Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
willo100_gw

DeWils Cabinets

willo100
14 years ago

Hi,

My wife and I have been seriously considering purchasing DeWils cabinets over Medallion and Kraftmaid. We found the Manhattan, alder wood with a honey-wheat finish to be very much to our liking. We were pretty impressed at the quality of the Designer series, and based on the design of our kitchen, the cabinets seemed to "fit" well.

We haven't heard much about them here on Long Island, so I'm trying to find out if anyone has any opinion of the quality...

Any help is appreciated.

Comments (7)

• mercurygirl
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Mine will be installed next week. I'm in WA state and they're pretty local to me. I'm surprised eastern folks are checking them out.

I've not seen my cabs, but have seen samples and they look great. My KD raves about them.

HTH

• becktheeng
    14 years ago

I have DeWils Horizon Line (frameless line), mine are painted maple. My cabinet guy had DeWils prime them then a local guy painted with my white (DeWils doesn't do painted finishes). I have been using mine for about 4 weeks (though the kitchen is not finished yet).

I love them. They are good quality. I really liked that they could customize heights and depths for me. I have two 48" high 18" wide cabinets that flank my hood (hood was by Stansci). I also have one 30" wide wall cabinet that is 15" deep, instead of the standard 12".

I have the blum full extension soft close hinges too. My cabinet guy has been selling them for over 10 years and says that they are a great company to work with. He said that they never miss a ship date once they give it to him and that they package the cabinets really well. So well that I could even see them before they went to the painters.

• melinrk
    14 years ago

This was one of the brands that I considered using also.

Hey LI, I'm in Rockland, so we're local enough to make this applicable. I got a very good quote on them and liked them a lot. For reasons too difficult to explain, we ended up going elsewhere. DeWils and Kraftmaid are really not in the same catagory. Kraftmaid also seems to have many problems (do a search for it here and you will get an earful). If you want comparable brands, look at Omega and Woodmode/Brookhaven.

We're using Brookhaven (everything due in on 8/31 so I don't know how they look yet) from a place in the city. In House Kitchen Home Bath on Lexington btwn 32nd and 33rd. Ask for Jayne Ziegler and tell her Melinda sent you. She is AMAZING to work with. Unbelievably professional and knowledgable and helpful. The products are stunning. I got a better price than her "regular" because I'm working with the contractor who she works with a lot, so I got a professional courtesy discount for using them both.

If you need a contractor, let me know as he works a bunch in LI too. He's actually a home builder and built the house I've been living in for 11 years with no probs at all.

• chairthrower
    14 years ago

We used DeWils in our kitchen. We're mostly happy--they look great and are working well--but we did have a few issues:

1) They messed up our order in two ways. They simply forgot our custom depth microwave cabinet (we wanted it for a side of an island, with a cookbook shelf underneath). When they were told they expedited it and got it to us in under 2 weeks, but the toe kick was cut incorrectly (since it was on the corner, we needed the bottom cut in.) They told our contractor to just rip it and move it back, which he wasn't happy about at all (but he did do and it was fine.)

The other thing was we were looking for a very specific custom desk. We asked for a pocket door cabinet over a solid cherry top. Our designer did the best she could with the available information, but when we received the cabinet, it had a bottom so it covered the nice (and not cheap) cherry top. Our contractor installed it before we understood what was happening, and he again had to take it all apart, rip the bottom of the cabinet, and figure out how to make it all fit together. On top of that, we had ordered it with internal shelving with bracket holes, and expected it to come assembled with the parts. We received the plywood and the shelves not only unassembled, but with no instructions, and no obvious way they were to fit together. They are still down in our basement, and we fit an IKEA shelf into the cabinet to make it work.

2) Our corner lazy Susan had a ridiculous squeak in one of the turntables. I can't understand how they shipped it with such issues. I was able to silence it with some carefully applied 3-in-1 oil, though.

3) Our contractor, in general was disappointed with the amount of manual tinkering he had to do with these cabinets. There are a few places where things like trim pieces and faces didn't line up the way he would have expected, and he had to do a lot more manual trimming and cutting than he's used to. He claimed that other manufacturers (including his preferred person, who would have cost us $10-15k more) don't have these issues. Having said that, he did a great job and I don't think anyone could see the limitations unless they were looking for them.

The best things I can say about DeWils is they come standard with soft close, are pretty configurable, have all plywood construction, and you can get any wood species for the same price (which is why we ended up with cherry instead of oak). They're very well priced for the feature set. The biggest disadvantage, in my opinion, is I wouldn't consider them a true custom cabinetmaker. I would be wary about asking for custom sizes and configurations, mostly because the materials they give the distributors don't have the kind of detail for them to make sure everything fits together. As long as you stick to their standard sizes, perhaps playing with one simple dimension, you'll probably be fine.

We also had 2 existing things--a printer and a microwave--that we couldn't be sure would fit in the cabinets until we actually got them (because they didn't give that detail on their measurments.) Luckily both fit with less than 1/8" to spare. Our printer is on a roll-out shelf in our desk area and it's very cool. But we got lucky.

My other favorite piece is my 15" cabinet with two rollout shelves--one for spices, one for oils, right next to the stove. The biggest oil cabinet was only 12" so it wouldn't have fit, but this config is better because I can pull out either shelf as I need it, and all my spices and oils fit well.

We did get some money back from the company to compensate for the issues we had, and they were usually pleasant, but they and our contractor disagreed on what was whose responsibility.

So overall, now that we're done, we're happy, but it wasn't entirely smooth.

• becktheeng
    14 years ago

Wow, that experience was very different from mine. My issues were all caused by the cabinet dealer (who was also the installer). They were minor and fixable. Even though they were the cabinet dealers fault, Dewils shipped everything quickly.

Of course my installer is a true custom cabinet maker, so they customized a couple of the pieces for me (angled the back corner of two wall cabinets for my 45 degree corner).
    They also built my corner sink (another 45 degree corner) and used the DeWils doors and drawer fronts.

• Cloud Swift
    14 years ago

We had an excellent experience with DeWils cabinets like most of the posters above. They are really a semi-custom cabinet maker and it sounds like chairthrower's contractor expected custom rather than semi-custom. I guess my contractor's expectations were different to because he is use to working with semi-custom cabinets and DeWils. He had a portable table saw on site to rip trim pieces to height.

The cabinets arrived exactly as ordered. The only errors were due to one cabinet my contractor had misordered (ordered a drawer over door when we wanted full height door pull-out) and one where he misunderstood what we wanted and we didn't catch it on his drawings (a full height door on our prep sink cabinet when we wanted a false drawer front at the top to put an electrical outlet on). The replacement parts came very quickly.

Everything was well made and well packaged. Ours are natural cherry in their frameless line. When the cabinets arrived, we were impressed with the quality of the plywood used and with the construction. Even before installing, the individual cabinets were very strong and didn't rack when pressure was applied even though there is no face frame.

We customized all the drawer heights, height for the cabinet under our rangetop, oven cabinet and over fridge cabinet. We had our contractor ask them about how drawer inside height correlated to drawer front height (which is what you order) and he had no problem getting the answer to that question. The rest was ordered from their standard offerings.

I have a 12" pull-out cabinet for oils, vinegars and other bottled items next to my rangetop and love it too.