Software
Houzz Logo Print
sethclayw

Criticism Needed!

13 years ago
This is my room. Everything was designed by me.. As far as put together. I am looking for good and bad comments. And honest opinions

Comments (12)

  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Add dimmer switches to the bedside lights.And i agree about the bedside tables looking a bit flimsy.
  • 13 years ago
    I think it's very nice ! And I think your nightstands are ok, but if you want them to feel weightier, you can just add books or stereo stuff below them rather than replace them.
  • 13 years ago
    I really like your color combination of the orange and grey. I like the 'headboard' too... but it looks a tiny bit narrow to me. A frame... or even a painted frame like the above comment suggested might give it a bit more 'weight'.

    I have to agree with the others on the side tables..... they kind of look like the fold up TV trays to me. Also... besides liking the color so much, the first thing that occurred for me was that a pair of wall sconces could yield a nice effect.

    Amateur here.... so take that into consideration. I like the 'energy' of your room.
  • 13 years ago
    Thank you all! And yes Terry they are TV fold tables. It was a cheap alternative for the time where I had no end tables and no money! The "headboard" is actually a canvas. I painted it recently and hung it here to create a head board effect.and are you saying to paint a black frame on the canvas? Please clarify!
  • 13 years ago
    Seth ~ Actually, it was someone else that first suggested painting a 'frame' around the painting... but I agree "framing" the headboard would give it added dimension (and to my eye... would widen it a bit to match the bed width). One option would be to buy some simple trim from Lowes or HD and make a visual frame that way.... which would give it more depth.

    But once again.... give due consideration to my lack of qualifications as an interior designer. I suspect you will get a variety of tips from the professionals on here. Some of which do amazing visual work. Best of luck!
  • 13 years ago
    I originally suggested painting a frame on the headboard canvas. You could tape off an area on the outer edge of the canvas. Paint the border right on the canvas. This could make your headboard/canvas look to small for the bed though. The best option would be to create a border around your canvas. You can make a border with almost anything - wood, mirrors etc. - use your imagination. Sounds like you might be on a budget so if I were you, I'd paint a large black square on he wall and then centre my canvas over the square. You probably want to have a minimum of 4 inches of black showing along the top and the sides of the canvas to create the illusion of a headboard.
  • 13 years ago
    I love your room, but would add a fun throw pillow to the chair in the corner that ties in the grey, orange and white color scheme.
  • 13 years ago
    I have a feeling you really like the orange energy so let's keep going with it... Like maryjane suggests, a border of some kind would definitely make your statement stronger. I would also add a border of orange too. The mirror idea is also good because it could pick up orange from the opposite wall....The tv trays are great, btw. Low cost, easy to move. When you want something more; take them apart if you think possible without destroying the tops. Keep the tops. Find concrete bases from construction dept at builders supply. Measure your subject matter to make sure the tops will seat themselves on the base...Grey is tied in, and you have a smooth wood top for the side tables. If concrete is too rough, go with old wood. You can grey wash it easily enough. Black and white paint, a little water....Have fun!
  • 13 years ago
    I like the low linear feel of the bedroom, I'd be tempted to cut about 6" off of the TV tables legs just to lower them. Paint a wide black frame on the wall around your print. Make faux fur cushion covers in grey for your chair. If those are standard sized pillows looks like the pillow case could take a queen, if there queen they could take a king sized pillow either way the case would be better filled. A few more accessory pillows on the bed and your done. Love the orange :)
  • 13 years ago
    Orange is a fun color, beef up your whole bed with more of your art on canvas. do 2 more BIG pieces to go with the one you painted, place them all side by side and above your tables. Make sure the canvas is nice and tight. Consider using your lamps as uplights and shining on your art. The chair is not adding anything, the way it is, paint on it too !! a different kind of canvas. Can you paint the frame orange? Pull all the bedding tight and wrinkle free add a couple of "menswear" covered pillows. On a budget right? visit a thrift store for gray sweaters and men's suits they work great and will add another layer of texture to your room.
    Any fabric left over can be framed too. Most of all good to see you are having fun with YOUR room.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I think that this is great! Quick (and CHEAP) ways to add weight to the back wall (which you do need...but you are SO CLOSE here)

    1--have you thought about making the bottom of your art piece the top? It would make the "heaviest" part in better position to give that wall.

    2--TV trays--great solution for function, just not form. Why not add some woven grass cloth (in a coffee color) to the sides with velcro? Remnants are our friends and need love too. You could even do a very cheap muslin and dye it chocolate and do the same thing

    3--Raise the lamps about 6-8". Big box stores have chrome boxes in their decor sections...if you can't find one, cover a large wood square block from a craft store with a piece of dark rich leather.

    Kudos to you for not only doing a great room but for allowing all of us to give our opinion on it!