Software
Houzz Logo Print
sienna2009_gw

went to ikea today - need help with pull-out broom closet

11 years ago

Hello -
I went to ikea today and have come close to designing my kitchen.. but there is a pipe along the wall between my fridge and stove. As a result there has to be at least a 6 inch gap between the two. I have a small kitchen so I was hoping to make use of the space by having a thin pull-out broom closet. I've seen posts on this web site and others about an ikea hacked pull-out broom closet, but when I asked the folks at ikea today they had no idea and had no suggestions other than to move the stove even further away and add a 15 inch pull-out broom closet. this would be fine if I have a huge kitchen but there is no way I can spare that amount of space for a broom. Any suggestions on how to do a thin pull-out - the pics Ive seen usually have a pegboard pull out and broom can be hung.
Thanks!!!

Comments (7)

  • 11 years ago

    You're thinking of the broom closet StacyLu and others created in a 5" space - you have the perfect space! The only question I have is how deep will that space be? You may have to do some additional "hacking".

    Normally, I would send you to IkeaFans where all the details are/were, but since that website has been pulled, I can't point you there. I have the pictures of what was done, but, unfortunately, not the text. It will take me a few minutes to find them, though. I'll be back! :-)

  • 11 years ago

    I'm very interested to see this too! I made a last minute change to my layout which resulted in a 5-6" gap between a closet and my fridge. It's the perfect place to store a broom and mop and I'd love to see a way to "hide" them!

  • 11 years ago

    buehl: thank you yes - I think that is exactly what I am talking about. It would be flush with the cabinet on top of the fridge so the depth would be 24 inches from the wall if that is what you are asking. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!!!

  • 10 years ago

    Hi, are there instructions anywhere for this pull out cabinet? Did you use IKEA pieces or build from scratch? This is exactly what I've been trying to find and have had no luck until I saw this! Thanks in advance!

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Alysonosullivan...this is a something you build from scratch. Anyone with intermediate DIY skills or a handyman could build it.

    If you study the pictures above, I think you will be able to figure it out. I also found information in a web archive from JGSearls - hopefully it will help as well.

    .

    From
    IKEAFans: JGSearls

    Moderator

    Location:
    Hamden, Connecticut, USA

    Local
    IKEA: USA-New Haven

    Door
    Style: Adel Medium Brown

    http://web.archive.org/web/20070630030541/http://www.ikeafans.com/forums/modifications/2085-pull-out-broom-closet.html

    ==============================================================

    OK...so Tony didn't love making this
    broom closet. He said it would have been much easier in a shop but he did a
    great job.

    Here's the opening for the space. It's
    approximately 9-1/2" of dead space. Well...we cannot have dead space in my
    kitchen. Plus, it was bugging me that I wasn't going to have a broom and
    dustpan somewhere close to where most of the messes would be made.


    Using plywood, Tony constructed a box that fits
    in the space. A box with no floor. It basically went along the side of the
    fridge, along the top at approximately the same height as the fridge and then
    along the wall.

    .

    Then he constructed the box for the pull-out. That box was a
    rectangular cube with one side open like this. The yellow shaded area
    represents the open part. This box was also made out of plywood.

    .

    .

    He cut a tall cover panel (88", in our
    case) to make the front of the closet. He also cut down cover panels (and toe
    kicks) to go along the top of the box and along the bottom. He also reinforced
    the box by placing more plywood cross-wise along the short section of the box
    at the top and bottom. He attached the peg board to the plywood box.

    He ended up having to use
    heavy duty drawer slides along the bottom and top of the box because it's
    pretty heavy.

    .

    .

    .

    The closed closet. He was originally planning on
    having the closet lie flush with the wall but the wall was very wavy. He ended
    up cutting some more off the cover panel to make a small return for the box. It
    covers the wavy wall and finishes off the box.

  • 10 years ago

    You might also check Rev-A-Shelf or other cabinet accessory makers to see if they have a (standard) 6"W or so pullout with pegboards that could be used.