Software
Houzz Logo Print
natalietate

How do YOU start on a room? (Bedroom)

11 years ago

When you're working in a new space, where do you start? Furniture arrangement, color palette, a focal piece...

I ask because we're working on our master bedroom. When I say 'working on', I mean we literally just unpacked the last master bedroom box from our move a few weeks ago and we're exploring how to make this space feel like home.

I'm wondering if we'd be better to move the bed to another part of the room, or if there's a piece of furniture to consider for the long empty wall. We'll repaint the walls a lighter, brighter color. The carpet will be staying for now.

Where would you start with this bedroom?

Photos are below, the room is 13' 9" x 13'.

View from the door, looking diagonally across room:

View from bathroom door looking to entry:

View from corner looking to entry:



Comments (9)

  • 11 years ago

    Find something you love and use it as inspiration. Last summer we stayed at a B&B that had just been renovated. The owner did all of the decorating and it was lovely. I asked how she managed to make each room feel special and different. She said that for some rooms, she just found a fabulous duvet cover and picked every other item based on that. Or established a theme and went from there. It can be really overwhelming - I am going through this myself. For example, the new sofa we bought came with 3 lovely custom made toss cushions. I didn't want them in my living room, but knew they would be a great start for the guest bedroom.

    Natalie thanked beseaside
  • 11 years ago

    Have you tried putting the bed on the long wall so that it faces the window? I can't tell from the pictures if you have enough space for that but if the doors would still open comfortably and the room is large enough, I think it may look good.

    I actually like the wall color. I would probably start with the bed - I think a white or light colored headboard that is taller than your current one would look really good.

    Natalie thanked izeve
  • 11 years ago
    Looking at your room, I am struck by the beautiful casework around your doors. I think that white plantation shutters would look striking for the windows. Go shopping for new bed linens and go from there. Good luck; fun project.
    Natalie thanked mcbmd3
  • 11 years ago

    I think the bed should go on longest wall in room to have space nightstands and get into and out of the bed and for ease of making it.

  • 11 years ago

    I start by positioning the bed. 2540872540 times til I get it right. Then I position all the other pieces about the same amount of times. I pull the wall color from the comforter, white is safe.

  • 11 years ago

    I would start by getting a larger mattress! That looks like a Full on a platform bed meant for a Queen? King? Then I would look for a really WOW comforter, bedspread, or duvet cover. Something in a print, then pick everything from the colors in the bedcovers.

  • PRO
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    velvet & greenHey Natalie!

    I actually love the color of your walls and think you just need to finish "moving in" to the room. Add some nice floor length velvet or fun printed curtains, lots more printed and larger bed pillows, a nice throw and a focal point above your bed. I would go larger and more funky with the end tables, and add some art. I would move the dresser to the empty wall, and get a long, low dresser that you could add more lighting and accessories to. Good luck!

  • 11 years ago
    1. Create a floor plan
    2. Determine general look and feel you want to achieve - browse Houzz pictures, pinterest, etc. Pick inspiration rooms
    3. Create mood board - browse online sites for furniture, sheets, wall decor, etc. - put everything together and see how they look
    4. Create some kind of a project plan - you want to start with the big things first and work your way down to the little things.