Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dan_the_mailman

UPDATE: the mnf september migratory perennial swap

dan_the_mailman
13 years ago

IT'S TIME TO MIGRATE!!!

Sign-ups are over, everyone has chosen their new pet from the Pet Store, and I've sent e-mails to everyone, letting them know who to send their box to. Whew! That's a LOT done! LOL!!!

Please don't forget to send me an e-mail, with a delivery confirmation number, once you've sent out your box.

DO NOT POST THE DELIVERY CONFIRMATION NUMBER HERE!!!

I want to try to keep everyone guessing as long as we can. Don't worry, the suspense won't kill you, but it will make the waiting all that much more fun! Muhahahahaha!!!

Once you've received your box, post the contents of it here, and PLEASE go to the Rate & Review forum to leave some feedback about the person who sent it. I think we all tend to forget this, myself included, so let's try to remind ourselves about it, okay?

HAPPY MAILBOXING!!!

-Dan

Comments (44)

• lindaruzicka
    13 years ago

WHOOP! WHOOP! I have my address!!

• flowergirl34
    13 years ago

Mine came through loud and clear! :)

• cjcjmass
    13 years ago

Mine is all box up and ready to go.....

• booboobolhuis
    13 years ago

Got my address, box will be going out next week!!!

:) Jennifer

• sherrih
    13 years ago

will send mine out on sat!!
    Sherri

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

It's cold and rainy here right now, so I'm waiting another day or two before doing any digging. The rest of the box is ready to go though. I've got Saturday off, so I'm making that my shipping day.

-Dan

• diene
    13 years ago

it is very quiet on this thread, how is everyone? Send some of that rain my way Dan, we have been threatened with two hurricanes and have not even received a decent rain storm from either. We did have some thunder this morning and a brief shower and the waves have been huge but not enough rain to even grow grass.
    Anyone who receives anything from me should soak it overnight before planting due to the dry conditions all my plants have suffered this year. Just a warning for the future.
    Have a great night all.
    diene

• lindaruzicka
    13 years ago

I"ve been gathering for my whooping crane's box. The weather here has been warm in the afternoon and chilly in the morning and evening, just the way I like it.

• cjcjmass
    13 years ago

I'm still working on my box....Please keep me in your pray's i'm going into surgery tomorrow morning @ 7am.
    My nervous energy is pumping hb said i watering the garden twice today...

big hugs
    Cj

• sherrih
    13 years ago

Good Luck with your surgey Cj. Will pray for you and your family. Hope you have a speedy recovery.
    Sherri

• flowergirl34
    13 years ago

Hi! I was getting a list for my penguin all ready yesterday...then went to go and get a box...NO BOX! So I'm on my way to po to load back up on my flat rate boxes. Boy! I wonder where they all went????:) I did have a stack...hhhmmmmm....am I swapping tttoooooo much? NAH!

Hopefully if the rain lets up I'll be digging today. Cold 61, wet and dreary cloudy today...gotta find something fun to do.
    vina

• antiqueorchid
    13 years ago

CJ, praying for your quick recovery and that all goes well today.

We have not had rain here in quite awhile as well. Everything is really dry. I am hoping that the weather is right for Sunday as we should be getting rain.

Still working on my box. Should have it ready today or tomorrow.

Denise

• sherrih
    13 years ago

Hello Everyone,
    I am soooooo excited I got my box today, and all I can say is WOW.. It's like you knew me personally..In my box was so many special treats:
    Hen-n-chicks-3
    tiger Lily Bulbs-2
    Siberian Iris-3
    Hosta-4
    Red/Yellow Yarrow-5
    Native Fern-6
    Spirea Sapling-7
    My Very Fav-Hersery bar
    Picture Coasters- I ma also a picture addict
    Seashells-I love shells I will add them to the ones in my bathroom
    Herbal Foot Cream
    and some info on Maine, maps n such.
    THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU DIENA you put alot of thought into my box. I had a bad day at work today and coming home to all this made my week!! Hugs n Kisses. What a wonderful treat!!
    Sherri

• diene
    13 years ago

Hello All;
    I came home today to a great box from Dee (domehome) and it had lots of interesting plants as well as a great note and some neat pictures of her world.
    I received a huge Iris tuber, several shasta daisies, three or four different sedums, mini cattails, crocosmia, and two plants I have to check out. One is called Parryi truncata Agave and the other is orange watsonia.
    Dee thinks they will both survive in Maine and I am very excited to try.
    Thanks for the great box, Dee.

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I just got back from digging in the rain (which was kind of fun! I felt like a little kid!) and going to the post office with 3 boxes for different swaps. Linda, the dc# for your box is 0310 0480 0001 5590 8011

• booboobolhuis
    13 years ago

I came home from the doctor with my sick baby yesterday to find a box from Kathie, YAY!!!It was exactly what I needed and couldn't of come at a better time. It had a beautiful card with a special note from Kathie that made me laugh and there was a bag of chocolates (YUM!) that had a note written on it to use as a bribe for digging holes. After briefly thinking about handing that yummy bag over to my husband to go dig holes I happily sat down and started going through the rest of the box while enjoying some great chocolates! LOL. Needless to say afterwards I then felt guilty (never give chocolates to a pregnant woman and expect her to share,lol, especially me and especially THOSE chocolates!) and dug the holes myself.

The box also included some beautiful varieties of plants. I was shocked to see that there were 2 named Daylilies (I'm extremely excited and grateful), 3 Foxgloves (double YAY!), blue Lupines, Lily of the Valley, Lily Sargentae, blue & purple Allium bulbs, awesome seeds for yellow Allium, blue Lupine, red Carnation, blue Delphinium, pink & white Foxglove, and white Foxglove, ALL of which I had put on my "want" list. So to get the actual plant of some is amazing to me and I am so happy I am like a 3 year old,lol. She actually cared enough to pay attention to a one line comment I made about loving Foxgloves but having trouble starting them from seeds and sent me three good size plants. I am forever grateful for that, it means alot to me. I think I got everything that was put in the box, I hope I'm not forgetting something but if I am I will update with another post. Kathie, you are the best! Your box means ALOT to me, especially with the care you took in putting it together as well as the pictures you sent in the emails of what the plants look like, very helpful to me in finding a home for them. AND the picture of the little pheasent that was great too, it is a pretty little thing but that still doesn't mean I want to be near it,lol. I will admire from afar and through pictures,lo. Thank you again a thousand times over. And thanks Dan for a fun swap!

NOTE TO DAN: My box went out this morning through Fedex Ground, my husband is a Fedex employee, when he gets home I will email you the tracking number. :)

Jennifer

• flowergirl34
    13 years ago

Hi all!
    Wow! those sound like some great boxes.

My box will be going out on Monday morning. There was a sale today at a local greenhouse and I wanted to wait to mail to see if my Penguin had anything on there want list.

Have a great weekend everyone!!
    vina

• diene
    13 years ago

I need to post again as I have finally planted everything in my box and it took quite a while because there were lots of each. The Agave and watsonia are in pots because they would never make it in Maine but might make a great conversation piece as a house plant. Mixed in with the shasta daisies was another plant, which is now in the ground but I forget what it was. I will check and let you know later.
    Hope everyone has a great day. thanks again Dee.

• flowergirl34
    13 years ago

Hi all!
    Will email the DC# when I get back from the post office but I could wait to post that my box arrived from Denise just now!!

I'm opening...I'm opening...
    There is a lovely card and envelope...in it are pics of her garden and her adorable 3 year old Brooke. She looks so cute with her little pink elephant!! And your gardens are beautiful! I really like the large stone-wall that you have along the side of your house. It looks like it has been there forever! Just gorgeous!!

And she sent me:
    A baggie full of Hershey's Kisses and Yummy smelling Lemon Tea.
    Hen's N Chicks: Krebs 2
    Penstemon: Violet Dusk
    Hosta: Mouse Ears
    Campanula: Cherry Bells
    Sedum: Purple Emperor
    Iris: Trillion
    Prairie Wine Cups
    Daisy: Snowdrift

And she "sneaked" :)
    Echinacea: After Midnight Seeds
    Double Gloriosa Daisy Seeds
    I responded to her post on the seed exchange and she was already sending me some...too funny!

You managed quite a few from my want list and I can't thank you enough!! This box was such a pleasure to open and such a surprise!! :)

Thanks Dan for putting together such a fun swap!!

NOW...I'm off to the post office to mail my box to my Penguin :)
    vina

• antiqueorchid
    13 years ago

Vina,
    Glad you liked your plants and thank you for the compliments on my gardens and Brooke. Our house was built in the late 1800's so that wall has been there at least 100 yrs.

Denise

• flowergirl34
    13 years ago

Hi all! My box is in the mail!!

Dan, I'll have to email you the DC in the morning. I left the slip in the van.

Have a great night everyone!!
    vina

• antiqueorchid
    13 years ago

YAY! I got my box today.

Cindy sent a nice variety of plants.

Rex Begonia
    Hosta Hush Puppies-looks like a mini.
    Heuchera Tiramisu-didn't have this one yet:)
    Iris Thornbird-love irises
    Black eyed susan Henry Eihlers-will have to look up.
    Stokes Aster Color Wheel-will have to look up.
    Chocolate candy-My daughter claimed them imediately:)

She also sent a cute little plastic lily that floats in water and lights up.

Thank you for the nice variety and thoughtful choices. You must have looked at my plant list.

Denise

• lindaruzicka
    13 years ago

my whooping crane's box is going out today!

• sherrih
    13 years ago

My box was mailed out yesterday!!

• lindaruzicka
    13 years ago

I received a most interesting box from Dan. It had an assortment of plants that I can't wait to get into my garden. He also included a wooden "brain Teaser"..something to keep me occupied till the grandbaby comes?.."L". Her due date was Monday and still no baby.."sad face"....

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hello everyone...Had a busy day today both tubes were removed today without any Lortab..OOCH.I was so excited to see my box at the front door.It felt like xmas in September...Thank you so much
    It included a get well card from flowergirl34 thank you so much.

Red Texas Star Hibiscus
    White Butterfly Bush
    Yarrow summer pastels
    white swan coneflower
    Wiegela bush CArnival
    white columbine
    Daffodil bulbs mix
    snow crocus bulbs mix

And a box full of seeds
    fountain grass
    yarrow white
    sweet william
    autmn beauty sunflower
    salvia
    for ge me knots
    Gian Imperial Larkspur
    black knight butterfly bush
    queen ann laceFormosa lily
    grape tomatoes
    light blue phlox
    pink Mallow
    ringed bellflower

Thank you Miss Penguin

• flowergirl34
    13 years ago

Morning all!

Okay, now I'm confused??? Did I send Cindy's box to you by mistake Dan?? If so I am so sorry!!

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Nope, not at all. Cindy received your box, and then used the old thread to post on. When I saw what she'd done, I copied her post onto this thread. Okay? Still confused? I hope not...lol!

Now, I did receive a box of diapers today from Jennifer! LOL! It was funny to see sitting on the kitchen table when I got home, then I realized it was my box from Jennifer! Inside the value pack of parent's choice baby diapers, I found...
    a miniature pink rose
    purple heart
    lemon verbena (the cats LOVE smelling this!)
    josee reblooming lilac (I'm still drooling over having one now!)
    5 mixed hyacinth bulbs
    and a HUGE bag of seeds!
    Amongst the seeds were...
    catnip (for Bump & Stella, they'll go nuts for this!)
    tidy tips (not sure what this is, but will have fun finding out)
    red shrub rose seeds
    hybrid red tea rose
    wisteria
    burgundy clematis
    mixed color african violet (Jennifer checked with the vet before including these...that was so thoughtful!)
    siberian wallflower
    black hollyhocks
    mongolian bells clematis
    money plant
    mini yellow melons
    mini green melons
    malva
    gerbera daisy (one of my favs!)
    plumbago leadwort
    love in a mist
    salvia
    gloriosa daisy
    blue-eyed daisy
    medium-hot ornamental chili pepper
    coneflowers - orange, red, purple, cut leaf
    and my favorite part of the whole box, some mystery colored coneflower seeds collected by Jennifer's 8-year old daughter. Jennifer, tell her I'll be growing these in a special patch of their own right next to the new gnome home I'm building so the gnomes can enjoy them too.

This was an awesome box Jennifer, thank you VERY MUCH!!! It brought laughs, lots of smiles, and gave the cats something to investigate too. Too KEWL!!!!

HUGAS!
    -Dan

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Like the line says, it's time for an update on who has sent and recieved their box. Here we go...

lindaruzicka/Linda /received
    sherrih/Sherri sent/received
    booboobolhuis/Jennifer sent/received
    diene sent/received
    antiqueorchid/Denise sent/received
    flowergirl34/Vina sent/received
    sinbadsmom/Kathie sent/
    domehome/Dee sent/
    cjcjmass/Cindy sent/received
    dan_the_mailman/Dan sent/received

Okay, by my tallies, Linda still needs to send out her box Dee, and Sherri's box should arrive at any time at Kathie's house. Please check this update and let me know if I've missed anything, okay? THANKS!!

HUGAS!
    -Dan

• lindaruzicka
    13 years ago

hmmm..I sent my box out on Tuesday...did I foget to send you the confirmation number Dan?..I swear, my mind's a sieve!!

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

which means we can adjust our tally sheet...yay!!! you all have made this an EASY swap to host!!! THANK YOU!!!

lindaruzicka/Linda.......... sent/received
    sherrih/Sherri.............. sent/received
    booboobolhuis/Jennifer.......sent/received
    diene........................sent/received
    antiqueorchid/Denise.........sent/received
    flowergirl34/Vina............sent/received
    sinbadsmom/Kathie............sent/
    domehome/Dee.................sent/
    cjcjmass/Cindy...............sent/received
    dan_the_mailman/Dan..........sent/received

Maybe we can even wrap this one up over the week-end! That'd be cool!
    Later,
    Dan

• flowergirl34
    13 years ago

HI everyone! Just checking in...
    OH GOOD! It seems I'm the only one who was confused :) My box knew exactly where to go :)

Dan, thanks so much for such a fun swap. We'll have to keep this in mind for next year!

Hugs all and have a great weekend!
    vina

• booboobolhuis
    13 years ago

Dan,

Lol, I didn't think about how wierd it would be for you to see the box of diapers, I'm used to seeing them so I didn't think much of it,lol! That's hilarious! I'm glad you liked the box, I was kind of nervous since it has been so hot here and with little rain whether the choices I made for the plants would be good ones. My daughter is very happy that you will be growing her "mystery Coneflowers", she's been reminding herself to make a note of which plants she collects seeds from so it is a good lesson for my little gardener. I too will have my patch of Kaylee's mystery flowers this spring,lol, should be interesting. Thanks for a great swap, it was alot of fun, now I get to prepare for your new one.

Jennifer :)

• domehomedee
    13 years ago

Here I am!
    I received my box from Linda and wow . . . lots of neat stuff!
    I received Allium, muscari, daffodils, tulips, and iris bulbs. Also some gloves, a little crow sculpture, some plant food singles and various seeds.
    Also a couple postcards and a personal notecard with a letter. Lots to research and things play with!
    Thanks so much.
    Linda, I am a first time grandmother too. My granddaughter is two and we are having her for three days this week as she has just been weaned and Mommy and Daddy are going away for a short vacation.
    Being grandma is the best. I forgot just how much fun babies are, so full of joy, and love.
    I got my love of gardening from my grandpa. He was a successful businessman and yet his joy was his rose garden. He also had a dicondra lawn, I can remember how cool it felt on your feet!
    Thanks again, Dee

• jaleeisa
    13 years ago

Just peeking in to say Hello :)

• lindaruzicka
    13 years ago

Jaleesia!!! "running and throwing arms around you"...How are you? whatcha been up too? (((HUGGSSSS)))))

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

According to the usps site, Kathie's box was delivered today, so once she posts the contents this swap will be done. You all made this a great swap to host! I wish they all could be this easy! Thanks!!!
    -Dan

• sinbadsmom
    13 years ago

Well thats a bummer! Saturday was my down in the dumps day had really wanted that box to be sitting on the back steps when I got home and it wasn't........wasn't delivered today either. So sad. Kathie

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Kathie, I made a mistake and looked up the box you had sent out. Here's the dc# for your box... 0309 2880 0000 3014 2640. The last update on the website says it was mis-sent to Texas, so hopefully it'll be there soon. I'll keep watching...

• sinbadsmom
    13 years ago

Good morning, my goodness!!Texas! I guess it was mis-sent. Nothing like being out in left field. I can't believe it went all the way to the other side of the country! Okay so crossing my fingers it will be here today. Kathie

• sherrih
    13 years ago

Kathie,
    It was missent last week. I am in Louisiana, so now its back right next door to me. I was tracking it since I sent it, and they missent it I wanna say last wed. Then they said it was re-routed, correction made and it was in texas. Please let me know if you ever get it. Those poor plants are proablly dead.*(&&&^^&%*(())( postal service. Dan don't read that part it's not meant aganist you. Kathie like I said in the email I sent you. I am sooooooooo sorry, I feel aweful:(. I will check here for your post. This is very upsetting, and I can only imagine how you feel.
    SOOOOOO SOOOOOOOOOO Sorry,
    Sherri

• sinbadsmom
    13 years ago

Good morning! have no idea if anyones still following this post but figured I better post here seeing as I'm the last one that Sherri's box finally arrived yesterday!!!! I bet that box of plants has quite a story to tell of everywhere its been for the last week or so!
    I was quite suprised to find every plant alive and in great shape!
    She sent me a bunch of stuff that I don't have which is great. I got 2 amaryllis, 2 fans of bloom purple, white yarrow, cactus and a bosai seedling. Thanks so much Sherri for the great plants and definitely the great packing job! Kathie

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Everyone stay tuned! This isn't the end of the story yet! I just checked with the usps.com site, and part two should happen either today or tomorrow...

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Okay, all boxes have been delivered, even the second one Sherri sent out to Kathie. Great job everyone!

-Dan

..THIS SWAP IS NOW CLOSED. THANK YOU ONE AND ALL!!! ..