Software
Houzz Logo Print
waterchick

Bathroom Floor

11 years ago
I've got a height differential problem between my bathroom and existing hardwood floors. And I really need some help!

When they built this house, they installed the hardwood floors directly into the 1x6 plankings. But in the bathroom, they laid down 1/2" plywood and then put linoleum. The floors ended up being flush.

We ripped out the old 1/2" plywood and were about to replace it, then install our cement board (likely 1/4" since 1/2" would raise it even further). But it's going to raise our bathroom height beyond the hardwood floors.

I already bought 3/8" Statuary tile (6x12 and 3x6 sizes). I have 1/2" to work with here from the existing plankings you can see in this photo.

Is there anyway to lay this tile so that it is flush with the existing hardwood flooring?

I thought perhaps the Schluter ditra system would work, since it's only 1/8" thick. We toyed around with removing the 1x6 plankings and just putting down 3/4" plywood in it's place. But I fear that isn't sturdy enough in the long haul. It seems everything I have read requires plankings, then plywood layers before adhering cement board and tile.

Help!

Comments (11)

  • 11 years ago

    Just use a marble threshold. No problem.

  • 11 years ago
    Yeah but I don't want a transition piece though.

    I want both finished floors to be at the same height.

    I've come this far....there has to be a solution to this problem?
  • 11 years ago
    Thank you Cancork Floor. It is the nature of the beast, especially with an older home being renovated here. And yes you are right--in time, this won't even matter. This is our first flip and after this project, all that is left is the kitchen to remodel.

    I likely care way too much about details such as these. But I figure, I came this far and pretty much am rebuilding this bathroom--might as well do it right if possible. If there was a way to make it flush, I was willing to do it. But recognize that the new buyers likely won't even bat an eyelid at this when touring the home.

    This isn't our forever house...but we do have smaller children and they trip on everything--even their own feet!

    Another idea someone brought up today was just bull nosing the tiles that edge up against the hardwood. I haven't really thought long and hard about that idea yet. Just asking as many people as I can for advice before pulling the trigger.

    Thank you for your time and expertise. I really do value the community here at Houzz and when experts like yourself can share knowledge, it really helps people like ourselves doing DIY projects.
  • 11 years ago
    And btw--if I do just put down 1/2" plywood to replace what I ripped up, I will definitely be above a 1/2" height difference. At minimum, I should put down 1/4" cement board, then my 3/8" tile. Adding in the thinset, I am easily 3/4" out.

    I read online that the Schluter Ditra is 1/8" thick, even after you fill it with thinset. So if I use that, then I don't have to install the cement board, but that brings me to a 1/2" height difference.

    This of course is if we tile it "perfectly".

    Not sure if spending that extra money on the Schluter ditra is worth it just to shave 1/4" off that height. And the, still end up with a reducer at the end of it all.
  • 11 years ago

    I don't think you are going to get any different advice than you have gotten here, but the John Bridge Tile Forum is full of experts that have a lot of experience. http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1

  • PRO
    11 years ago

    The absolute minimum thickness that you can put on the planks is 1/2" plywood. That would be after you securely screwed the planks to the joists. There is not another option without removing the planks. You can not put concrete board or Ditra on the planks. You can set tile on the 1/2" exterior grade exposure 1 plywood. Fasten with deck screws (not drywall screws). Fasten at least 6" through the field and 4" on the perimeter. Use a premium modified thinset such as laticrete #254 . Sorry but the height difference is unavoidable. I would use a tapered wood threshold to ease the transition. I hope this was helpful.

    .

  • 11 years ago
    Thank you CreativeTile. I appreciate the detailed response. Yes what you describe is what I think we will likely do.

    Question: I talked to the tile company who I purchased the tile from, explaining the situation. He threw out an idea which no one else has suggested. I'm hesitant to explore it even further as it's being placed straight on the planks, which doesn't seem right.

    Anyways he said, "I just talked to one of the most knowledgeable tile brains I know, this is what he said.

    "A qualified installer can "float" directly on top of the 1x6 planks (no plywood necessary). That should give them the necessary room. If the installer says "no" than they can "float" and use a marble transition piece which would look great and not be noticeable."

    Anyways, if any previous tile pros have any comments on that idea, I would love to hear your thoughts. My gut feels this isn't right--it most definitely will cause cracking of the stone tile or grout over time.

    Thoughts?
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    The minimum thickness for floating a mortar bed over plywood is 1-1/4" according to the TCNA handbook. (Tile Council Of North America) specification #F141-13. Plywood is more rigid than planks. You mentioned stone. If a soft stone is being used such as marble I may even consider using 3/4" plywood and adjusting the threshold. A rigid substrate is the priority over height variations. As mentioned above the stone can be bullnosed at the doorway which is a nice look but if your using a soft stone it is not durable and I personally would prefer to protect the edge with a transition piece. Hopefully helpful and not causing further confusion.

  • 11 years ago

    There is absolutey nothing wrong with a standard marble saddle as a transition. You are making a mountain out of an inconsequential normal everyday molehill. And for a flip? You REALLY need to understand Cost vs Value here, or you're going to lose buckets of money. Cost vs Value

  • 11 years ago
    Thanks Creative Tile! I appreciate the added feedback and will be pulling the trigger after all the great feedback we've received from various sources.

    To be honest, floating seems too risky with what we have down there. We considered removing the planks. It wouldn't take long to do at all. They originally installed 3/4" planking, so it doesn't come close to the standards you quoted (thanks for that btw--that sways me entirely).

    The entryway into the bathroom has the most movement on the board, which my husband is going to reinforce between the joists just to give it the least amount of movement. Neither of us are overweight, so it's minimal movement when stepped on. But, if stood on by someone who is, I do question if that would/could be an issue down the line.

    As for the stone being soft, yes it's statuary (6x12 and 3x6). So the bullnose idea is off. Unfortunately, as you said it's the nature of the beast. Maybe when we get to build a a custom home for ourselves, we can get our seamless floors (a girl can dream!).

    Thanks again for your advice and sharing your knowledge. I really appreciate the kind comments from Tile Pros such as yourself.