Software
Houzz Logo Print
fratantoniluxuryestates

Need help with dining room floor!

The following picture is a floor we designed and built a while back.

Clients are interested in a similar look. What are your thoughts on the floor of this particular project?

What do you like most?

Mediterranean Dining Room · More Info
Tile/Wood Combo
Color of tile
Color of wood

Comments (21)

  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I think the wood and tile combo is a luxurious look for this style of home! If your client's home is similiar style...or they are trying to get the style, I think it is right on target. Of course lighting and decor will need to coordinate to achieve the right atmosphere.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    @Cynthia Hines

    Thank you for your well thought out response. Our clients are looking for the same feeling this area gives.

    Best Wishes & Happy Holidays
    Vince Fratantoni
    480-650-0223
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Fabulous... Good luck Vince!
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    This is a stunning floor! It is a very high-end, rich look that makes such a statement in the space. I love it!
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    @Olldbobbi

    That's a great point to consider when creating floors with Tile/Wood.

    I will make sure my client's know and understand that!

    Best Wishes & Happy Holidays
    Vince Fratantoni
    480-650-0223
  • 13 years ago
    Vince, when we first moved in here almost two years ago the tile/wood floor was already here. The previous owner had 6 large dogs and no housekeeping skills. It took the two of us six full weekends to scrub dirt over wax over dirt off the tiles. When we FINALLY finished I resealed the tiles. Now I use a Hoover FloorMate floor scrubbing machine on the floor and Hoover recommends using ONLY their floor cleaning product. The biggest problem I have is that the tile sits a bit higher than the wood; and even though the FloorMate vacuums up the dirty water, it puddles on the oak.

    Also, this floor is in my kitchen and dining room. The outlet behind the fridge failed twice and the fridge had to be moved, which scraped the oak. I refinished the oak the first time we moved the fridge and now I have to do it again.

    All these things have to be considered!!! My last comment would be I wouldn't recommend dark wood flooring to anyone, it's a bear to keep dirt and dust free!
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    @Olldbobbi

    I appreciate you letting us know your experience with tile/wood flooring!

    We are actually doing a project right now that has tile/wood flooring and my tile guy actually showed me how they match up the tile to meet up to the wood so that it matches up evenly, avoiding the gap that it sounds like your experiencing.

    Where is your home located?

    Best Wishes & Happy Holidays
    Vince Fratantoni
    480-650-0223
    VinceFrata@Gmail.com
  • 13 years ago
    I like the look and it sounds like it should be in a living room where it doesn't get high traffic.
  • 13 years ago
    Vince, I'm in Northern California. You know, you might think about replacing the wood with the porcelain wood-look tiles to make the maintenance easier on the homeowner. I have samples of these tiles and you cannot tell the difference between them. I wrote to the company who sent me the samples and they tell me they're food safe, so eventually, one day, I hope to install them on my kitchen counters. Butcher block look without the fuss!
  • 13 years ago
    I love this look and always have! Have never lived with it however. There is a business/shop in Charleston, SC that has these floors. A little more rustic style than what you have pictured, but I loved them!
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    This is a classic and timeless look!
    We have done several different versions of the wood and stone floor concept. It is a unique way to tie in different flooring materials throughout a home.

    Here are a few examples of some completed projects and works in progress-Rustic, Contemporary, and Traditional looks.

    We have had alot of fun designing these rooms.

    Torry Manzo
    Renaissance Kitchen and Home
  • 13 years ago
    Sometimes I like the "dual tone materials" look.....For my personal use, I LOVE beautiful materials but don't care for space with too much activity so when I use a floor like this I would like it to be either a compliment or a focal point. I personally would be more likely to pick the wood or the tile and then complete the space w/other applicatations - like lighting, ceiling, furniture, etc.
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    My sister has a similar combination of the tile and wood and it does look super classy! It geats a lot of traffic but the only thing that we have to do is Vacuum it and it works out great!! I think that you should keep the Tile/Wood Combo
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    It also scales down by going to smaller tile and thinner wood inserts. Last one I did I used engineered wood with the tongue trimmed off.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    you should consider giving the floor some pantina and an antiqued look to convey authenticity. The stone tiles can be aged with a rough finish. The wood could also be hand chamfered to add a human touch.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Wow, blown away by the responses on this. I appreciate everyone's response to this and will be overlooking everyone's thoughts and idea's before my next meeting with our clients!

    Anyone have any thoughts on the +'s / -'s of engineered wood??

    Best Wishes & Happy Holidays,
    Vince Fratantoni
    480-650-0223
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Engineered hardwood is a beautiful, versatile product that is defined by the thickness of the wear layer. Most high-end engineered hardwoods only have 2-4mm of "hardwood" surface. The rest is made up of less costly materials. The wear layer is key. The thicker the wear layer the more times it can be refinished. The lower end floors can only be refinished x2 (sanding, staining, etc). This means that these types of floors become "disposable". You can only work with these floors for so many years before they HAVE to be replaced! If your clients are on the cutting edge of fashion and will be looking to redesign their home (floor to ceiling) every 5-10 years, then engineered hardwood floors are AWESOME! Very little of the product is the "hardwood". The rest is local woods that are used to make up the rest of the plank.

    A bonus to working with engineered hardwood is some of them are able to be laid over top radiant in-floor heating systems (hydronic only). This is something that hardwoods rarely can handle.

    BTW: Gorgeous look with the stone-wood flooring! If you can get away with it, I would go with the stone and "faux" wood tile! I'm going to guess that a client with this type of budget will be able to afford cleaning staff. I always worry when "staff" are given the instructions for cleaning a floor that they don't care about. The chances of someone else cleaning/hurting this type of flooring is very high (the wood+stone application). With a stone+tile application you can get away with the look as well as the ease of maintenance. Of course, the final decision is the owner's.

    As for scratches when moving fridge/stove - you may want to use furniture glides. The cups that fit under the feet of appliances. They have felt on the bottom of the cups and would prevent any damage when moving heavy furnishings. You would leave these in place so that the fridge/stove can be moved without destroying wood!
  • 13 years ago
    Grandiosa combinación elegante
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Cancork floors has a great suggestion by going with wood look tile and stone or stone look tile.
    It is a great look and easy to maintain. There are many different colors and styles of materials out there now so the combinations could be endless.
    I have specified this for several clients and the results were fabulous!

    Torry Manzo
    Renaissance Kitchen & Home
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Thanks everyone for the help! Client's loved all of the feedback.

    If you or someone you know is currently needing help with a project, big or small, we would be more than happy to help. Call us today at 480-650-0223 or email us at VinceFrata@Gmail.com

    Have a wonderful day!
    Vince Fratantoni