Software
Houzz Logo Print
tianet13

lighting strategies over a peninsula

10 years ago

I have a small kitchen with a ceiling fan in the middle of the room. I am removing the light above the stove. I would like to add pendant lights over the peninsula. Do you think in would look to busy with pendant lights hanging down and the ceiling fan. What about puck lights? The peninsula is 5 ft long. Thank you for your help.

Comments (12)

  • 10 years ago

    The ceiling is only 7ft. 10 in. Going to update fan though, I live in southwest Arizona where the temp. can reach 110 degrees. I will put in 2 recessed downlights. Thank so much.

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    Definitely a good idea to update your ceiling fan considering where you live, tianet13! We have a selection of fans that can be installed either as huggers (looks like that's how you have yours now) or very close to ceiling to help you. Let me know if you'd like some recommendations.

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    Ceiling hugger fan and white. Repaint the ceiling with ceiling white ............no shine on the ceiling.


  • PRO
    10 years ago

    I agree. I would do (2) recessed lights over the peninsula and probably update the ceiling fan. Good Luck!

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    If heat is already a concern make sure that you ask for an LED retrofit in the can or there are nice looking surface mount LED's that give you more lumens than a standard can and trim. I would definitely recommend LED undercabinet lighting.

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    I'd recommend changing the lighting to recessed and obtaining a more uniform and symmetric general lighting plan. Pendants can then go above the island. Take away the fan.

  • 10 years ago

    Puck lights would be okay for the undercab, but not on the ceiling as not enough light would reach the work area. Tape light is another good option for your undercab.

    If you do use puck lights I would recommend LEDs, the halogens get very hot and in Arizona you don't need more of that.


    I agree on LED recess. Be sure to research the light output of LED recess, the technology is still changing rapidly and there are very good and very poor choices out there. LED is still very much a "You get what you pay for item" as far a light output and color rendering.

  • 10 years ago

    Check out "L" shaped track lighting that would attach to the same box where your current overhead light is located but curve over the peninsula to light it as well.

  • 10 years ago

    I'm in NorCal where the temps reach 110F frequently in the summer, too. I'd want the ceiling fan closer to the stove, when you replace the ceiling fan can you get a matching one for where the light is now? Two ceiling fans are not too much when it's hot outside and hotter in the kitchen.

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    For what I can see by removing the surface mounted light fixture you have you will need more light than the pendant lights above the island. If possible I would install some recessed lights so you have enough lighting for the cabinets area and do the pendants, you can install two pendants above the island. I think it will be ok even with the fan just don't get them to big and try to find some that will combine with your fan. If you go to a lighting store they can help you in the selection and some stores might even do a reflected ceiling plan for you.

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    no problem mixing fans with pendants with recessed ceiling fixtures. just don't put in a fan with a light attached. there are many ways to do this. here are a few.