Software
Houzz Logo Print
msingh781

Advise on dealing with bad kitchen contractor

10 years ago
last modified: 10 years ago

On June 19th I haired a custom kitchen contractor,
which I found here on Houzz, to build
and install new custom kitchen cabinets. They promised (in
contract) to be done by July 24thand I am still
waiting.

At the beginning, everything seems to be going smoothly, made
my deposit to get things started. I ended up paying them off
for the project because I had the money. Oh boy did I learn from my mistake,
they have broken all promises, missed all the dates. The tone of communication
has changed and the owner is avoiding my calls and text.

I have tried everything I could to reach out to this guy to
get this project completed. I even assist in buying material to finish off some
panels. He promised again to finish my kitchen before thanksgiving and with no
surprise, I am still waiting. Clearly seems that this guy have no interest in
finish my kitchen.

I welcome any advice on how to handle this situation moving
forward

Comments (10)

  • 10 years ago

    Thank you CFI.

    I already reported them to BBB and looking into the local licensing agency before to go to the lawyer route.


    Regards,

  • 10 years ago

    What do you think is the approximate dollar amount it will take to finish? You could easily spend that in lawyers fees when you could take that money to finish the job, then take them to small claims court and recover some of the money. As far as the BBB, I have been down that road. The BBB will send out a letter, all the guy has to do is respond. Just respond with basically anything and the BBB will say they received a response and they will close the case. You would then have to respond again and have more documentation to prove your case. If you do, they will reopen the case. They may offer arbitration. It is a long process.

    msingh781 thanked User
  • 10 years ago

    You say you found this contractor on Houzz, why are you not divulging his company name?


    msingh781 thanked User
  • 10 years ago

    If he is not responding to calls and texts, I would definitely move to sending letters (maybe certified or return receipt requested) so that he cannot deny the communication. If he continues to fail to respond, I am not sure you have any choice but to get an attorney. My guess is the cost of the work left is too high for small claims court. It is a shame to have to incur an attorney's fees, but if you do, you should also aim to recover your legal fees in any settlement you reach.

    msingh781 thanked susanalanandwrigley
  • PRO
    10 years ago

    I am sorry for your trouble. Question- Is the work that has been done so far good quality?

    msingh781 thanked Dishington Construction - Jensen Hus
  • 10 years ago

    Thanks Margo, I also filed an complaint with the Department of Business and Professional Regulation. Getting someone else to complete the work and going to the small claims to recover some of the cost is my next option. He has material which I bought for the side panels and his brother has been doing some of the work. Just want to see how far he gets.

    As for quality, this is not really what i expected. Still seeing visible over-spray, screw holes, the shaker panel shifting withing frame, drawers still need adjusting.etc, really crappy job. some of the doors had to get reworked, also the waterfall counter and base had to be re-seated to get it leveled.

    I will be posting my review on Houzz so that others will be aware.



  • 10 years ago

    Well, when you are done posting that review on Houzz, copy and paste it to Yelp and Google and any contractor's sites that take reviews. When I went through my ordeal, I posted anywhere and everywhere. I even thought of putting up a billboard, lol. I can laugh now, and so will you one day when it is behind you. Hang in there!

    msingh781 thanked User
  • 10 years ago

    I'm wondering if he's been paying for materials in full and paying any subs he's used. If not, they can put a lien on your home and you may not know it till you sell it. You need to get a release of lien from him to protect yourself. Doesn't sound like the brother is a craftsman either.

    msingh781 thanked pegjustpeg
  • 10 years ago

    This was on a contractor we used , not the one you are using to clarify my comment

    msingh781 thanked tammra2