Software
Houzz Logo Print
daphnexduck

Best honeysuckle for PNW

19 years ago

What's the best honeysuckle for the PNW?

I'd like pink/white rather than orange/red, but it must be fragrant, and not overly rampant.

Daphne in Tacoma

Comments (15)

  • 19 years ago

    I've got a Hall's Honeysuckle on a trellis up against my house, in full sun. I've had it for about 4 years. It has white, fragrant flowers and has not been overly rambunctious. I cut out all the dead wood last year, which helped its appearance. This one was very easy to grow.

  • 19 years ago

    Check out Lonicera periclymenum 'Serotina'.

  • 19 years ago

    I have the same question. thanks for the feedback but can you expound upon scent?

  • 19 years ago

    Here's a few fragrant Honeysuckles:
    Lonicera Periclymenum hybrids,
    Belgica (Early Dutch Honeysuckle) dp. purple/red fades to yellow/red fragrant
    Graham Thomas, yellow fragrant
    Serotina (Late Dutch Honeysuckle) red/purple white inside fragrant
    Lonicera japonica repens purple/red and pink/white very fragrant

    A......

  • 19 years ago

    Thanks for the recommendations. I posted here because when I tried searching on my own, I found out there are at least one hundred different honeysuckles!

    I understand the Japanese types (including Hall's) is very invasive and considered a weed in most of the rest of the country.

    And what about mildew?

    The Serotina Florida looks good to me.
    Daphne in Tacoma

  • 19 years ago

    I have p. serotina, as long as it gets water when it's hot and dry, no mildew. I do get that darn spit bug though, I just hose them off. I use to get mildew on my Michaelmas Daisies when it was hot and dry, as long as they get watered well I don't have a problem there either.

    A......

  • 19 years ago

    Thanks, aftermidnight. Good enough for me.

    I forgot to ask, how big will the Seratina get? I read conflicting reports - one vendor said 'compact, 4-8' and another said '15-20'. Is there a compact variety? Or are they just fudging the numbers?
    Daphne in Tacoma

  • 19 years ago

    My Seratina only gets morning sun, it stays around 10', lots of flowers and great scent.

    A......

  • 19 years ago

    I'd offer another vote for 'Serotina' :-) Performs pretty much as a non-stop bloomer all summer, a pleasantly carrying fragrance and a huge hummingbird attractant. Mine has never been plagued with mildew, nor does it seem to overly attract aphids (which can be a problem with fragrant, vining honeysuckles). I'm not sure I'd necessarily consider it "compact", though :-) Easily hits 10 feet each season although I prune it back hard in the spring.

  • 19 years ago

    Thanks, everyone, for your input.
    On another post, I saw a reference to 'native honeysuckle'.
    Does anyone have more information? I've done a search to no avail...
    Daphne in Tacoma

  • 19 years ago

    I want to plant a vining plant that will go up a retaining wall that is in full sun and has irrigation and it sounds like either the Serotina or the Goldflame would be perfect. If the wall is approximately 30' long, how many plants would I need? How far apart should they be and, do I plant them close to the wall or leave some space for bushing out?

  • 19 years ago

    daphnexduck, here is a link describing the two native vining honeysuckle. L. hispidula is supposed to stay mostly on the ground but I have seen it climbing as well, pink flowers, and is often semi-evergreen. L ciliosa (starting to bloom now) mostly climbs and has orange flowers. Both great for the hummers.

    Here is a link that might be useful: native Lonicera

  • 19 years ago

    Thanks for the native Lonicera info. I wasn't aware of the King County Native Plant site. A good one! Have already forwarded it on to my friend who lives in a forest.
    Daphne in Tacoma

  • 19 years ago

    Does anyone know where I can get native western trumpet honeysuckle (lonicera ciliosa) in the Seattle area? I've been to a few nurseries with no luck and always end up being too late at the native plant sales - they're always sold out. Is it too late to plant anyway, and I should wait and try to find it next year? I'd appreciate any advice!

    Katie

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting