Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cdrangula

Beveled and un-beveled subway tile backsplash in kitchen

Chris
9 years ago

Hi, I want to use beveled and un-beveled subway tile for the backsplash in my kitchen like this design - it's mentioned by the designer, but I can't zoom into see the pattern. I was thinking of just alternating beveled and then unleveled and stacking them at the mid-way point. Is this a good idea? Has anyone ever done a design like this or have any advice?

https://www.houzz.com/photos/fresh-traditional-aurora-il-kitchen-design-and-remodel-traditional-kitchen-chicago-phvw-vp~3114248

These are the tiles I bought:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Jeffrey-Court-Concorde-Dawn-Beveled-3-in-x-6-in-x-8-mm-Ceramic-Wall-Tile-1-pk-8-pcs-1-sq-ft-3-55-lb-99507/202663554

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Jeffrey-Court-Allegro-3-in-x-6-in-White-Ceramic-Wall-Tile-8-pieces-1-pack-99501/202663548

Fresh Traditional Aurora IL Kitchen Design and Remodel · More Info

Comments (27)

• jodyanns
    9 years ago

Don't use both bevel and unbevel. Remember the deeper the "insets" between the tiles the harder to clean. Either tile will look great.

• Chris
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I should mention too that I have super white quartzite being installed and am going to paint my shaker style cabinets BM simply white. The island is slate gray and the walls will be pebble beach BM. here is the tile in my proposed design on the floor. Any thoughts? Should I just stick with all beveled or do you like this combining. I laid them out on the floor and took a couple pictures - the bottom picture should be turned clockwise once I don't know why it loaded that way. I wish the designer had answered my question about how they used beveled and un-beveled in this kitchen I just love it!

• Chris
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It doesn't seem like this would be so hard to clean. I like the beveled more - I thought combining might add interest.

• jodyanns
    9 years ago

I don't see a combination in that picture. This white tile doesn't look like floor tile. Also, if you are having white cabinets and a grayish counter, why don't you do a gray, white transparent and solid glass tile. The sheets that are sold in square feet with different types of tile would really look great.

• Chris
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi, I really love all white subway tile. My quartzite is white with some gray running through. See attached pic of a slab.

It's not floor tile - they are 3 X 6 beveled and un-beveled alternating (the pictures I took are laid out on the floor) The Houzz kitchen I showed is where I got the idea - the designer says in the heading beveled and un-beveled subway tiles but never explains how she laid them out - and I can't zoom in on the picture.

• myspiritanimalisthecolorblue
    9 years ago
    You could also do them in horizontal stripes of beveled and unbeveled tile, or arrange them randomely. Since you can't see what's in the picture, my advice is to just do whatever looks good to you.
  • Ed Weaver
    9 years ago
    What is the countertop name in this picture?
  • Darzy
    9 years ago

I think the beveled an non beveled will look quite interesting. It is hard to tell on the inspiration photo how it's installed. But, it sort of looks like straight tile on the bottom, then 3 rows of beveled, then straight again? Sort of a band strip of beveled in the middle?

I don't think just rotating the tile with straight/beveled/straight/beveled is the way to go. Play around on the floor some more and try the "band" of beveled in the center. Then, maybe stick with one type of tile for above the stove. I think you are on to something quite interesting looking, yet "simple".

• Chris
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I feel like I am going to have enough gray in the room between pebble beach walls, the island and the quartzite. The remaining cabinets are going to be simply white and I think that will create a nice balance with also white backsplash - part of me thinks go with all beveled, but I like your comment about changing up shapes - that was my idea. Here is my island, this is all just beginning!

• Chris
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Darzy I like your idea - I should play with this more. What do you mean a band strip in the middle?

• Chris
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ed, my counter top (the slab shown) is super white Quartzite - I think that's the same stone in my inspiration photo.

• jodyanns
    9 years ago

If everything in the area is solid white it doesn't make any difference which tiles you use. It sounds like a hospital. I just mentioned the other tiles to make the white pop.

• Melissa
    9 years ago
    I think the beveled and un-beveled look really good together. What a great idea!
    Chris thanked Melissa
  • Chris
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I guess it's just taste. I love the look of all white cabinets and white subway tile - it makes me happy! Remember my island is gray and my stone has a lot more gray than this photo. I will have pops of blue too to compliment tile that is in my butler pantry right next to the kitchen.

Buena Vista Residence - Open Kitchen · More Info

• sandradclark
    9 years ago

Use either the flat subway or the beveled, please don't mix them. It will look like you didn't have enough of one so you mixed them up. Also depending on the style of your kitchen you can lay them vertically end-to-end. This is a more contemporary look. Don't mix them up though.

• sandradclark
    9 years ago

They also can be laid in a chevron pattern, however when this is done I think it is more effective when the subways have a marble striation.

• Chris
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I wish I knew how this designer used both because it does not look like she didn't have enough. I am going to do horizontal just like the inspiration photo - the pics I took just uploaded sideways. I am so confused now - if I use one kind i'm going with beveled, but I would love to copy that inspiration design.

• rocketjcat
    9 years ago
    Love the idea of mixing the tiles! I think it looks really good, just the way you have them laid out. I think the look would be 'soft' for lack of a better word. Not sure i would like them in alternating bands...I think that would look busier, and a little bit in competition for attention with that beautiful countertop. Just my opinion.
    Chris thanked rocketjcat
  • Darzy
    9 years ago

I mean a "band" of three rows of the beveled (in the middle of the space above the counter and below the cabinets) with the straight tile above and below the beveled "band". Then, just straight above the stove. It may or may not look great, but worth a shot to play around with.

Chris thanked Darzy
  • Chris
    Original Author
    9 years ago

got you. I just tried that I think I like the scattered better. I might just stick with plain beveled -- I am going to take your advice and play around. Thanks!

• Jayne M
    9 years ago

Good for you. All white is classic and never goes out of style. I had a 1920s home and the bath still had the original white subway tile. And it still looked good.

• Darzy
    9 years ago

Yes, I think in the long run, you'll be happier with one style. I like the beveled a lot but with the movement in your quartzite I think the simple white subway would be best. If you had no movement in the counter, I'd definitely vote the beveled.

• newranch
    9 years ago

Chris, I clicked on your inspiration photo and then clicked the link for Drury Designs and looked at that kitchen in their portfolio. On my computer, I was able to zoom in well enough to see that the entire backsplash looks like only beveled tile - to me anyway. I used the same beveled tile (in pearl) in my kitchen and it looks just like that backsplash. It's possible that they may have given the incorrect info regarding that backsplash in the Q&A section for that photo. They clearly do a lot of kitchens and may have confused that one with another. Your kitchen sounds like it will be beautiful at any rate, so go with what you like and can see with your own eyes, and you will be happy.

By the way, I love my backsplash. We used White Spring granite which is light, but with lots of veining and the backsplash looks great. The bevels provide some texture and shadow play even in bright daylight, which is quite lovely.

Chris thanked newranch
  • Chris
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you so much! that was really nice of you to loo for me - I had a suspicion as well because all my eye sees is beveled tiles. I am going all beveled. I ordered the new tiles already. Thanks for all the input and help making this decision I feel like it's the right one.

• Cynthia Allred
    6 years ago
    I looked up that picture and expanded it and it clearly looks to me that all of the tiles are beveled. The designer who worked on the project also stated that they were beveled. Personally, I would not mix flat and beveled tiles.
  • Devin Burnett
    3 years ago

Do you have an update of what you decided? I have left over tiles from another project - half beveled and half plain and I would like to try to mix them somehow. Anyone that has done this and can upload pics?