

  • 19 years ago

    I have some highly fragrant hybrid teas growing on the southwest side of my house. Not a trace of disease in the past three years, and I don't spray, or do much of anything besides prune and apply a fertile mulch. Just Joey is my personal favorite, for its dark glossy leaves and long-lasting blooms, but it's more of an apricot color, as is Fragrant Delight. Another proven performer for me is Spiced Coffee, which changes color as the blooms unfold. All of these are repeat bloomers.

    Here is a link that might be useful:

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Columbus' Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting