Software
Houzz Logo Print
homernoy

Hibiscus coccineus

19 years ago

Has anyone tried this species of Hibiscus? I was thinking of giving it a try. Looks like it has beautiful flowers. Thanks.

-Brian

Comments (6)

  • 19 years ago

    'Lord Baltimore' is growing on the south side of an Edmonds dental office because I recommended it. Does not flower until late in season, but is dramatic when it does.

    Another planted near a hot wall on Camano Island is dawdling so far, but it was allowed to deteriorate in the pot before being planted out - a sure way to get a plant to malinger after planting.

  • 19 years ago

    Thanks Ron.

    I googled 'Lord Baltimore', and have to say those flowers are quite impressive. Hope I can give it a spot with enough heat. Take care.

    -Brian

  • 19 years ago

    My attempts at this and very similar hibiscus haven't been successful. I do have this pink-flowered hibiscus of some kind...given to me at a plant swap & I don't know what it is. It is not the althea/rose of sharon type...it dies to the ground in winter and re-emerges in spring. I had it 2-3 years before it finally bloomed last year for the 1rst time. So far, it has grown to only about 3' tall.

  • 19 years ago

    Patrick, your photo looks rather like my Hibiscus moscheutos. It grows multiple stems from the ground every spring and blooms but the flowers don't last very long. It's in a minimal care area of my yard though and might do much better with a lot of water and fertilizer. I also have a Hibiscus grown from seed from Shumway that makes a smaller plant but very large 10" red flowers. It seems to get a little bigger and make more flowers every year but in getting overshadowed by a vigorous Mugho pine so I may have to move it. It's flowers last a little longer.

    The Hibiscus coccineus looks pretty. How long does it bloom?

  • 19 years ago

    The one at the clinic blooms late, so there isn't a whole summer of flowers. Driving by it looks to be about 2ft high right now, with no flowers yet. Think last year it was more than double that height at flowering time.

    Located on south side of exposed building, next to weedy grass that may not get watered much, if at all, so location is probably just about as hot as could be - would only be warmer if lawn was pavement and location was a corner that didn't get as much air movement.

    Brickell/Zuk, A-Z Encyclopedia of Garden Plants list 'Lord Baltimore' under Hibiscus moscheutos but it has the cut leaves of H. coccineus; similarity to that species in petal shape can also be readily seen in the book as picture of the flowers of both are placed next to one another on page 522:

    "'Lord Baltimore' bears many brilliant red flowers, 10in (25cm) across, with ruffled, overlapping petals, from midsummer to autumn; 4ft (1.2m)"

    Photo of 'Lord Baltimore' used shows petals free above the middle, if not starting lower, while picture on same page of H. moscheutos 'Southern Belle' shows flowers that have petals overlapping nearly to the ends. Those of H. coccineus can be seen to be completely separate, perhaps all the way to the base. Would seem 'Lord Baltimore' is form a crossing of the two species.

  • 19 years ago

    hemnancy, I think you've ID'd my pink hibiscus. I Googled that name and found a note that said the all-pink form is sometimes classified as a separate species, Hibiscus palustris. The common name of Rose Mallow does ring a bell. I also learned it's often called Swamp Mallow & is found naturally in wet areas. The spot where mine grows is sandy & well-drained, so now I see why it likes to be watered.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Columbus' Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting