Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jamcin33

Need help to decorate this hunter green bathroom

jamcin33
11 years ago
This is my kid's bath that I would like to gut someday, but just not in the cards now! I have to live with the hunter green wall tile and floor for a while longer. My kids are 13 (boy) and 7 (girl), so it can't be too "cutsy". I need some suggestions on decorating and design. I was thinking of incorporating some sort of animal print, but I don't know where to start? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

Comments (44)

• PRO
    sarah
    11 years ago
    make ahunter green and maybe white cheetah print or just do plain black rip out the vanity if u do it cause it does not match
  • anitajoyce
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    With all the green tile and the floor tile pattern, I don't think you need to add another pattern. Maybe paint the top of the room in a nice tan or blue color to balance the patterns. You could paint the cabinet in white also. Remove the valance and add a blind to the window. Add a solid color shower curtain and a nice rug to the room also.
  • carole
    11 years ago
    i would use tiles transfers in white (or multicolored), randomly place them so as to break up the "sea of green"and paint the vanity highglosswhite and white showercurtain and rug(in any color youlike iif you choose the multicolored tiles),buy an animalprint,than it will be easier to change the theme as the kids get older...
  • analisamt
    11 years ago
    Understanding that you eventually want to guy this. I will give you just a couple cheap and easy suggestions. First, I would buy a couple neutral rugs to break up the floor. Then, I would paint the wall a nice light neutral as well to keep it simple and to make the room feel spacious and not so crowded with the different patterns. I would add some colorful (not green obviously) light fixture or decor to make it less green. If your going to invest in a light fixture though I would make sure it would work in your future Renovation plan for the bathroom.
  • analisamt
    11 years ago
    *want to gut this
  • PRO
    Barnhart Gallery
    11 years ago
    Hi Jamcin -- Is that a hunter or navy accent tile in the floor?

You're right to forego cutesy at this age. I'm gravitating to this paper:
    http://www.americanblinds.com/wallpaper/productid,98896

...with all of the accessories in white, or white with a navy accent like this:

http://www.hysupplieshealthclub.com/Images/Pooltowels_BIPT052B.jpg

With white fixtures, accessories, ceiling and mostly white floor, adding a green on navy print shouldn't overwhelm. Preppy chic classic.
  • PRO
    Barnhart Gallery
    11 years ago
    I'd also add a chunky white chair rail between the tile and paper. Or "toilet rail" in this case. Y'know, just in case...
  • tammylottero
    11 years ago
    This is rather extreme, but I would either go over the wall tile with bead board and chair rail at the top. Or see how difficult it would be to remove it before you put up bead board to cover the mess it will leave. From there, you can decorate any way you wish.
  • tabbie149
    11 years ago
    I would change the color of the sink to white . Change out the light fixture. A fixture that give off a lot of light to bright up the green . I will do a solid color like a red .Get a window treatment . Then try to us wall art words for decoration since they are teens.
  • PRO
    Warner Decor
    10 years ago
    Hi! Looks like you have a fun color in there! Here are a few suggestions for you:

(to go with the animal theme):

http://deciture.com/shop/decor/9/striped-tiger-i-martyna-zoltaszek/

This also may be helpful somewhere in the bathroom to store "bathroom stuff" aka washcloths, deodorant, etc.:

http://deciture.com/shop/decor/9/round-thomas-metal-cubby/
  • PRO
    Annette Kearney
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    http://www.houzz.com/pro/akearney/annette-kearney

I like it the way it is however, it you ever needs tiles please check my work.
  • PRO
    Barnhart Gallery
    10 years ago
    Another year-old/one-hit-wonder who posted this dilemma and never returned. Don't waste your time on it, houzzers. :)
  • brickln
    10 years ago
    I like carole's idea. I'd change the grout to black and paint the walls charcoal, then go all Margarita-ville!
  • PRO
    Impact Home Staging Experts
    10 years ago
    Re-glazing the green wall tile white will make you feel like you have a new bath. Warning the fumes from process are very strong so you would not want to be home for a day or so after. We do this all the time when selling houses. Gives buyers a new fresh perspective, until they have more $ to create the dream bath. The process on the walls the finish will hold up very well. If you have a green tub as well you can glaze that white as well. Do not use any abrasive cleaners and you will be good to go. Mine has held up for over 10 years! Most companies warranty the process pretty well. so if you have a problem they will re-do it. Pick a company with lots of experience, and has a good standing. Lots of flyby night companies with this service.
  • PRO
    Barnhart Gallery
    10 years ago
    Again, this is a year-old/one-hit-wonder who posted this dilemma and never returned. Don't waste your time on it, houzzers. :)
  • carole
    10 years ago
    bricklin,that looks like a place to be!! ;-)
  • tzyvya
    10 years ago
    Totally agree with Impact!
  • johsmi
    10 years ago
    I really like Barnhart's idea..make it all one color with white trim..
  • decoenthusiaste
    10 years ago
    @Barnhart - it is Warner Decor that keeps posting these old dilemmas! What can we do? I've tried but she keeps at it!
  • rinked
    10 years ago
    Pick colors you're already using. Make it a fun bathroom. Paint the cabinet and replace the lighting. Love the shower curtain, by the way!
  • rinked
    10 years ago
    Oh darn.. Old post.. Didn't look..
    Oh well, how are things getting along, jamcin33?
  • decoenthusiaste
    10 years ago
    @ all - I've emailed Houzz re these old posts. We'll see if they can do anything.
  • PRO
    LuHa
    10 years ago
    Dear Jamcin 33,
    May I suggest to refrain from animal stickers etc. and instead opt for a laminate wall panelling, and a laminate floor panelling. The wood not only gives the bathroom a warm feel but it will go exceptionally well with the green tiles, plus it is a very clean and fast way to make a breathtaking change, on a realtively low budget, too. Further, I would suggest to change the light above the mirror. Place lights on the left and right side of the mirror (I have not seen the complete layout of the bathroom but you could also separate the toilet from the sink with an MDF sheet again panelled with laminate wood). last but not least the sink cabinet should be changed into something more "open" and modern. As a window treatment I would suggest to go for wooden shades, no curtain.
    Keep well and all the best. Luha
  • PRO
    Agnes Willcox Interiors
    10 years ago
    I think you would be pleasantly surprised at the difference that adding a white tile chair rail to the top of the wall tile would make. I would also frame your mirror in with the same chair rail tile or get a new mirror - the mirrors with a mirrored frame are popular. Replace the dated sconce with a chrome fixture with shaded bulbs. Also painting the vanity white and replacing the counter top with a white molded marble top - NO swirls, all white so it looks like porcelain with an integrated sink - very inexpensive yet looks good. Also of course new faucet and cabinet hardware. Since your drawers are slab front, you could use a large cup pull, but definitely an oversize pull (5-6", not 3"), no knobs. Walls semi-gloss white - add brightly colored oil or acrylic paintings - many don't need framing and you may want to do one large and then a collection of 4 small on another wall.
  • mcdckc
    10 years ago
    Barnhart gallery has the best ideas by far!!!!
  • jobyrc
    10 years ago
    Pick a color from the shower curtain and paint the walls. Then paint the counter (you tube-its easy) a dark color. I like grey. Add some pulls to the cabinets and maybe a cool faucet.
  • Aged Techie
    10 years ago
    Cheapest, quickest fixes: paint the vanity a glossy white and replace the mirror(s) with framed, hung mirrors. In the process you may have to repair the mirror wall, so sticking with white all around for the paint would probably be best. Add some green/white towels and a few carefully chosen accessories and you should be good for a long time.
  • uberv
    10 years ago
    I'd paint the vanity white and add either funky colored knobs or animal shaped pulls; replace the light fixture with a smaller one from the home store;add a white frame to the mirror (there are products to do this); get a colorful curtain/shade that picks up a color from the shower curtain and throw down a couple of washable rugs that also coordinate with it. If you paint the upper walls dark you'll not see the cool turtle but a very light sea green would work with the tiles and keep him the focal point. The you see is the high contrast between the tiles on the wall and the white upper walls and floor. If you decrease this contrast it will be more cohesive and you may find living with the tiles a while longer is less of an issue. I would avoid wood or laminate floors in a kids bath because they are just not designed to deal with lots of water. There are vinyl peel and stick planks designed for below grade installation which is inherently damp that could give you the look of wood and not get trashed by the splashing.

