Software
Houzz Logo Print
pschuerenberg

Should I paint my island a color to spice up my look?

I have hardwood floors the same color as my cabinets. We have a very high ceiling about 2 more feet above my cabinets. The wall space is a creme color. I would love to paint my island a color. Help me please

Comments (42)

  • 13 years ago
    NO!!!!! I love your island. I wouldn't change a thing !!
  • 13 years ago
    If you would LOVE to paint them,. then go for it. This is what you really want to do! Your cabinets are very, very nice. A color would break up some of the wood tones. I would have the island professionally done, though. What color were you thinking?
  • 13 years ago
    Lighter? As in a white or off white or grey?
  • 13 years ago
    My kitchen is in the middle of my house. I see allot of rooms from my kitchen. My colors are changing in the other rooms to greys, tans, teals and corals. So I thought I'd just paint my kitchen walls a grey or taupe and paint my island a color like deep coral or Creme
  • 13 years ago
    What do you guys think?
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    Go for the cream and add coral accents that you can easily change at anytime. Grey or taupe walls will be great for the space also.
  • 13 years ago
    Yeah. That's what I was leaning towards. Thank you
  • 13 years ago
    I am for a lighter color...those are very nice cabinets and I would have a pro do it.
  • 13 years ago
    You are welcome. Can wait to see pictures !
  • 13 years ago
    A washed out cream with coral would look great. Antique looking
  • 13 years ago
    Yes. Thank you. I will be taking pictures. Thanks to you all!!! I do have a painter coming Don't worry I'm not doing this by myself.
  • 13 years ago
    Hi---yes, I think a cream hue would look fantastic. Beautiful kitchen.... Good Luck!
    [houzz=
    Whole House Renovation · More Info
    ][houzz=
    Whole House Renovation · More Info
    ]
  • 13 years ago
    These are beautiful cabinets and a beautiful kitchen. I feel like anitajoyce if you would LOVE to paint them - go for it but with the detail I too would get it professionally done. Think if you do, I would go for a color and one that is just as deep and rich as your cabinets, nothing too light. Would definitely have to go with the existing wood tones, and backsplash, perhaps coral or turquoise just as "eg's", but would check anything against the existing other wood to make sure it works. Might even want to think about painting the kitchen walls a more vibrant color as an option to bring more color rather than the island as a possibility.
  • 13 years ago
    It is scary for me stepping out of my conservative box. I do want a little spice. It will be pretty. Thank you all!!
  • 13 years ago
    Definitely do the glaze. I have seen beautiful wood like this painted and though everyone says not to do it, it came out great. I do agree, this kitchen was incredibly expensive but the color will be right from a magazine but don't trust us. With the money you must have and the money it will cost, I'd go to the local hardware store in the nearest upscale area and get the opinion of the paint specialist if it's a woman.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Will you be changing the top as well?
    If you do paint, go with both a cream and a glaze that ties your other cabinets together and looks well with the dark top if you're keeping that, so it doesn't look like it fell out of the sky. Stools, curtains, paint etc. can all pick up your beautiful coral.
  • 13 years ago
    I'm not painting the top. You can't see it, but it is a black granite. Gorgeous. Thank you.
  • 13 years ago
    No!!!


    If I were you, I would redo the counters and change the backsplash. Your cabinets are 5x the expense of lighter granite and the backsplash could be updated because it's kind of dated. Regardless, nice kitchen.

    If you are going to paint, I agree with the pictures above. An antique white with a carmel glaze (glaze is way better than no glaze - no glaze looks cheap), but be fore warned that your cabinets are expensive ($30K). Look at the trim and the different levels - this is not a cheap kitchen. If you change them by painting them you run into a couple issues: the painted + glaze is kind of trendy and may date your kitchen 10 years from now (new cabinets required), and the antique white can look dirty.
  • 13 years ago
    I want to do the same thing in my kitchen - change my island from brown stained cherry wood to a cream, slightly antiqued look. So, please post pics and details if you do,this. I think it will look great!
  • 13 years ago
    I don't know who made them. Thanks for asking.
  • 13 years ago
    I think the island painted in turquoise would be beautiful with floors and existing cabinets. Definitely get a professional to do the work. You are gonna love it!
  • 13 years ago
    Yeah!
  • 13 years ago
    I would never paint out those beautiful cabinets!
  • 13 years ago
    I'm beginning to see that more and more. Just wanted a change
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Your professional painter will know this - proper prep before painting is the most critical part of the job. I agree that you should definitely add a chocolate glaze if you choose to paint the island.

    However, if you paint the kitchen walls and add pretty runners or rugs, that might be enough. You may not feel you need to paint the island.

    Have you considered painting the ceiling, also?

    I would replace your two rugs that are in front of the stove with a patterned runner., Add a matching rectangular rug in the area at the side of the island. These would break up the look of so much wood.
    Custom length runners are also available through many carpet retail stores.

    You have a beautiful kitchen.
  • 13 years ago
    Thank you. Great ideas!
  • 13 years ago
    I would update your backsplash before I would paint that beautiful island. You might consider changing out the top on just the island. I would paint the walls a different color.

    [houzz=
    Rockaway Beach, Md · More Info
    ]

    [houzz= https://www.houzz.com/photos/2011-hhl-kitchen-contemporary-kitchen-phvw-vp~136023]
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    what color are the other counters?
  • 13 years ago
    The other counters are granite specks of black brown tan gray and white
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    pick a color other than brown ...I would also think about the range hood
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I would definately paint the Island to break up all the wood tones. Off White with slightly gray undertone. Bring colour into accent pieces! I find your wall colour a little too light...a darker tone on walls and paint crown moulding the same colour as island! BTW...beautiful kitchen!
  • 13 years ago
    Thank you so much. Yes I was thinking of painting the walls a medium gray. I have thought about the range being painted also.
  • 13 years ago
    Your backlash is not dated... I think people tend to use the word dated when it's not their taste. Your kitchen is a traditional showcase and could be even more glorified by painting your Island an exciting color such as turquoise or light buttercup color. If It were me I'd paint it terra cotta with a burnt sienna glaze over the top. This would bring out the rusty colors in the granite and backsplash tile. Then paint the crown molding a more contrasting color. Good luck!
  • 13 years ago
    Wow! That sounds beautiful. I will look into that! Thank you
  • 13 years ago
    I vote for a cream colored island with a glaze. You have a stunning kitchen! If you did nothing it would still be lovely.
  • 12 years ago
    Your kitchen is perfect as is! I am afraid any changes would diminish it's beauty!
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    I was referring to the top cabinets not the counter top.
  • 8 years ago

    I'm in the Paint it Cream camp!


  • 8 years ago
    2013 post!!
  • 8 years ago
    trying to post a photo of our kichen island. we had the painter paint & distress over stain. many layers & very durable. hope link works.
    Check out this photo from houzz - https://ml.houzz.com/AzGf/op50Y2IE1J
  • 8 years ago
    sorry, didnt work. pic is in my ideabooks in my 'home addition pics', untill i figure out how to post it.
Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County