Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lmuhrich

Dining room disaster help

lmuhrich
8 years ago

Love to get some feedback on what would work in this dining room. Ethan Allen table is staying...chairs have to go! Hardwoods are staying with the honey oak finish for the time being. Need new lighting, paint, chairs, art, etc. HELP!! Thanks

Dining Room Disaster · More Info

Dining Room Disaster · More Info

Comments (68)

• Missy Bee
    8 years ago
    I like to have the rug reach at least 2 feet from edge of table all around to allow chairs to be pulled from the table (so you can sit down) and still be on the rug. Beyond that you might want to take into account the room shape and go larger but take into account any protrusions from cabinets or other .... So add 48" to each of your table dimensions to determine preferred minimum size.
  • PRO
    User
    8 years ago

The room is pretty dark to me so u need to bring more light. a big mirror and a side board instead of the big old buffet. similar to http://sainteriordesignstoronto.com/treasured-moments.html

on the other wall you can use print or mural with panoramic view similar to http://sainteriordesignstoronto.com/fire-to-the-rain.html

I would prefer a rectangular crystal chandelier.

• ecpt
    8 years ago
    I love that tulip print!
  • lmuhrich
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I so thank you for all these ideas. Keep them coming ... So grateful. I havent changed up my house in 15 years....Its DUE!

• Maureen
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I would worry that the legs are too curvey with your set. Solid chairs can be so expensive..what do you think about reupholstering your chairs and you could add slipcovers on the two end chairs. Spend the money instead on a chandelier (one in 2nd picture is really nice) simple natural fiber rug, bold art, and paint (colors below below would compliment your living room). I would remove the piece that is in the corner and on the back wall add a console with large art above. Chose an item and take the plung! Good luck.

Dining Room · More Info
    Bellevue Residence · More Info

Kravet Contract Fabric Tamir Limoncello 3848.411.0 · More Info

• Susan Davis
    8 years ago

You have very lovely furniture and a great piece of art over the fireplace. Select a color from the major art piece that works with the grey suede sofas. It doesn't have to be an exact color but could be lighter or darker. The picture looks like it has reds, oranges, teal, ivory, buff and maybe apricot?

1. You could select ONE color from the picture and paint the fireplace wall the darkest color, then the rest of the living room one or two colors lighter on the paint chip and then the dining room one or two colors light than that.

2. Or you could select THREE colors from the painting and do the smallest amount of color in the dining room, the largest amount of color as the focal wall of the fireplace and the other and the middling amount of color in the living room.

3. Another idea is to choose three colors from the tile floor and paint the focal, living and dining walls in those three colors.

Chairs can be done in any of your colors that you choose to paint the rooms or a print variation of the colors in the room, etc.

I would do woven Roman shades on all the windows in the two rooms to unify the areas.

Also possible thought of having frosted patterned glass inset doors made to hide your shelving items; it is competing with the beautiful fireplace and art.

Use same rug in dining room as living room and add a very structural rectangular chandelier.

This is the idea I had in mind but not this scale!

Leather chairs in a color OR neutral (which ever sings to your heart if you even like these ideas! haha) and rectangular chandy.

Tice Residences · More Info

Z gallerie light fixture?

Newport Beach House Renovation · More Info

Cool light; maybe Ballard Design or PB

Shady Grove Kitchen · More Info

This could be your dining room with the addition of chandy, rug, and soft hosts chairs all done in colors that match your fireplace insert stonework. Click on More info for extra pictures, etc.

Marina Drive · More Info

• sheilaskb
    8 years ago

As per my computer it looks as if the living room walls are ivory or light grey. So, I would suggest you paint the dining room a light neutral blue and then have some light and medium blue accessories in the adjacent living room to tie the color scheme together.

• lmuhrich
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Dining Room needs help · More Info
    Update...This is where I am at this point.. Found an area rug (its leather) bought a runner for the table and painted the dining room and living room Bungalow Beige. Still need help with the dining chairs and chandeleir. Considering two drum pendants? I would love to get the chairs reupholstered but not really sure the wing back is Transitonal in styly. The vase with sticks is there now because it is usually where the Christmas tree is. Any thoughts or advice is greatly appreciated. Heading in the right direction i hope?

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    8 years ago

From my computer monitor that paint has lots of pink in the beige. Also looks more pink than your new rug. I would have selected something more neutral.

Since your chandelier has to be swagged, I'm not sure it's possible to swag 2 drum shades..............frankly not even the elongated the drum shade I show in this image. Maybe it looks better in person, but the rug is a bit disappointing. I would have selected a patterned flat weave for the dining room like the Arts and Crafts styles I have shown. Not sure the large vase and branches has a future in your home.

• lmuhrich
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I am not sold on the rug yet either. Think it needs to be moved into the master bedroom

• lmuhrich
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Paint Color SW 7511 Bungalow Beige from Sherwin-Williams · More Info
    Closer view of wall color.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    8 years ago

Well that SW paint is close to BB from Behr, however, I purchase rugs first and then figure out the paint for the walls.

What paint color do you have in the family room? Same color or different?

• lmuhrich
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    It is the same color in the other room although gets a lot more light!
  • cstabile09
    8 years ago

Hi. I just wanted to say that the current design of your dining room area is a big improvement over the original pic back in early November. The additions you've made so far really make a difference. I love the splashes of color and the addition of the table runner. And the size of the rug looks perfect given the footprint of the table. I think you've done well.

• duane93065
    8 years ago
    I would swap out the chairs for something more modern, maybe even ones that are polycarbonate for a pop of color, a longer chandelier running with the table, and a rug and art that has a pop of color. Can you relocate that small piece at the end? Is it a wine fridge?

You can also put some pieces in the back of the china cabinet for a pop of color. You can even paint the inside of the China cabinet a light color to make the items inside pop. If you don't want to paint the inside, you can always make panels to fit inside and paint them.
  • laurkade
    8 years ago
    Much better! I would consider rug similar to rugs Beverly has suggested. If you decide to keep the rug you have under table, I would find a contemporary runner with some color. You could find a large contemporary bowl to go table. If need more color, find sole large solid balls to go in bowl. If you keep table runner, I would use more contemporary flowers on table- bird of paradise, gerber daisy, etc. find something of color to go on top of hutch as Beverly suggested. Find large canvas piece of art for other wall as suggested in previous post. I would look at some store sites for chairs (Crate & Barrel, West Elm,
    Pottery Barn, Pier One, World Market etc) all have some nice contemporary chairs. You can decide if you want to purchase two for end of table, 4 chairs or 6 chairs. I suggested these stores because of their return policy. You can purchase them, try them and return if do not like. The first three stores ( CB, WE, PB) have started selling canvas prints. You might decide to purchase 4 chairs and put two on each side of table giving you a more contemporary look. Place two of existing chairs on sides of hutch. You could add coordinated, contemporary pillows in these chairs. Like the drum light fixture Beverly selected.
  • lmuhrich
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thank for the feedback . The runner and flowers were post Thanksgiving decor . Like the idea of a large bowl! . I think Beverly's rug suggestions are wonderful. But I feel they look a little traditional for my taste. My goal is to to make the The room more inviting. And flow better as you walk into the living area. That has always been my favorite room in the house with it soft colors and awesome lighting and windows . Thinking of trying to create a spa like house . Ha!!
  • PRO
    Transforming Rooms
    8 years ago

A contrast host and hostess chair would be much less expensive than replacing all the chairs, (and add color & texture)

One large piece of art can make a huge impact AND

Dining Room with arched entrance · More Info

help to balance the large hutch. Above this shows a contrast host and hostess.

Hope this helps ?

• lmuhrich
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Belham Living Frances Dining Chair - Set of 2 - 3185 -JSY-W0055 · More Info

Think these have a possibility for end chairs.? I am liking my rug a bit and think it may stay as it has a very airy feel both in color and texture. The color of these chairs would work better and then I can add the color with art, décor, . Help me please.

• everdebz
    8 years ago

I'm trying to get your "feedback" as to what's been said - how does it blend with LR for example, etc... is there any grey? If not, don't. I saw your art with sienna and teal. What about teal chairs? Sienna and leather is too earthy probably.

• lmuhrich
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    A closer look at the rug. Although it looks less purple in real life
  • duane93065
    8 years ago
    Yes, the chairs you are showing would look great. You could also do benches it you wanted on the sides, with the upholstered chairs at the ends.
  • everdebz
    8 years ago

That might be a tough rug with chair movements. Might be better under coffee table somewhere.

• lmuhrich
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Okay I asked, you told me... I listened. Thanks HOUZZ!! The rug has been sent back to OVERSTOCK. It feels good. Ha . Had a love /hate relationship with that thing. Looked tattered and torn and looks like it should be in a beach house. Not a dining room. What was I thinking ?? Need your help to find me a rug ASAP as I am hosting Xmas for the family!! . Bev I love your ideas always but the rug ones just are not quite my style. Any other ideas for calming and inviting and contemporary. I am now done with natural sisal , leather and jute. My dog thinks it is fun to play with.

• everdebz
    8 years ago

Funny animals.

Almost Infinity Duet 2 Light Suspension · More Info

• everdebz
    8 years ago

Not this, but what if you found one with an interesting shape like this has?

Jasmine 2 - Corona del Mar · More Info

• duane93065
    8 years ago
    Check West Elm for rugs, I just got one from there and the quality was fabulous. A Kilm rug will not interfere with moving chairs....

The one I got in the picture is not the right look for your place just showing you for the heck of it.
  • duane93065
    8 years ago
    Here are a few of their Kilim rugs.
  • everdebz
    8 years ago

idk your budget,

photo elenachandi.jpg · More Info

• syds_13
    8 years ago
    The room is a great size. But since there's no natural light it makes the room look more dim. Maybe you could add some bright colors with a little bit of dark to even it out
    A standing, flowers on the table or something to give the table more detail, and you could add some cushions on the chairs and just make the chairs a little bit lighter.
  • lmuhrich
    Original Author
    8 years ago

@everdebz love that but out of my budget.

• everdebz
    8 years ago

That's not a 'like' but 'I get it'. :)

lmuhrich thanked everdebz
  • lmuhrich
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Making some progress?
  • baileysr
    7 years ago
    So pretty! I like what you've done. Love the rug.
    lmuhrich thanked baileysr
  • Joel Egnater
    7 years ago

I like your furniture! A modern textile with color would brighten the chairs. If you really want a modern look take out the pass through to the other room...open is modern. If thats not an option, parsons slipcovers for the chairs is a cost effective option. Any rug with color would help. Not sure what the cabinet in the corner is doing there but modern would mean less furniture in general.

lmuhrich thanked Joel Egnater
  • PRO
    Sustainable Dwellings
    7 years ago

I would keep the four side chairs and paint them, add cushions. Get two upholstered chairs for the ends.... That light above in pic is horrible. If you want a contemporary home... you need to start fresh with everything, but you can modify nicely with some help here.

lmuhrich thanked Sustainable Dwellings
  • lmuhrich
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I so appreciate your comments! I was thinking my overstock chandelier was kind of funky and cool and in my budget.... It illuminates the walls at night. The pass-through cannot be removed as it is structural. The Zebra striped rug finally is a keeper. I cannot tell you how many I bought and returned on overstock.com. I'm curious about pillows on the chairs I have not seen that before but love the idea. I am looking for two end chairs that are funky and tie in. Any ideas?

• lmuhrich
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    It’s such a work in progress what do you think
  • lmuhrich
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Please remember this is where I started!!
  • Jeanette Vey
    5 years ago

Looks great!!!!

lmuhrich thanked Jeanette Vey
  • lmuhrich
    Original Author
    5 years ago

William Hefner Architecture Interiors & Landscape · More Info
    This is such my goal!!!

• everdebz
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I looked into your photo and noticed a shiny grey vase for the flowers... :)

like the rug's grey... but your blue-chair photo has walls more grey than yours; that's a difference that matters, imo.

• lmuhrich
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Weird lighting filter I had on my phone...I found a centerpiece i lIke. Thoughts? Its still not a pop of color but I want to add two navy blue end chairs like the pic above. I added the leaf to the table for a dinner party the other day. I would love some recommendation on chairs. I really want to sell the cherry curio cabinet. I'm over it. I think it is beautiful but so heavy in this room. I keep imagining a sideboard/buffet in the nook with pretty art and two side lamps? Thoughts? I wish I could move the curio somewhere else but i have no room for it

• lmuhrich
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Something like this??

Lucille Dining Chair, Blue · More Info

• lmuhrich
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Been looking at this sideboard for awhile and on sale!

• Melisa Goerndt
    5 years ago
    You should do your goal!
    Add glass to back drop & make that the focal point.
    Add buffet in place of curio.

I like the leaf in table but I do think it needs 6 chairs.

I like the sliver vase better for Height. I think the one you just placed there is too tall.
    Also, you could paint the frame of art you have on rear wall from black to sliver to match sliver vase.
    This can easily be done with a spray can from Home Depot.
  • Melisa Goerndt
    5 years ago
    Mirrored glass**
    lmuhrich thanked Melisa Goerndt
  • lmuhrich
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Any thoughts on the buffet or chair I am liking. I can handle the truth or I can live with the curio and freshen it up a bit. Somehow? Ideas welcomed

• lmuhrich
    Original Author
    5 years ago

The credenza is way more yellow than I thought looks not so good with my paint color. Can you help with a neutral paint color for the dining room? SW Creamy?

• lmuhrich
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Paint Color SW 7511 Bungalow Beige from Sherwin-Williams · More Info

This is the wall color in the living room and dining room. I would consider a more neutral warm off white color. Ideas?

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio