Software
Houzz Logo Print
hopmom_gw

Thoughts on my color choices...

14 years ago

Just gave the painter my color choices and now starting to doubt myself -- so I thought I'd check in with my GW friends...

We're in the process of having the walkout basement finished with a large mudroom entrance from the garage and a family room/play room area.

For the mudroom, I picked BM Gray Wisp. The floor will be tiled with a porcelein wood looking tile -- 12 x 24 -- in a dark gray:

Mudroom will have a wall of built-ins -- bench w/lockers and cabinets similar to this:



The family room area is long and narrow with 2 sets of double windows and a french patio door. It will be carpeted in a textured taupe Stainmaster carpet. For paint, I chose Revere Pewter with an accent wall done in Chelsea Gray (this accent wall will have a linear gas fireplace).

Do you think the Gray Wisp, Revere Pewter and Chelsea Gray work together (and with tile choice)? Also wondering if I should stick with RP for mudroom also. thoughts??

Comments (9)

  • 14 years ago

    Gray Wisp...
    {{!gwi}}

    Revere Pewter

    Chelsea Gray

  • 14 years ago

    I think you did a great job! The colors work together (at least on my monitor) and seem to complement the flooring really nicely. I can't wait to see pics of the completed mudroom / basement!

  • 14 years ago

    absolutely!! the gray wisp will look fantastic with the flooring!! i would use the 2 different colors in the rooms!

  • 14 years ago

    Okay, the painter just completed a coat of tinted primer -- the gray wisp is looking too minty green to me -- I was hoping for more of a spa blue. Any suggestions...

  • 14 years ago

    If he just put tinted primer on the wall, you can't tell from that. You'll need to see the actual paint on the wall.

  • 14 years ago

    My suggestion would be to continue on w/ the rest of your plan and paint the family room and then make a decision. I can see how you might think that the Gray Wisp looks minty but that may change once surrounded by th erest of the colors. I guess I figure since it's done don't try to tweak it until you see it all together. If you still don't like it you may wish to jump over one card to Arctic Gray 1577. It reads more blue than grey when it's against RP.

    I really like your tile choice. What is it?

  • 14 years ago

    I just put similar colors in my basement. My floor is almost exactly the same and I painted with BM Gray Owl and in the bathroom Wickham gray. I have used Gray wisp upstairs and it is just too green for me now. The other colors have that feeling but much lighter and with more gray.
    I used Revere Pewter in a sitting room off my master and like that too.

  • 14 years ago

    For our build, RP is my front runner for our main living spaces with Chelsea Gray being my first choice for our doors and bookcase backs. Simply White for trim. So I say go for it. GW is supposedly the duplicate for RH's Silver Sage. It's not minty at all. See how it works in your light. If you don't like it, try Quiet Moments maybe? I think the colors will look lovely and play off each other well!

  • 14 years ago

    Update on the paint...since I didn't like the Gray wisp, I had them do the whole thing in Revere Pewter with one wall in Chelsea Gray. I like it -- but I am surprised how green the Revere Pewter looks -- especially in the mudroom area where there is no natural light. Wonder if the primer done in Gray Wisp is showing through to make it look more green? I also had them darken the Revere Pewter a bit -- which might bring out the green -- wish I hadn't done that. But, I think it's fine and will let it rest.

    ttodd, the tile is Happy Floors Natif in curry -- it will be in next week!

    Built-ins are being painted today -- room should be complete in a week or so and I will update.

    Thanks!!