Software
Houzz Logo Print
brookedark

Need exterior painting advice for my Seattle ranch home!

11 years ago

Hi all! I'm looking for advice on what to do with painting schemes for our 1970's Seattle-area ranch home. We bought the house 2 years ago and are now looking to give it a boost and get it out of the "country bumpkin" look. The siding is cedar, with brick around the front door. We are getting rid of the window boxes. My husband does not want to paint the house blue again, as he says it's an "unsellable" color. We were thinking of a grey-ish color, with dark charcoal shutters. We're also in the process of re-doing the landscaping in the front of the house, so please excuse the mess there. :-)

Any advice is much appreciated!

And please excuse the brown lawn - we haven't really had any rain here in almost 2 months!


Comments (6)

  • 11 years ago

    brookemark, my sister lives in Seattle...one of my favorite places to visit in the summer. I know you've had some warm weather and less rain. Two months doesn't sound so bad to all of us here in SoCal!

    Your roof looks like a dark gray...? If so, your color choices are fairly open. You might pull a color from the brick around the door. A closeup shot of the brick would be helpful. A gray shade could be nice, but a sage green might be another option even if it's not part of the brick. I like gray a lot, but houses with a lot of gray can sometimes appear lost in Seattle's wetter months. Sorry, it's a truly gorgeous place but that's just something I've noticed when there.

    I would consider removing the shutters since they're too small for the windows. For proper sizing, each shutter should be half the width of the window. If actually functional, the shutters would cover the window when closed. Think about painting the garage doors the same color as the siding to make them less of a focal point.

    If you do remove the shutters and window boxes, the trim around the windows should be fairly wide.

  • 11 years ago
    if you are considering a lighter color, juniper breeze by behr with ultra white trim is the color we painted our house and we have received lots of positive feedback!
    brookedark thanked Andrea Gentry
  • 11 years ago

    And yet you bought it blue, lol. Funny how that happens. Our house was natural shingles with blue trim, shutters, etc with a yellow door when we bought. Did change it. Benjamin Moore has a nice combination using gray: Body: storm (AF-700), Trim: barren plain (2111-60), Doors: philipsburg blue (HC-159). Get rid of the shutters they're not the correct size for those windows.

  • 11 years ago

    Thanks so much for the suggestions thus far! W Brown - I really like the richness that the wood tones have against a grey body. We actually will be replacing the fence at the front of the house (see pic below) and I think that modern fence could look really great.

    chloebud - yes, the roof is dark grey, and see below for a close up of the bricks. I wouldn't be against painting the brick either, if it can't mesh correctly with the rest of the house. And Seattle's winter months can be very drab and grey with all of the rain (we stick it out for these amazing summers!), so I agree with you on the point about the grey exterior. We're definitely not stuck on grey paint; I think it was my husband's suggestion as a way to get away from the blue but stay in the same general color family.

    jck910 - Yep! My husband was sold on the fact that the house has a huge shop in the back and is on 1.3 acres. I bet he was drooling over the shop so much that he didn't even notice the fact that it was blue :-)

    And wow, I never even considered the fact the shutters weren't right - this is our first house and we're newbies to all of this!

    Thank you!


    ^^ We're replacing this fence. We ripped out some bushes in front of the righthand segment last week so it's looking a little rough..

  • 11 years ago

    Oh! And what to do with the foundation? Paint it? I think it's an eye sore...