Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maddpainter

English boxwoods getting fungus?

maddpainter
8 years ago
These are only about two weeks old. I don't think I over watered. Either my dog has been watering these last two at end of driveway or they're getting a fungus. Shock from transplant? Any ideas or am I worrying over nothing? Last pic is of shrubs newly planted.

Comments (16)

• maddpainter
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Image 1. Yellowed, looking puny.
    Image 2. Better looking one in partial shade.
    House faces north.
  • PRO
    Revolutionary Gardens
    8 years ago

I'm not seeing anything from the pics that has me alarmed, but reach out to your local county extension office. Someone on staff will be able to help you out most likely.

• joannjurusz
    8 years ago

Look into volutella blight. My huge 15 year old boxwoods have the fungus. I was afraid I was going to lose them. I had to remove the dead branches and spray with Immunox every two weeks in the spring. It worked.

• barbra123
    8 years ago

Try Neem oil... it fixes a lot of problems including fungus. Use once a week for about 6 weeks....

• Christine Amey
    8 years ago

Sounds like over watering which can break down the amune system leaving plants open to catch anything!

• Geneviève
    8 years ago

Dogs love these , just hose them down and purchase a spray to keep dogs away from it . we have an edge and people walking their dogs should be a little more considerate and let their dogs pee on the fire hydrants instead.

• diyer59
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I have boxwoods in front of my home in an area that gets 100 degree temps in the summer, they do fine there. However, inconsiderate neighbors walk their dogs and stop to allow them to urinate on the bushes, that burns the leaves. You can tell exactly where the favorite spot is, two end bushes are nearly dead. When they finally die, I'll bill the nasty dog walkers for replacement bushes.

• melodygrill61
    8 years ago

I thought the harsh winter in OH turn one area of my bushes brown. Big round spots, but too high for pet to wet on.

• kathy Brehm
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I have about 500 boxwood on my property. Some in direct sun, some in dense shade, some in partial shade. Some sit in a puddle of water, some get normal watering and some get hardly any water. The only thing that has damaged them is our dog lifting his leg on them. If you catch the dog and rinse the plant immediately there will be no burn. If you don't catch it, depending on how much surface the dog hits it will die. Our plants average in age from just propagated to about 4 years old. We live in an area where high temperatures can reach 115+ and the lows in the 20's. Your first image looks like not enough water.

• makmartell
    8 years ago

Yep, my money also says not enough water, rather than too much or a fungus. How have you been watering - how much and how often? (also - what part of the country are you in?)

• maddpainter
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    I did apply neem oil and root stimulator. I was watering every other day because it was near 90 degrees and the rock does hold heat. I will increase mulch ring. It has cooled off so I am watering deep once a week. The image below was taken this evening. The other plants in second image look fine. The ground was not graded when driveway was put in, so lack of water makes sense. Thanks to all for your input. I will keep my fingers crossed
  • maddpainter
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Forgot to mention we are in Illinois just outside St. Louis.
  • makmartell
    8 years ago

Almost certainly not a fungus... If it's been hot and dry, those are not conditions where a fungus would thrive. FYI, don't apply neem oil when it's sunny out... you'll fry the plant. (Sun + an oil = think magnifying glass and an ant...). Keep it decently watered, trim off the unhappy bits, maybe give it a bit of compost, and that's it. It's just a little stressed from being newly planted and a bit dry. It'll be fine.

Doesn't need neem. Neem should also never be applied when bees and other pollinators are out flying... it's a powerful insecticide. If you do need to use it (should only be when you have an identified pest you want to control), then apply it at dusk. It'll dry by morning, and won't kill the pollinators.

• maddpainter
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thank you for the positive comments. I did apply neem oil at dusk. Will keep trying!
  • maddpainter
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Kathy Brehm, your area of boxwoods and roses(?) I believe are beautiful. You did a great job!