Software
Houzz Logo Print
big_orange_vol_

Jan & Jim and Mona & David

20 years ago

Guys Jan and Jim took a hard hit from that storm today. Lightning hit their metal roof and fried their Dish, TV, computer and they're in the dark right now. If you have a computer that you aren't using that isn't a piece of crap, they are in need. Same thing with the TV. If you don't see Jan posting or answering a question or an email now you know why. I'll keep you abreast of the situation.

As long as we are looking to help those in need, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE add Mona and David to your prayers. They are going through a really tough time right now. I'm sure that most of you know that David lost his Dad last year and this year his Mom had a stroke. They are caring for his Mom now. If you love them like Lavonne and I do then make a special point of saying a special prayer for them every day!!! Show them some of the support that they have dedicated to us over the years in return. A rash of supportive and compassionate emails wouldn't hurt either. Please guys, they really need us!!!

If there are two more worthy couples of our help on GW I'd be hard pressed to figure out who they are! Do you have any idea what these four individuals have done for us over the past seven years? Do you like all these swaps that you are attending...thank them! They started this whole ball rolling with their generosity and selflessness. We have all benefited from their actions. This Tennessee Forum wouldn't be what it is without them. These four are the BEST of us and they need us now!!! Don't sit there and think that somebody else will take care of it or other folks will offer their help. PLEASE show them the same kindness and support that they have given us for years.

Comments (7)

  • 20 years ago

    Jeff, we have an oldish Compaq 350 mH they're welcome to. Not sure if it falls into the piece of crap category; it's slow by new computer standards, but it works. And we have an old TV, too, about 21" I think, that theirs if they want it. After all Jan and Jim have done I'd love to help them.

    I think of Mona often, and mentally send her my love and prayers. I'll email her -- thanks for the push.

    Marty

  • 20 years ago

    Jeff,
    All i have is an older IBM Aptiva. I think it falls into the crap category. But if they need it I will take it to them. Getting not to like the lightning. First my mom,s house and now Jan and Jim. will keep them all in my prayers.
    Martha

  • 20 years ago

    Moan! I sure hope that Jan and Jim aren't in the dark for too long. Eric has already cleared out his extra computer gear, but I'll keep my eyes and ears open. Its only right that Jan and Jim's extreme kindness would be repaid in a time like this. As for Mona and David, I love them like family and hurt for them. My heart and prayers are with them now more than ever.

  • 20 years ago

    Thank you all so very much. David and I are actually receiving a blessing while we are staying with his Mom daily. I've tried to keep her talking, so her speech and memory will be exercised, and during this time, I have learned so very much about her life. Some things I already knew, but that's ok, I still enjoy hearing it again. Sometimes I may hear the same thing 8-10 times in one day, but atleast she is talking and she is really trying to get better. This is a lady that has worked all her life, very hard. Her pride is her downfall, as it is with most of us. I think it causes her great pain to have to depend on us. I have told her that it is being done, not because we have to, but because we love her so very much. She lost her husband of 55 years last Oct. We had to downsize her home and this has been hard on her too. Less than a month after moving into a new, much smaller house, she had her stroke. Our main concern is her eyesight, she's legally blind, but can see a little from the inside of her left eye. She can see TV ok and to eat if she tries really hard. We are so very afraid of another more devastaing stroke. She will be 76 in August and I pray that God is merciful to her and lets her live that long.

    She is getting home health, which includes Speech, Physical and Occupational Therapies and has an aid to give her a shower 3 times a week plus an RN comes once a week. We don't know how long this will last, but it sure is a blessing. Her daughter has lived with her for the last 5 years, so she is with her at night. In all, it's actually easier than I had figured it would be. I pray that we can continue to keep her spirits up so she can improve.

    David and I are having some really bad personal problems right now that has nothing to do with his Mom. I can't go into detail, but I ask for your prayers that God will work in both of our lives to bring us closer together and that he will give us another 35 years of marriage. June 18 will be our 35 aniversery.

    My friendship with all of your wonderful people is such a blessing to me. David and I both are blessed by knowing each and everyone of you. You are so special to me.

    Jan and Jim are like a brother and sister that I have never had. I thank God daily for her encouragment to me. She is steadfast in your emails to me and phone calls to. I talked with her today and she is really handling their diaster with God's grace. It will be hard for them, so any and all help is so very much appreciated. Help can be given with words of encouragement and your prayers.

    I spoke with Jeff and Lavonne today, also. You are so special to me, too. All of you are. So know that my love for ya'll runs very deep in my soul. I pray that each of you recieves God's love this wonderful day, Mona

  • 20 years ago

    I'll add my two cents. I have an iMac(blueberry)not sure of the cpu speed, that I was just given. I have operating software and more, including additional memory. Most folks are PC users, but I am a lifelong Mac lover. No viruses, easy to use; can't accidently delete important files... perfect. Please let me know if this is useful or desirable, and I will figure out how to ship it to you all. I am a Hurricane Elvis survivor, and I know how tough it can be in the aftermath of a storm. My thoughts and hopes for all of you.

  • 20 years ago

    Leigh thank you so much for the generous offer but Jan has had the computer deal solved by Dell. Marty is giving them a TV so all should be well on that front.

  • 20 years ago

    WE ARE FINALLY BACK IN WORKING ORDER!!!! It took WEEKS for Dell to come through...I must have talked to 10 people at 10 different times...finally after I insisted on talking to a 2nd supervisor did I get anything done. I think they fixed it just so I wouldn't call them back.

    Thanks everyone for your thoughts and prayers, and for your offers. The TV only had a fuse blown in it. :) The sattelite receiver was fried...we will have to buy a new one at some time in the future...

    Had another storm on Frid...had another big tree to come down in the front yard...that's 3 trees in the yard down, now from 2 storms. Hope we have trees left at the end of the summer.

    The TN forum is busy and I am glad to see it.

    SEE YOU AT THE RIVER OCT 21

    Jan

Sponsored