Knobs- http://www.target.com/p/liberty-hardware-35-mm-turtle-knob-brushed-satin-pewter-set-of-2/-/A-14906820?ref=tgt_adv_XSB10002&AFID=bingpa_df&LNM=|14906820&CPNG=Unassigned&ci_src=328768002&ci_sku=14906820&kpid=14906820&LID=PA

http://www.atgstores.com/knobs/hot-knobs-hk3112-k-green-spring-green-knob_g920030.html?af=3631&cse=3631

DIY Mirror frame http://www.lowes.com/creative-ideas/bed-and-bath/mirror-frame/project
  • pammk
    10 years ago
    There is a paint and process you can paint the tile with: my friend used it in her kitchen that had YELLOW bath tile! She did a prep and was able to choose a color she desired. It made the tile pretty much disappear. Check with Sherwin Williams/Home Depot. It would make your dilemma much less of one and give the kids a choice...maybe an intense turquoise, whatever their taste. Definitely paint the sink cabinet and remember to keep it simple. Not too much for early morning tired eyes to take in.
  • Brooke W
    10 years ago
    Light to medium gray walls, brushed nickel light fixture and hardware and paint the cabinetry white. Accessorize with white towels and rugs. You can bleach them if necessary and teen acne products tend to discolor towels, and kids are just messy in general. It'll look classy and you probably care about how it looks more than they do. Steer clear of a themed space.
  • erinsean
    10 years ago
    We painted the pink tile in our bathroom....painted it white 10 years ago and it is still very nice. Check with the paint department at Lowe's and they can give you advice on what paint to use.
  • PRO
    Pro Painting & Remodeling
    10 years ago
    You have more space then you think in that bathroom. The setup is which makes it look cramped. Give us a call if you desire any help from a professional company. (404) 587-4573 we do free estimate.
  • PRO
    Robin Lechner Designs
    10 years ago
    Wallpaper in a textured geometric or stripe would bring the floor and wainscoting together. Pick something in a very light shade of the hunter green and/or or the color of the tile with hunter green stripe. (photo colors aren't exact, but will give you an idea for pattern and contrast)
  • PRO
    Barnhart Gallery
    10 years ago
    My goodness, this thread just won't stop! Homeowner posted a year ago and hasn't returned. Hate to see so many waste their efforts.
  • octoberjamie
    10 years ago
    Look into painting the tile !!
  • danalynny
    10 years ago
    Add a thck moder stained wooden frame around the mirror, change out the light fixture to a modren one. Paint cabinet in navy or same color as the mirror. Paint walls a tan color with coordinating horizontal blinds either tan or same color as mirror or roman shade that is in scotish plaid in navy green and yellow. Add several large framed artwork made by your children.
  • Geneviève
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    I would go orange to make this bathroom more fun ,let me see if I can find an idea for it :)

okay
    this would be the orange
    Master Bathroom · More Info

Wood Green Toucan Bird on Metal Perch Hanging Statue 23 Inch · More Info

carole
    I like that toucan for the wall with it :)
  • PRO
    Doors & More
    10 years ago
    A good place to start would be to get rid of the shower curtain. By installing a shower door not only will it open up the space but it will also give the bathroom a more modern look.
  • Rhodalynn
    10 years ago
    I like this bathroom. I would paint the cabinet white and put on some handles. A new light fixture and a new shower curtain too.
  • Rolanda Smith
    10 years ago
    This is old, so I hope this helps. Off white and gold striped wall paper on the top, with gold or brass fixtures. Change the toilet seat and vanity, and maybe add a nice roman shade at the window in off white.
  • PRO
    nls creations, inc.
    10 years ago
    Paint the vanity white and do a fabulous wall paper. And an animal print would work!! Good Luck.
  • Karen Geer
    10 years ago
    Instead of "working around" the tiles, embrace them. Paint the walls to math and add white wall decals, or stencils, of white trees. The kids can then decorate the trees with birds, frogs, leaves, flowers, squirrels, etc