Software
Houzz Logo Print
cruzmisl

Can a dark hardwood floor work with contemporary decor?

15 years ago

Hi All,

I figured I'd post here rather than the flooring forum. I'm hoping I'll get some good advice.

I want to replace my existing carpet and originally decided on a frieze carpet but once I saw the price and realized I could get a handscraped oak for a few dollars more per sq.ft I had to re-evaluate. I'd love a smooth finish maple but the flooring guy suggested with a dog the handscraped would be better. Problem is the color is dark. Its a nice rich color but I'm wondering if it will work in my contemporary space. There is literally no wood in my house (save my maple cabinets which are bleached). Here are some pics of the space, wood floor and the tile that will butt up against the wood.

Any opinions truly appreciated.


{{!gwi}}


{{!gwi}}


{{!gwi}}


A picture of my puppy which precipitates the change :-)

Comments (13)

  • 15 years ago

    I think it would look great! We recently made the switch and love the new look.

  • 15 years ago

    I tend to look at wood floors as neutrals... They match most everything (unless you have too many competing wood tones.)

    With that said, your style has a lot of cool colors (blue, grey, black, etc.) ..... while that floor reads as a warm brown. The last poster has some warm tones in their couch/throw pillows, which pulls everything together to me. I am not saying to not do the wood floor, but that is something to consider....

    Is a dark brown the only option for hand-scraped? ..or just the only option in the right price range? There are some grey-toned/white washed/ashen wood floors that might appeal to you more.

    Regardless of what I just said, I think that wood floor looks beautiful and would look beautiful........ :)

  • 15 years ago

    @waltbsc - what is the brand/color name of your loveseats?

  • 15 years ago

    cruzmsl - I really like the dark and light tones together; I think the walls and the light trim will work well with the dark wood floors. The tile appears to have a little taupe/tan in it which provides some of the 'warmth' lolauren was talking about; I think the tile will be fine against the wood. I'm just wondering if your sofa and chair might "disappear" a little against the dark floor? Maybe adding in a lighter area rug that the sofa/chair contrasts with? The dog will also like the carpeted area - especially on his joints as he ages, and especially for large breeds. I'm also planning to rip out carpet in a couple of years to install wood floors - easier to clean up after the dog. Good luck! :-)

  • 15 years ago

    I think it will look lovely... but you will lose the dog in it, they are the same color!

  • 15 years ago

    I have a friends with dogs. She chose to use ceramic tile that looks like wood grain. You can do a search to see what's available, but that product would allow you to have light colored floors similar to your cabinets and it will wear better than wood or carpeting. It's really an amazing product. Search on "wood look tiles."

  • 15 years ago

    I think the floor will look great with your walls. But, like a previous poster pointed out--it is very close to your furniture color--are you planning to get an area rug?

    Also, it may show dust and dirt a lot more than a lighter floor. But, on the plus side, it should hide your dog's hair as it's so close to his color.

  • 15 years ago

    LOL I was thinking the same thing sashasmommy wrote! Well that and it would most definitely work very well.

  • 15 years ago

    What a magnificent dog!!!!!!

  • 15 years ago

    Thanks for all the thoughts.

    I do plan on an area rug and it will surely be light in color. The floor is brown and my dog is grey so I'm hoping it will hide the hair, although she doesn't shed much.

    Also my couch is a blue leather but it looks pretty dark in some of the pics.

    The flooring guy did mention there was a lighter color but I like the dark because it really shows the variation in the handscraping. I'll get a sample of the light just to satisfy my curiosity.

    I'll keep my fingers crossed on the lint and hair though against the dark floor.

  • 15 years ago

    I think so, especially based on waltbc's photos. I like the contrast of the warm and dark tones.

    Pretty dog!

    Beware - dark stained floors are gorgeous but they do show every speck of dust, hair, etc. My chocolate brown lab blended into the floor but he also shed a lot. In the light streaming through our front sidelights I could see every fur ball. Getting my Miele vacuum w/the hardwood attachment has been a lifesaver.

    I would still definitely choose the dark floors though if I had to do it over.

  • 15 years ago

    I love the wood and color and I do think it can work well with a contemporary style. L-O-V-E your dog! I'd love to have our two choc labs in the house but not willing to put up with the hair and other doggie stuff. Did that when I was younger :)
    May I suggest you include one of these with your purchase. It's the greatest thing since the wheel :) Use mine every day (tile and wood) and my floors have never been cleaner.
    If interested, you can read my review on the Cleaning forum, page one. The title is: mint robotic floor cleaner raves raves & more raves!
    Monica

    Here is a link that might be useful: Robotic Hard Surface Wet/Dry Sweeper (not vac)

  • 15 years ago

    I have very dark (hazelnut) wood flooring - my ever shedding dog has light blondish, fairly long hair. It's horrific - I can sweep and within an hour it needs done again, it definately shows on the dark floor.

    But, hey your dog is dark, his hair may blend in !

    I saw ceramic tile that looked exactly like hardwood - it was very pretty.

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations