Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tek426

Should we paint our kitchen cabinets white?

Tae Kim
9 years ago
My wife and I are considering redoing our kitchen, but disagree on a few fundamental points.

1. She thinks that it would look really bad if we just painted the cabinets white without also redoing the backsplash and countertops to something more contemporary.

2. I think we could easily get away with just painting the cabinets white and leaving our perfectly fine backsplash/countertops. More bang for the buck.

3. She thinks that if we paint the cabinets white, the white would overpower the kitchen and make it feel sterile. She also thinks that a white kitchen may not match the rest of the house.

4. I think there's enough contrast with the floor, chairs, etc that it would be fine. Further, I think it looks weird now, with everything else white and the dated oak kitchen imposing in middle of our open floor plan.

5. She thinks white cabinets won't pay off if we decide to eventually sell and may even decrease the value, since "some people like the look of wood."

6. I think white cabinets are timeless and would give the entire area a nice clean look.

I asked her if we could paint the cabinets white first, then if she still hated the existing backsplash and countertops, we could always redo them later. She insists that we should do everything at the same time.

Please provide us with some objective, third-party perspective!

Thanks

Comments (22)

• Kristi Traynor
    9 years ago
    I'm a fan of traditional white kitchens. I don't think painting your cabinets will decrease the value of your home unless you don't do it right. Your backsplash and countertops are fine. I see that you have a lot of white in the rest of your home and bringing in some more color throughout the house would prevent it from feeling sterile. Others on Houzz will disagree with paining the cabs but I've done it before and sold the house and loved the finished product. If there was one more thing to update at this time I would do the flooring. The beige isn't doing you any favors. It just looks kinda dirty to me. With white cabs it will look even dirtier. Check out grey slate tile or drake faux wood tile. You can stay transitional with either choice.
  • everdebz
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I wouldn't have thought darker cabinets, but lucidos' photo works for me... also allows architectural elements, etc. to 'come forward' with cabs a bit more neutral?

• jhmarie
    9 years ago

Since you have no other wood in the kitchen I agree with your wife that white may look cold. Consider a wood floor if you paint the cabinets white. From the pictures your cabinets look good. Painting will neither increase nor decrease the value - unless done poorly, then they will decrease. Homeowner painted cabinets sometimes come out nice - other times they don't. I can usually spot a home owner painted kitchen when looking at homes.

Wood moves with temp and humidity which can cause small cracks in the paint at the joints in the wood. Factory made painted cabinets are often MDF or MDF with wood combination, or paint grade wood. Also, as your cabinets are oak, the grain texture will show through the paint (see pic). It doesn't bother some, but it does bother others. The white does require more work to keep clean - but again that doesn't bother some people. You will not have those problems if you re-stain.

Who uses the kitchen the most in your home? If it is your wife, then let her keep her wood cabinets. They are not as "dated" as you think - they still sell that style in the kitchen centers. Perhaps you have been watching to much HGTV?

• Tae Kim
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks for the comments this far. Very helpful. @lucido, nice color mock of the darker stain. could you mock them with white cabinets so I can better visualize what it may look like?
  • lucidos
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

But of course!

and Green for S&G.

• intown123
    9 years ago
    Compromise? Example below. I agree I don't see a bright white working in here as well. I think you need a warm white or cream if you paint and even then it does look like it could be overwhelming.
    http://houzz.com/photos/2520243
  • Carol Johnson
    9 years ago
    White is too stark, but I think an off white or cream would work well. Keep the island dark.
  • PRO
    Cabinets 4U, Inc.
    9 years ago

I don't think you could go wrong with white! Why are white kitchens top for 2015? Here’s a
    great article: Top
    for 2015

• Jody
    9 years ago
    I like the contrast of the darker cabinets.
  • Tae Kim
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thanks for all the responses everyone. Looks like we'll be leaving the cabinets alone for now. Happy wife, happy life.
  • lucidos
    8 years ago

You both made valid points. I also think you both agree that the cabinets need "something". If you need more of a visual for your kitchen get white sheets and tack them up over the cabinets. If you aren't moving in the foreseeable future wait and see where the trends take us in the next year or so.

You have a wonderful space and have choosen your decor well. Enjoy it for what it is for now. I haven't meet the perfect home yet.

• suezbell
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Update -- painted yet?

Anything painted will, inevitably, need repainting and will look awful as it gets that way. Wood in good condition with a natural wood finish shouldn't be painted -- it will decrease the value of your home.

All white cabinets are stark and sterile looking but a pain in the back to keep clean in any kitchen that is actually used.

