Software
Houzz Logo Print
curioffl

Newbie Zucchini question

19 years ago

I am enjoying my first small vegetable garden this summer (I am just outside Seattle to the north) (10'x10', snap peas earlier, all manner of lettuce, a couple of determinate tomatoes finally *maybe* starting to turn red now, and all the zucchini I can take for the last 6 weeks). Because my garden area is small I have started winter mustards, collards, and kales in pots for later transplanting and my question is about how long I can expect the zucchini to go on?

I think that I am noticing a decline in production with the shortening days (certainly from a month ago). A higher number are showing signs of rot before reaching suitable size and I see fewer bees about. In the interest of efficiency, at what point does the growth rate slow so much that it is just time to pull them? (Should I just wait till mildew or frost takes them, or is there a magic 'pull' date for zucchini?) I need the space for the winter stuff and am considering pulling the zucchini when the sprouts look big for their pots...but I would hate to waste zucchini if they can continue for months and months ...but would also hate to leave the winter stuff in pots unnecessarily when they could be getting used to their new home in the better late summer weather.

When are the zucchini usually done?

Comments (4)