Software
Houzz Logo Print
celestialraven

First renovation of dresser

11 years ago
I have done my first renovation of this dresser which I sanded and stained the top, fitted the drawers, put new hardware on and painted. I went to stain the drawer fronts but actually liked the little distressed bare wood that came from it. My question is, should I leave it as is, stain it gray like the top or paint them white?

Comments (12)

  • 11 years ago

    I think it would be best all in the distressed grey. It is a very on trend look now and I think a piece this busy looks best all one color. But if you love it as you have done it, and you obviously do, then just use it as you have finished it and live with it for while and see what your comfort level is.

  • 11 years ago
    Thanks. I do agree that it is a bit busy but thought it looked a bit unique. It is in my kitchen right now as more of an extra counter and drawer area but may move it into the family room so I think your suggestion may be best. Thanks!
  • PRO
    11 years ago

    What a transformation!

  • 11 years ago

    I find it very elegant!!! It is unique indeed! The combination of the white, grey and brown colour is something that I love and you combined it all on a dresser! I think that I would love to have it in my entrance room, beside long wall mirror! Could you add a quick description of how you did this?

  • 11 years ago
    I sanded the whole dresser first, mostly by hand, with the grain (that's important for the stain on the top). You must go from a heavy grain sand paper down to a very fine sand paper to make the top smooth. I then stained the top with an oil based gray stain twice and coated with polyacrylic (so it doesn't yellow over time). I then used a Dutch Boy paint called Timeless Ivory for the sides. I replaced all the hardware and just have the drawer fronts left alone after I sanded. If I keep it the way it is, I will coat the drawer fronts with polyacrylic. Otherwise, I may paint the drawers white or stain gray like the top. Not sure yet on that. I think it looks neat as is and in the right setting would like nice just the way it is.
  • 11 years ago
    I actually painted some design on my other refurb dressers in a more modern look. I think it all depends on what room and the style. Maybe I will do some more detailed designs on the next dresser. Thanks for the ideas!
  • 11 years ago
    Love it! Nice job!
  • 11 years ago
    Love the painted surfaces, just wish the hardware provided additional zing to the project.
  • PRO
    11 years ago

    Nice job!

  • PRO
    11 years ago
    A little too much color going on there ,I would stick to the grey and maybe if you want a little contrast white would be nice.
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    I feel the front almost feels like it was forgotten. For a kitchen, I would paint it all grey - see below for an idea of what it could look like - just more modern and appropriate for a kitchen and have fun accessorizing.

    Holiday Decor · More Info