One caveat: You could paint the base cabinet that creates your island any color you want without doing real harm to the value of your home, both because it already doesn't match your other really nice kitchen cabinets and because, absent plumbing, replacing an island bar (even with electrical outlets) is not only a less costly reno, it is a lot less disruptive and less problematic project for someone living in the home than redoing the rest of the kitchen cabinets.

To decide what color to paint the island bar base cabinet, look at the other colors you've chosen for painting and furnishing your home. In all candor, and except for your beautiful kitchen cabinets, your entire home living area seems to be whites and neutrals -- almost too bland and sterile to feel inviting. From the pic, it's not clear on my screen whether your sofa is white or an extremely pale blue.

I've seen both fireplace surrounds and island bar base cabinets painted a beautiful blueish/gray -- together they link the great room created by living/dining/kitchen all as one room.

You might consider some vertical vinyl blinds for the kitchen window and paint the base cabinet of the island bar and your fireplace surround and your supporting posts in the living area all that same color.

https://www.google.com/search?q=blue+fireplace+surround&biw=1366&bih=673&tbm=isch&imgil=cw_WjWasVMeW6M%253A%253BOJ1kVrPXShOkDM%253Bhttps%25253A%25252F%25252Fwww.pinterest.com%25252Fabbieraine%25252Fpainted-fireplace-mantels%25252F&source=iu&pf=m&fir=cw_WjWasVMeW6M%253A%252COJ1kVrPXShOkDM%252C_&usg=__hYHekQHceWplmUt4yOBfpQQLLsI%3D&ved=0CCgQyjdqFQoTCMnY9rHszcgCFco5Pgodl24MRA&ei=g4UkVomLDsrz-AGX3bGgBA#imgrc=cw_WjWasVMeW6M%3A&usg=__hYHekQHceWplmUt4yOBfpQQLLsI%3D

Ditto in gray.

[https://www.houzz.com/photos/kitchen-transitional-rendering-manchester-phvw-vp~37141662[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/kitchen-transitional-rendering-manchester-phvw-vp~37141662)

• Tae Kim
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    thanks for the feedback! we decided to leave the cabinets although oddly enough, just today I was again wondering what they would look like in an off white.
  • PRO
    Hal Braswell Consulting
    8 years ago
    White cabinets don't decrease home value. Nor do they make it harder to clean the kitchen --the dust or grime is going to be there regardless of color, it may be be more noticeable which IMO is a good thing since it will hopefully prompt someone to clean it.

White does not have to be sterile. What is more important than cabinet finish is the total color palette. Right now there is little contrast between floor and cabinets. IMO either the floor or the cabinet finish needs change, that is why the dark cabinets look so much better against the floor. I would change floor. If keeping wood look on cabinets would do a darker stone look for floor. If cabinets are painted use wall color to provide warmth.
  • Tonia Tussey
    8 years ago
    Good choice on leaving them alone. I totally agree with your wife! Your kitchen looks very nice!
  • PRO
    RE/MAX Associates
    8 years ago

I love your kitchen. I would consider painting them a dark brown or black (match darkest color in granite ) and distress the edges to give it an antique look.

• K Hill
    8 years ago

I saw your picture and thought you might like a visual. I have very similar granite and backsplash (bad lighting, sorry) and recently painted my cabinets alabaster white. I love how easy to clean they are! If you did it, I would leave your island dark.

• Gloria H.
    8 years ago
    Your kitchen is beautiful. I would maybe change the hardware to oil rub bronze and get some super cool updated light fixtures over the island to give it a wow factor. I wouldn't paint your cabinets. Who knows how long white will stay in favor. I am seeing beautiful woods in model homes again.
  • teamaltese
    8 years ago
    Actually, I think changing the backsplash would be the simplest and least expensive change. Everything in your kitchen is the same color, and the same tone of color. I would change out the tumbled marble tile for a glass or ceramic tile that picks up the lightest color of your granite, a cream, that will provide some contrast for all the brown, and some reflective shine.
  • alicejean
    8 years ago
    If you decide to paint, consider a creamy white carrying in the tone of your mantle. I think it would work well with your existing floor, granite, and backsplash.
  • papillon2
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Well, as you can see, the suggestions are all over the board. I'll add my suggestion to create further confusion. I think white/off white cabinets with a dark chocolate glaze would be perfect. The glaze settles into the cracks, and relieves the sterile look of white by itself. It would draw the cabinets together with the island, and blend the backsplash with the cabinets.