Software
Houzz Logo Print
radhika_raghuraman

Need help in Pendant light spacing over an 8foot island.

13 years ago
Calling Houzz experts to the rescue AGAIN :) jokes apart...the rest of the house has been so easy ...the kitchen has been the most difficult from choosing materials to colors to now fixtures :)

So we have a 8 foot wide by 4foot island. I am planning on putting 2 blown glass pendants that are 12 inches in diameter. this one in particular http://www.lumens.com/Tribeca-Pendant-by-Sonneman/uu461702/product. Right now its wired at 2 feet from either sides.
1) Do you think that is too far apart? If i do the math right, it should be 32 inches from either ends?
and a related but a different question. I also have wiring done for sconce above the sink. Thinking of putting the torpedo sconce from restoration hardware...2 of them.
2) Does the pendant light and sink light need to be similar in shape? One is round and the other is conical? but they both have black metal finish. I have metal drum pendants and furnitures with metal stands and I am thinking the metal finish should be able to tie it all together?
as usual your input is appreciated.

Comments (32)

  • 13 years ago
    a look at the kitchen.
  • 13 years ago
    I have an 8x5' island, with three pendants, spaced about 2' apart and 16" from the edges of the island on each side. The pendants measure about 7" in diameter.
  • 13 years ago
    Thank you. Do you have a photo that I can see.
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    This is my island (bottom image). I'm not crazy about the current pendants (builder's pick) but there are three. I was just reading about an 'unwritten' design rule, about repeating things in three's.

    https://www.houzz.com/magazine/kitchen-islands-pendant-lights-done-right-stsetivw-vs~158689
  • 13 years ago
    Your kitchen is beautiful. I like how everything is centered. If you look at mine the island is not centered to where the range hood will eventually go. Also the fixture is big...the smallest is 10inch in diameter and the large is 12 inch. Not sure if 3 of them in that space would be too much? May be i can get 2 Large ones. I am still not sure how to space 2 pendants over the island. Should the space between the lights be Greater than Between the edges?
  • 13 years ago
    Thanks! Maybe one of the designers or lighting experts will chime in here.

    In measuring mine, I think it could handle three 10" pendants like those -- because of the clear glass bowl -- visually they wouldn't appear as large. I'm not sure what should be done to handle the off-centeredness. In any case, I think the pendants you've chosen are beautiful and your kitchen is going to be amazing!
  • 13 years ago
    Thanks Kdeley...hoping to have lighting experts here chime in.
  • 13 years ago
    If you google pendant light placement there are various sites that recommend placement. We just put pendant lights over an 8 ft island that has a stove in the center. We used 2 beautiful pendants from CXNY . The website is beautiful and the owner is extremely knowledgable wit suggestions . The lights are about 13 inches in size with equal spacing from each end and they look look perfect...sort of kitchen jewelry. I wanted substantial but clear so that view from attached family room would not be hampered. They hang 30" above countertop...my choice ,although 36 " is also a common length. The reflection on the ceiling is art in itself. Check out the website. I looked at every pendant light on Houzz before choosing
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    mcbride2304.....thank you so much. I did google a lot for pendant placement...and majority of them talks about how I need to have 3 for a 8 foot island. Both hubby and i want two and didn't want any obstruction and hence the fixture we selected has that clear glass globe. I did't see much info on hanging 2 pendant lights. WHen you say you spaced them equally..do u mean they are approx 32 inch frm the edges and 32 inch between them? again....would love to see a pic of your kitchen if you happen to have one.

    The site you mentioned makes beautiful lights. You are right, the reflection above is gorgeous. Would be gorgeous above a soaking tub or somewhere relaxing :) if you look at gallery in the site...the 2 pendants over the island seems to have more space between them compared to the edges. This is what throws me off. http://www.cxny.com/project_gallery/installations. should the ratio be 1:2:1 or 1:1:1?
  • 13 years ago
    I just measured and each pendant is about 25 inches from the edge of the island. The space in the middle is about 38 inches but that is where our stove is so it balances. I agonized as you are but liked the size of these lights and 2 are plenty. I have brushed nickel posts not chains. I wish I knew how to post a picture. The key to your choice will depend on the size of the pendants. If they are small,6 inches or so you will probably need 3. Much of what I read, and I read everything, had no clear consensus. Hang cardboard pieces...that helped us decide.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    This pendant light design was inspired by a boutique extra virgin olive oil bottle.

    What do you think should we keep it on a custom order bases or stock it in our showrooms?

    Lighting with architectural stone and antiques (Mediterranean Style) · More Info
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    We put 3 pendants over our 7' island (builder had specified 2 in his bid) but we stuck to our guns and I'm glad we did. I think two would have looked skimpy and since we use the area for most all or our prep work the 3rd light gives us more task lighting.
  • 12 years ago
    Lesley, love your pendants. Do you have info on make and model? Thanks!
  • 11 years ago
    @Kevin:
    Where is the centerline of the pendant strip with respect to the island? Are they right over the edge where the bar breaks down to the prep area?

    How wide (deep) is the bar counter (narrow dimension)?

    Thanks.
  • 11 years ago
    @Kevin How big are your pendants (diameter)?
  • 11 years ago
    stay within the width of the island leaving a bit on each side
    Kitchen Remodel · More Info
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Consider 24" in from each end and 33-34" above the countertop.
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    @csmith1424
    The work surface of the island is the normal 24" deep counter with a 16" W raised portion. The lights are centered over the 24" part of the counter. They are 26.75" from the ceiling to the bottom of the glass. They are 33" from the counter to the bottom of the glass. The middle one is centered on the island and the others are spaced 3' away from the center light. Hope this helps.
  • 11 years ago
    The lights can be different shape, but should be same finish. A ft counter I think 3 pendants might look better. Space so they are centered over counter. Love the lights you picked.
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    @ Megan Crosby-Thornton
    They are bell shaped and they are 7" diameter at the bottom.
  • 11 years ago

    I know this is an old chain but need help... I have a 75"X90" island and am undecided on whether it can handle 3 pendants, 12". They would definitely

    make a statement, shabby chic/french country kitchen. The problem with only having two is the lack of light. Thoughts?



  • 10 years ago

    @sfaith where did you find your pendants?

  • 10 years ago

    They are beautiful!

  • 9 years ago

    Radhika, I would love to see a pic of your kitchen. I have an 8.5 x 4 foot island and am using the same TriBeCa pendant. I want to put three though. I can't decide if I should go with the 10" or the 12". Also wondering if you are happy With them. I wish they had a downrod instead of just a wire.

  • 9 years ago

    I want to go w/ only 2 pendants as well over an 8' island. A kitchen designer had suggested this to me and I really like the idea of two larger pendants.

    Did you go w/ only 2? What did you decide for spacing? TIA! :)

  • 9 years ago
    Above pendant light:
    Ivory Scroll Distressed Pendant Light · More Info
  • 9 years ago

    Lesley Delle_Grazie - When you say your pendants are hung 2' in from either end of your island, do you mean 2' between the end of the island and the center of the fixture, or the outer edge of pendant shade? Thanks!

  • 7 years ago

    @kevin How close to the side of the bar are the lights on each side?

  • 7 years ago

    I found this to be helpful for us.

  • 6 years ago

    Hi Radhika, we are in the same dilemma now. How should we space out the 2 pendants!! Could you please share what you went with finally ? And would love to see a picture of the pendants on your island !! Thank you.

  • 5 years ago


    I have a similar situation. I am thinking of putting three of these 14" pendants above my 8x5 island. What do you think? Are they too big?