Software
Houzz Logo Print
maki1122

Layering Bulbs? Comments on Pineapple Lily and Drucunclus?

20 years ago

Ok, I know it's a bit early to be thinking about bulbs, but I've got a blank space ~18" wide by 30" long, between my front walkway and the house where I'm thinking of layering bulbs.

I would like to get bloom "waves" from March through August, and found an article that talks about how to do this by layering, but what I'm concerned about is whether it's a problem to plant late summer blooming bulbs as early as the winter prior. Aren't late summer bloomers usually planted in spring? Perhaps our climate is temperate enough that we get to successfully bend these "rules"?

I'm thinking (in order of bottom to top; latest blooming to earliest): lilies, alliums, anemone, tulips, crown imperials, then snow drops. Am I totally whacko?

Also, does anyone have experience with Pineapple lilies and/or drucunculus vulgaris? I am so intrigued by those two!

I'm a bulb newbie, so your help is appreciated!

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Columbus' Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting